Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

N1H1 flu Q & A any answers or questions please post it here

Swine Flu Q & A - MSN Health & Fitness - Health Topics

great info I wanted to pass on

Map: Swine flu cases in the U.S. - Swine flu- msnbc.com

outbreak map

please leave this for questions and answers and anything that may be helpful for people

Last edited by Dave19642006; 04-29-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 44

Re: "Swine" flu Q & A

Kinda goes against a company letter I recieved... Which working in the hog industry.. I kinda trust it more then someone on MSN.

You may have been hearing recent reports about North American Influenza the so-called “Swine Flu” (A/H1N1) and that some people in the US, Mexico, and a few other countries have contracted this flu.

We bring this to your attention so you can take precautions, as with any flu outbreak. We value the health and safety of our Team Members and want to keep you informed. Below is a Q&A about the flu virus and precautions to take.

Please be assured this is not a food safety concern. Neither contact with pigs, handling raw pork nor eating pork has been linked to the spread of this flu.
    Your health and well-being is our top priority. The following information will help you understand basic facts about this flu and how to keep yourself healthy.

Q. What is the North American/Swine Flu?
    A: There are many forms of influenza that can infect people, birds, pigs and other animals such as ferrets. North American flu, or North American influenza, is a new virus which has characteristics of swine, avian and human virus components and has not been identified in any animals thus far.
    Q: How do people catch North American/Swine Flu?
    A: Flu is generally transmitted through the respiratory tract. The flu can spread from person to person by coughing and sneezing. Again, neither contact with pigs, handling raw pork nor eating pork has been linked to the spread of North American/Swine flu.
    Q: What are the symptoms of North American/Swine Flu?
    A: The symptoms are similar to other seasonal flu viruses that include fever of 100 degrees or more, coughing, sneezing, headaches and body aches, chills, and sometimes vomiting and diarrhea. Adults with severe illness may also have difficulty breathing, dizziness, confusion, or severe vomiting and diarrhea.
    Q: How can I protect myself from North American/Swine Flu?
    A: The most important thing to do to protect yourself is to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Avoid contact with sick people, or those who are coughing or sneezing. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it and then wash your hands. Alcohol-based hands sanitizers are also effective. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth because germs can spread that way.
    Q: What should I do if I think I have North American/Swine Flu?
    A: People who get sick with flu symptoms should stay home and contact their physician, especially if they have chronic illnesses. Avoid prolonged contact with people and get medical attention. If you become ill at work, notify your supervisor, and go see your doctor or nurse at work. We want to maintain a healthy and safe work environment for you and our Team Members.
    Q: If I do have North American/Swine Flu, what should I do?
    A: Follow your doctor or health care professional’s advice. Stay at home until you’re cleared to return to work. Avoid contact with people. Let your supervisor or manager know what’s going on.
    Q: How can I tell if my child is sick with North American/Swine Flu?
    A: If your child is suffering from coughing, lack of appetite, fever and lethargy, he or she may just have the flu. If your child is also experiencing a sore throat, body aches, runny nose, vomiting, nausea and diarrhea, you should seek medical attention. At the very least CALL YOUR DOCTOR OR PEDIATRICIAN. A phone call is free and will help set your mind at ease. If your child has no desire to drink fluids, is irritable or you notice a rash in addition to the other symptoms listed above call your physician. Children who are breathing abnormally fast or slowly may have respiratory illness. Bluish skin indicates a need for quick attention.
    Q. What should I do if I suspect someone at work has this flu?
    A: Please notify your supervisor or manager if you notice a Team Member who has flu-like symptoms so they can get medical attention if required. Supervisors and managers should then encourage those Team Members to see the nurse at their facility or personal health care professional.
    Q: How can someone with the flu infect someone else?
    A: This flu can be passed from person to person by respiratory transmission.Infected people may be able to infect others beginning one day before symptoms develop and up to seven or more days after becoming sick. That means you may be able to pass on the flu to someone else before you even know you’re sick, as well as while you’re sick.
    Q: How long can an infected person spread the North American/Swine Flu to others?
    A: People with this virus should be considered potentially contagious as long as they have symptoms and possibly seven days after the beginning of the illness.
    Q: Should our Team Members do anything special if they are returning from Mexico or any other area with confirmed cases of this flu?

A: We care about our Team Member’s health and safety and their work environment. As such, we strongly encourage Team Members to let their supervisors or managers know if they have recently returned (within 14 days) from Mexico or other regions with confirmed cases of this flu, or live in the company of family and friends who have been. Also, if you have traveled to one of these places and/or you begin to have flu-like symptoms, you should notify your supervisor or manager and report to the nurse at your facility or personal health care professional if you do not have a facility nurse. If your supervisor deems it appropriate to send you home, you will be paid. If you do not have flu-like symptoms, you should report to work, unless you are told otherwise.

Q: Should I wear a mask at work?
    A: In a news conference on April 27, 2009 Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), indicated that outside of healthcare settings, hand washing and the other means of prevention are more effective than wearing a mask. Whenever possible, rather than relying on the use of facemasks or respirators, close contact with people who might be ill and being in crowded settings should be avoided. However, a mask may be helpful if you are in a setting where there is known ongoing disease transmission.
    If the CDC later decides to recommend wearing masks as a preventative measure at work, we will provide them, as well as instructions for where and when they are to be used.
    Q: Have there been outbreaks of “swine” flu before?
    A: Yes. Health officials said in 1976that an outbreak of swine flu in people might lead to a pandemic. However, widespread vaccination was carried out in the U.S. before experts determined the virus was not dangerous enough to cause a pandemic. Swine flu occasionally infects people in the U.S. without causing large outbreaks. From 2005 through January 2009, there were 12 reported swine flu cases in the U.S. None of them caused deaths.

Q: I had a flu shot. Am I protected from North American/Swine Flu?
    A: The flu shot from last fall was not specifically formulated for the H1N1 strain, and so getting a flu shot last year would not provide adequate protection from the North American flu strain. Again, good hand washing and other precautions are important to prevent the spread of flu.

Q: Is there a vaccine against this particular flu?
    A: There is no effective vaccine currently available for the North American/Swine flu (A/H1N1). Making flu vaccine can take three to six months, depending on the type of manufacturing used.
    Q: Why are health officials concerned about the outbreak of this particular flu?
    A: They can grow quickly and make many people very sick and can be lethal, possibly causing a worldwide pandemic, according to the World Health Organization.
    Q: What is flu pandemic?
    A: Flu pandemics occur when new influenza viruses emerge that spread across a large region, continent or the world and few people have immunity to them. While influenza viruses were only discovered about a century ago, researchers believe flu pandemics hit about twice or three times each century.
    Q: Are there drugs that treat North American/Swine flu?
    A: Tamiflu and Relenza both have activity against North American flu. The U.S. has released its stockpile of Tamiflu to treat people with North American flu. Flu viruses sometimes develop resistance to antiviral drugs.
    Q: Is it safe for me to travel to Mexico?
    A: As of April 27, 2009, the Centers for Disease Control recommends avoidance of all non-essential travel to Mexico until further notice.

Last edited by bellzisu; 04-29-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,868
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 69

Thank You.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I agree that MSNBC article is not accurate

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 240

This wont keeping me from eating spare ribs, bbq pork or bacon cheeseburgers.

#BEATIOWA

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I do not know how accurate anything is for the fact I know nothing about this and I did not sleep at a hotel last night. I just want to pass on info that I have found. Take it for what it is and if you have more info please post it here

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 100

Re: "Swine" flu Q & A any answers or questions please post it here

Can you remove "swine" from the thread title?

Fanatic #25

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Q: is that map accurate?

A: no. I found out today that one of my friends was the first confirmed case in Illinois(? he was probably exaggerating on that part but at least in our county).

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I do not know how accurate anything is...If you can find more answers to questions that people on here have.....please post them with the question...If you have a more accurate map link please post them. Thank you all again for your input and answer finding help

Last edited by Dave19642006; 04-30-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 30

Above all, be sure to check or follow only the truly legitimate sites: CDC CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)
    Iowa Dept. of Public Health IDPH - Swine Flu (H1N1) - General Public Information
    USDA Release No. 0131.09
    ISU's main page News Service: Iowa State University

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Ms3r4ISU View Post
    Above all, be sure to check or follow only the truly legitimate sites: CDC CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)
    Iowa Dept. of Public Health IDPH - Swine Flu (H1N1) - General Public Information
    USDA Release No. 0131.09
    ISU's main page News Service: Iowa State University
    Pork Checkoff

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Legend
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 451
    Given: 656

Re: N1H1 flu Q & A any answers or questions please post it here

Question

I just went to the 73rd st. Wal-Mart over lunch (not for lunch). Should I go home and take a shower or is it too late? I cleaned my hands until they bled but I still feel dirty.

Question #2

Should the greeter at Wal-Mart really be the lady that looks like she's about 10 seconds away from a meth binge and has a tattoo the size of a small dog on her arm? I guess this doesn't have anything to do with Swine.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Question

I just went to the 73rd st. Wal-Mart over lunch (not for lunch). Should I go home and take a shower or is it too late? I cleaned my hands until they bled but I still feel dirty.

Question #2

Should the greeter at Wal-Mart really be the lady that looks like she's about 10 seconds away from a meth binge and has a tattoo the size of a small dog on her arm? I guess this doesn't have anything to do with Swine.
    2009 H1N1 is the last of your worries having gone in that Wal Mart. I think you should probably just bequeth your avatar to me, check to be sure your beneficiary listings are all up to date and start making arrangements.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 839
    Given: 3,502

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I agree that MSNBC article is not accurate
    It's funny that they ran such inaccurate information when the CDC site is pretty thorough and easy to access:

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)

It looks like Bellzisu's work gathered most of their info from there, too. I called my OB's office to ask them if it was okay for me to travel by plane tomorrow while pregnant - they're even telling the immunosuppressed to just follow the CDC guidelines. The media is trying to blow this up.

M 7/09

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Question

Swine flu or not, a shower is always a good idea after visiting any Wal-Mart.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"