Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What are we really getting with Perrault?

In another thread, a CF member posted a link to a site in Nebraska regarding Matt Perrault leaving Omaha. I posted on CF recently that one of my concerns was that I know his show was being clobbered in Omaha by Kevin Kugler's (an extremely talented guy who probably should be in a market much larger than Omaha) evening drive time show on a competing Omaha sports talk station. I had no idea however, that Perrault's show was 9th in the ratings for adults 25-34, which of course, is the prime sports talk audience. That's sobering and most likely means that even some easy listening station probably had better ratings.

Although it is easy to criticize (heck, even I do that sometimes), I tried to weed my way through the Omaha link to pick out some comments that might possibly be pertinent to his time in Des Moines.

Here are some of the excerpts. I'll let you all be the judge of what we are, or are not, getting in to.

"He tended to talk over disagreeing callers. Then the BS 590 forum was shut down (so no dissenting opinions could be put forth)."

"For one thing, for being a Boston, east-coast guy, he was incredibly thin-skinned and wimpified."

"Too much Boston Sports 590."

"His obessivesness with A-Rod of the Yankees was just bad radio."

"I really didnt like it when he'd start talking Pro baseball, everything came back to the red socks."

"I am a huge sports fan and a female. Matt made so many negative comments towards females, that I quit listening to him."

"But there's a difference between a former NFL player saying "ax" instead of "ask," and otherwise babbling incoherently, and someone who is supposed to be a professional broadcaster having no relationship with the English language."

"I was embarassed for him many many times."

"I will not miss his talking over everyone with differing opinions!"

"Way too much RedSox/Patriots/Celtics talk."

"He talked far too much about New England teams, and had no tolerance for disagreement."

"Squeaky didn't SOMETIMES act childish if a caller didn't agree with him, he ALWAYS acted childish, and it didn't take a certain tone from the caller to set him off (of course, Squeaky's tone was always that of "I'm right, and if you disagree you're a moron")."

"The reason the talk show host, newscasters, and play-by-play people from the Midwest do so well is because they usually have superior command of the proper Engish and grammer. Matt did not."

One poster, who admitted to being a fan of Perrault, asked a number of rhetorical questions, which all had obvious "yes" answers:

"Did he talk about Boston sports too much? Probably."

"Did he act childish and annoyingly at time when people would disagree with him in a hostile manner? Most definitely."

"Did he butcher the English language like only a true Chowder head could on an almost daily basis? Yes and very comically at times."

"Did I get really ****** off at his childish behavior at times and disagree with him more often then not? Yes, I did."

I offer all of this simply as food for thought. I'll certainly give him every chance to win me over, but if these comments are even close to what we are getting ourselves into, let's just hope 1700 The Champ offers a decent local alternative.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 23

Re: What are we really getting with Perrault?

so you found a dozen or so negative comments
    you could do that with miller, deace, and murph and andy whats your point

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 30

Let's just hope we aren't wishing for "welcome aboooooaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrdddddddd" to come back.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by heyguy85 View Post
    Let's just hope we aren't wishing for "welcome aboooooaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrdddddddd" to come back.
    i wish we were at least he had an opinion... might have been skewed but at least he stirred the pot

Thumbs Up

Two HUGE common threads in the many, many comments I pulled the excerpts from, CyCrazy:

1. Too much talk about East Coast professional sports.

2. An inability to accept discenting views.

If that's what you want from a sports talk show, knock yourself out.

As I said, I'll give Perrault a chance. But if all I hear about are the Red Sox, Patriots, and Bruins I'll be turning the dial so quick your head will spin. And if all I hear is a host who will not talk reasonably with those of differing view points, I certainly won't be around long.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    Two HUGE common threads in the many, many comments I pulled the excerpts from, CyCrazy:

1. Too much talk about East Coast professional sports.

2. An inability to accept discenting views.

If that's what you want from a sports talk show, knock yourself out.

As I said, I'll give Perrault a chance. But if all I hear about are the Red Sox, Patriots, and Bruins I'll be turning the dial so quick your head will spin. And if all I hear is a host who will not talk reasonably with those of differing view points, I certainly won't be around long.
    im pretty sure kxno will not suffer if you dont listen

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 17

Your talking about Nebraska fans that hated him cause he didn't completely drink the kool-aid.

I listened to him since he started and he was alot better to listen to then Marty and Miller. He gave alot of time to Big 12 sports along with the Missouri Valley.

He talks sports all the time. Sooo you people that Bash Jon Miller all the time will love him.

He's not perfect but he does have a good show.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 11

I have listened to Perrault -- granted on a limited basis -- but I always thought he did a great job.

And after tuning in today to Murph and Andy and hearing "ear worms" again for the second straight day, I think he will do a great job here.

I have been a little more than disappointed with Murph and Andy.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrocks View Post
    I have listened to Perrault -- granted on a limited basis -- but I always thought he did a great job.

And after tuning in today to Murph and Andy and hearing "ear worms" again for the second straight day, I think he will do a great job here.

yes uggghhhh.. i thought it might be a little better than it has been, even though i had limited hopes for those two

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrocks View Post

Totally agree with you there, Cyrocks. As I've said elsewhere, one thing we can be assured of with Perrault is that he will talk sports. I'm just a little concerned especially with all of the comments people in Omaha made about Perrault wanting to turn everything into a discussion about the East Coast professional sports teams. I don't need talk about professional sports, period, on a local sports talk station, let alone talk about teams that most of us in the midwest couldn't give a twit about.

At his worst, I'm sure he'll be better than Mork and Mindy, though. I gave them a chance when the show first started a couple of weeks ago, but I have given up all hope that anything good will ever come from their 2-4 p.m. show. To say it is bad radio would be a gross understatement.

Last edited by Wingback; 04-29-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    Totally agree with you there, Cyrocks. As I've said elsewhere, one think we can be assured of with Perrault is that he will talk sports. I'm just a little concerned especially with all of the comments people in Omaha made about Perrault wanting to turn everything into a discussion about the East Coast professional sports teams. I don't need talk about professional sports, period, on a local sports talk station, let alone talk about teams that most of us in the midwest couldn't give a twit about.

At his worst, I'm sure he'll be better than Mork and Mindy, though. I gave them a chance when the show first started a couple of weeks ago, but I have given up all hope that anything good will ever come from their 2-4 p.m. show. To say it is bad radio would be a gross understatement.

So exactly what are you looking for in a sports radio show....

You said in the thread to Miller... You like sports talk, no side talk about music or anything of that nature.

You said in this thread you don't need to listen about national sports since this is a local radio show, and don't care about the Boston sport stuff.. (which I do agree)

But this is Iowa...

What is there to talk about??? Lets create a list.

1. ISU sports
    2. Iowa sports
    3. Uni sports
    4. Drake Sports

This time of the year with only baseball going on at 2 of the 4 colleges, not much to cover. Unless you want to talk about football, football, football. Which Jon and Steve have done. Not much more to talk about there without repeating stuff.

5. Iowa Cubs (5 minutes of coverage will put me to sleep)
    6. Barnstormers (unless your 1 of the 12,000 that go... Not much interest, and only 10 minutes worth of talk)
    7. Chops (season over)
    8. Energy (more worthless then the regular NBA)
    9. High School Sports (Not exactly great radio considering not everyone that lives in DSM cares about local since they are transplants to the area.)
    10...... Ummmmmm I guess ISU wrestling coach opening

Seriously there isn't that much... What do you expect in this market?

Either you go off topic... Or you talk about something you know. Like Matt talking about Boston sports. Same thing Marty did.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

I think Perrault will do a good job as a local radio host. I lived in Nebraska when he first started and now that I live in Des Moines I would listen to his show on Friday drives back to Nebraska during football season. He does a good job of mixing local and national sports talk.

As far as local goes, I'm also including Big 12, Valley, and now that he's in Des Moines Big 10 (11) talk. When he was in Omaha he would get in pretty good interviews from Big 12 coaches and other media members, etc...

I know a lot of Husker fans have been critical of him, but I think that mainly stems from 590's coverage of Creighton basketball and Matt being critical of Bill Callahan. I could probably write a 5 billion page essay on how Bill Callahan ruined Nebraska and divided the fan base, but I will spare you all the boring details.

Welcome to Iowa, Matt.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 78

One thing about sports radio, callers can really drive the topics. Hopefully when things are slow you guys call in and talk about Iowa State instead of ******** about all the hawkeye callers.

I'll certainly be streaming from Omaha. Sports in the State of Iowa is so much better than here in Nebraska, he certainly won't have a lack of topics.

I still remember steaming KXNO the week of the ISU/Iowa game. For the longest time they (not sure who) were talking about everything but the game. I emailed them as to why this was (it was painfully boring radio). They said they were sick of all the talk and wanted the game to get there so they could stop talking about it. This was on a Wednesday!! Omaha radio could talk nebraska football 26 hours a day. Needless to say, you guys will love Perrault...he could put up with husker garbage and I know he'll do a good job in DM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What are we really getting with Perrault?
    Higher taxes, more spending, bigger government.

Oh sorry...I got confused about what we were talking about.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dustinal View Post
    Higher taxes, more spending, bigger government.

Oh sorry...I got confused about what we were talking about.
    Careful or this will be heading to the CAVE.. But you are correct with your assumptions.