Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 177

Cleyon Laing

Reports out of the spring game got me wondering if there will be any surprises on defense this fall. I'd be surprised if any of the fall arrivals will make a big impact. Anyone heard anything from the staff about Cleyon Laing? I know the previous staff thought there was a lot of raw talent there.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 242

Re: Cleyon Laing

Im thinking Maggitt will be the big surprise on D this year. He looked good at the spring game, so maybe he wont be a surprise to everyone. He is a little small(not by much) compared to other schools DE, but so was J. Berryman, and he carried his own against other teams.

#BEATIOWA

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid27 View Post
    Reports out of the spring game got me wondering if there will be any surprises on defense this fall. I'd be surprised if any of the fall arrivals will make a big impact. Anyone heard anything from the staff about Cleyon Laing? I know the previous staff thought there was a lot of raw talent there.

He did look good during the spring game....

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 154

IMO, if there's a surprise this year on defense, it would be an improvement in secondary play due to a healthy Kennard Banks. He was the most impressive defensive player in my mind at the spring game. However, if the line doesn't get a better push than last fall, it might not matter. We HAVE to get some pressure on the QB this fall in order to improve.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

what about the juco linebacker, I hope to see a big impact from him

A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it.-Henry Ford

I am looking for a lot of men who have an infinite capacity to not know what can't be done. - Henry Ford

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 807
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Piggypen6 View Post
    what about the juco linebacker, I hope to see a big impact from him
    arent there 2 showing up in august (if not before)?

Husker Hater

Rookie
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Im thinking Maggitt will be the big surprise on D this year. He looked good at the spring game, so maybe he wont be a surprise to everyone. He is a little small(not by much) compared to other schools DE, but so was J. Berryman, and he carried his own against other teams.
    While I liked hearing Maggitt's name during the spring game (and out of fall practice last year), I think one obstacle to a season comparable to what Berryman did is that we had much better linebackers when Jason played. Hence, he was able to be more aggressive off the edge and faced more legitimate passing downs. This fall I can see us really, really struggle to attempt to stop the run with our lack of experience at DT and lack of LB talent. When that happens, undersized DE's get taken advantage of.

At least our back four should be better this year in case a team has to pass sometimes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 154

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    While I liked hearing Maggitt's name during the spring game (and out of fall practice last year), I think one obstacle to a season comparable to what Berryman did is that we had much better linebackers when Jason played. Hence, he was able to be more aggressive off the edge and faced more legitimate passing downs. This fall I can see us really, really struggle to attempt to stop the run with our lack of experience at DT and lack of LB talent. When that happens, undersized DE's get taken advantage of.

At least our back four should be better this year in case a team has to pass sometimes.
    I think the bigger thing was having Curvey and Leaders in the middle. Those guys could each warrant a double team, and it created good matchups for Berryman and Moorehead on the ends. Damn, that was a good line...

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

So you are telling us we need to score fifty to win? Heck, we could not even do that in basketball.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I think the bigger thing was having Curvey and Leaders in the middle. Those guys could each warrant a double team, and it created good matchups for Berryman and Moorehead on the ends. Damn, that was a good line...

Leaders always pushed the center inward. He was fantastic. He was one strong dude.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,868
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 69

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Leaders always pushed the center inward. He was fantastic. He was one strong dude.
    Always wore his emotions on his shirt sleave. Great family story behind him coming to ISU too. One of my more favorite football players for many reasons.

Recruit
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    IMO, if there's a surprise this year on defense, it would be an improvement in secondary play due to a healthy Kennard Banks. He was the most impressive defensive player in my mind at the spring game. However, if the line doesn't get a better push than last fall, it might not matter. We HAVE to get some pressure on the QB this fall in order to improve.
    yea i hear ya.. it all starts up front on both sides of the ball. the good thing about walleys system is that hes all about getting to the quarterback as to chiziks system which was to stay in your gap and not let the running back/qb get by you for a lot of yards....(which didnt really work)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 623

I always thought to have a shot at a bowl game you need at least 1 NFL caliber guy on your Dline. We do not have that.

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,845
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 70

I don't know that stopping the run is going to be a huge problem against most teams. We have a nice six man rotation (Frere, Alburtis, Johnson, Rump, Black and McDonough) for those two inside spots. And Frere is pretty stout in there. Jesse Smith is a great run stuffer. I'm more worried about our DEs getting to the QB and finding a DT that can get into the backfield and disrupt things.

I do think that both Maggitt and Laing will be really good players for us eventually, but they will be a little green this year. We need Parker and Lyle (and maybe Martin) to really step it up this fall. Laing really passes the eye test, though.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 623

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I don't know that stopping the run is going to be a huge problem against most teams. We have a nice six man rotation (Frere, Alburtis, Johnson, Rump, Black and McDonough) for those two inside spots. And Frere is pretty stout in there. Jesse Smith is a great run stuffer. I'm more worried about our DEs getting to the QB and finding a DT that can get into the backfield and disrupt things.

I do think that both Maggitt and Laing will be really good players for us eventually, but they will be a little green this year. We need Parker and Lyle (and maybe Martin) to really step it up this fall. Laing really passes the eye test, though.

You could argue that that entire 6 man rotation is very average at best. Not a lot of startling playmakers there.