Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

So what do we need now in FB recruiting?

Following recruiting, it looks like we are hitting the biggest needs of the offensive line and defensive lines. What do we need with the remaining scholarships we have open? My thought is we would take another good DL as well as a bigger LB. Another corner? Another RB? Even though WR looks to have some talent and depth, do we still bring in another?

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Re: So what do we need now in FB recruiting?

A Point Guard.....Wait this is about football....okay...how about a receiver that can also play the point.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Hopefully we get Alex Cook. He would seem to be able to provide an immediate pass rush. Cook is definitely talented, but he will be strictly a rush end. Which by our luck, is where our other two top current DE's are suited for (Parker and Taylor). IF we get Cook I'm sure we could play all three, and maybe put one of them out of position and hope for the best since our natural strongside DE's are guys like Bryce Braaksma and Stephon Dale.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I always thought Kurtis was a touch slow to play rush end well. That was before the injury last year.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

2 defensive ends 4.5 40, 6ft4 260lbs, with attitude is that to much to ask for? :)

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Can anyone elaborate on our TB and FB?

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 93

How bout a shutdown corner? Or a Berryman clone(but slightly bigger as a frosh.)?

#BEATIOWA

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

jamica bass for our running back and i believe we had a walk-on #26 who i dont remember his name had a 5% body fat at 243 lbs.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

The FB's name is Taylor Mansfield from Decorah. I've seen him around and he looks like a beast.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Mansfield was a state champion wrestler for Decorah at 275, beating Le Mars's Seth Fischer. And Fischer was a beast. Mansfield was sort of a heavy 215 lb. heavyweight hybrid.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 759
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Its hard to say since I dont have the insight to the progression of our current players. But based on who we got last year, who stuck around, and the performance of what we saw this is what I would say.

QB- This position seems pretty well covered. With Bates more than likely coming in, this gives us some good depth for this year. But come next year, we will definately need another.

RB- I really like Bass coming in. Josh Johnson was very highly talked about last year, but saw limited action that really show his possible talent last year. We also have Scales who could emerge as a great back. Then there a few redshirts who could come into the picture. Think this position is set for the next couple years.

FB- Not really sure who is going to step up to match what Kock did here. This might be a good postion to pay attention to for recruting.

WR- This seems to be one of our most talented positions. Blyth obviously has proven himself, and Sumrall has done some great things too. I think another good speciman like Blythe would be a grood pick up now, so they are ready and primed later.

TE- This year we have the depth, but next year I believe becomes an issue. This would be a good one to look at, espcially since losing Will E. from the commitment list.

OL- Well we all know this is probably our most important focus point. And the staff have shown their interst. We have already picked up some numbers here, but because no one is proven, and couple more wouldnt hurt.

DL- There are more returning players on this line than the OL, but some didnt perform to the ability that the coaches hoped. DT needs addressed as we really didn't have anyone behind Curvey last year. DE might need some size and speed, but some players are there to fill the wholes.

LB-Well to find a player to replace McKenzie will be hard to do. There are some freshman who could fill the voids, but are again an unproven player to this point. Luckily Bowen is around to hopefully help this group gel together nicely. This guy gets my defensive captain vote.

CB- Singleton to me showed some good strides last year. Phyisical, quick, but young. Unfortunately, no one else really stepped up once DeAndre went down. I like what Chris Brown might be able to bring, but we will have to wait and see. This position is a good focus point.

SS/FS- James Smith and Jason Harris could do really well back here. I dont know if they will move Jon Banks back, but this postion seems set at this point. Depth might be nice, but isnt really a focus at this point.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post
    Hopefully we get Alex Cook. He would seem to be able to provide an immediate pass rush. Cook is definitely talented, but he will be strictly a rush end. Which by our luck, is where our other two top current DE's are suited for (Parker and Taylor). IF we get Cook I'm sure we could play all three, and maybe put one of them out of position and hope for the best since our natural strongside DE's are guys like Bryce Braaksma and Stephon Dale.
    I am really, really hoping when get this guy too, Alex Cook is the explosive off the end rusher we need, Rashawn Parker and Cook coming off the edges? they'd feed off each other and god knows i would not wanna be an opposing QB, I think the trenches is really where we need the most work...we could also used another big LB since Tyrone McKenzie won't be back. It would be nice to have someone to take some of the tackling duties off Alvin Bowen.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 974
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

i wouldt be suprised if we dont use a full back very much, if what was said b4 about using a spread offense, we might go with 2 Rb's like a JJ and JS and then split them out every once in a while

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree. Since we've picked up what looks to be a good class of lineman (of course more can't hurt), LB is where I'd spend a good chunk of time and effort if I was GC.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am pretty excited about Fabian Brown at LB though....I suppose we haven't been talking about him much since his commitment has been fairly solid throughout. Anybody watch him regularly at Roosevelt?