Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 141

Alumni Association survey

Anyone else sick of the Alumni Association contact? I have never seen how they are helping Alumni, they are all about raising money for a cause or the school, but they don't really care about the alumni, except to ask for more money. I thought that becoming a lifetime donator several years ago would stop this. But every year I will get a call from someone asking me about my information, just before hitting me up for money again.

Now I have gotten two e-mails and a post card from Jeff Johnson, mailed from Texas, saying I need to call a number immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, if they really wanted my information just give me a web site to check the information. I get tired of being lied to.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 0

Re: Alumni Association survey

And complaining about it here instead of to the ISUAA will help your situation how?

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    And complaining about it here instead of to the ISUAA will help your situation how?
    Because we all care about his plight.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Walk On
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    Anyone else sick of the Alumni Association contact? I have never seen how they are helping Alumni, they are all about raising money for a cause or the school, but they don't really care about the alumni, except to ask for more money. I thought that becoming a lifetime donator several years ago would stop this. But every year I will get a call from someone asking me about my information, just before hitting me up for money again.

Now I have gotten two e-mails and a post card from Jeff Johnson, mailed from Texas, saying I need to call a number immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, if they really wanted my information just give me a web site to check the information. I get tired of being lied to.
    Last time they called me I asked what the money went for, and the guy in the call center said he didn't know.

When his supervisor got on the phone, I was told that the money for dues doesn't really pay for anything but a calendar and those tag things they send out.

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,335
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post

Just sick of it. Calling the Alumni Association will not do any good anyway. This is just a discussion board isn't it?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 38

Count me as one that is not a fan of the Alumni Assoc or Jeff Johnson specifically.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 240

Dont they know people dont give money for that stupid crap they give(cheap tshirts, calenders, magnets)? Save the money and just take the money from people that want to give money to help the school.

#BEATIOWA

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Dont they know people dont give money for that stupid crap they give(cheap tshirts, calenders, magnets)? Save the money and just take the money from people that want to give money to help the school.

Kudos to you

Every time I learn something new, something old gets pushed out of my brain

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

they don't really care about the alumni, except to ask for more money.

How many years did it take before you figured this out???

Giving money to the school or to a department is one thing. You know it will do some good. Giving money to the alumni association doesn't do anything except make their association stronger, so that they can spend more to raise more money. Unfortunately a lot of people give the association money without realizing that they are not the University.

Last edited by MontyBurns; 04-27-2009 at 08:23 PM.
    Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 80

What's the big deal? I got the card too. It just says they're updating the Alumni Directory and want to verify information before the publication. Its just a postcard...

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,335
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    What's the big deal? I got the card too. It just says they're updating the Alumni Directory and want to verify information before the publication. Its just a postcard...
    Maybe this time they are actually looking for information, but every time I have ever been contacted by them they call to verify information as an excuss to hit me up for donations.

Starter
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Maybe this time they are actually looking for information, but every time I have ever been contacted by them they call to verify information as an excuss to hit me up for donations.
    In fairness to the original poster, I received the postcard and called to confirm my contact information and they did indeed try to get me to buy some type of alumni yearbook or cd-rom for a horrible price. I declined....a lifetime membership is all I will give them.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Actually, the OP has a point. The only way to effect change, and bring attention to the fact that the ISUAA only serves the ISUAA, is to go outside of the ISUAA and bring other peoples' attention to it.

In fact, this board is exactly the kind of place you need to complain about ISUAA on.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    In fact, this board is exactly the kind of place you need to complain about ISUAA on.
    I agree, but I think you should complain to the University. My problem with the Alumni Association is that they don't make it clear that they are an independent organization and that the money you give is not likely to be used to support a department, college, program, or anything else at ISU. In fact I think they purposely make this unclear, and I think a lot of their donors would stop supporting the Association and instead give their donations to ISU if they realized that the two are not the same.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Pro
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Actually, the OP has a point. The only way to effect change, and bring attention to the fact that the ISUAA only serves the ISUAA, is to go outside of the ISUAA and bring other peoples' attention to it.

To this well made point, I would like to add my disdain of the Go-Go's fan club. They are in no way related to the great band or Belinda Carlisle et al. Simply sucking money out of adoring fans for their own purposes. This fan has spoken.