Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

What needs to happen to make the NCAA's next year?

This is somewhat in response to the other thread, but what do people think needs to happen to make the tourney next year? It is great that Brackins is back but he had one of the best statistical years in the modern era of Cyclone basketball and we still finished 10th. Our RPI 167, so we'll realistically need to leapfrog about 125 teams to put ourselves in a position for an at-large. It comes down to a few things for me:

1. Diante has to improve enough to be a consistent offensive threat. Regardless of how people feel about him, even if he doesn't start he's our most experienced guard and he will be playing a lot and likely playing the majority of the minutes at the point. A floater or a respectable 12 footer would do wonders for his game.

2. Gilstrap has to be the real deal. I don't expect much more than 12 and 6 from him and if we know we're getting that I'd feel great about it.

3. At least one other guard has to step up. At this point we're working with a lot of unprovens - I like what I've heard about Christopherson and Colvin, Buckley showed some flashes, etc. But those guys will have to produce. This could be Lucca as well but I think we'll see him camping the perimeter again as I don't know if his game is as well rounded as we need it to be.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 78

Re: What needs to happen to make the NCAA's next year?

I think we will need productivity from Gilstrap for sure. Colvin would be great if he can contribute was well. If seems like nobody had flourished thus far under G Mac in their first year.

Recruit
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

My concern is the 5 position. We don't really have a true 5. Hamiltion may develop into that person, but he didn't show it to me last year.

Can Dendy play the 5? He is listed at 6'9". Vanderbeken really plays like a 3, even though he is 6'11".

I don't believe we can make it to the NCAA Tourney unless one of these two guys are ready to play the 5.

Last edited by GlenEllynClone; 04-27-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

I dont see it happening, but it is nice to actually feel optimistic going into the season for a change

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Scott Christophersen- find a way to contribute. I really think he can be of some help. maybe not so much of an offensive scoring threat, btu from what ive seen he sees the floor very well and plays smart.

Diante- Drive and score or drive and dish... you have the ability now go out and do it. also needs to become a leader fo some sorts in my eyes.

Dendy, Gilstrap, and Colvin- dont dissapoint! im sick of getting excited for recruits that turn out to not be what we thought (ie: Lucca) hopefully all of these guys can see the court and help out in some way.

Lucca- wow... i know i might be in the minority but he needs some serious work. it is hard to be a good big 12 threat when all u can really do is spot up shoot. the biggest problem with lucca is ball control. he looks like a nervous puppy when he gets the ball. so lucca needs to just get more comfortable handling the ball and i would like to see some improvemnt on the defensive end of the court.

Boozer- fight for minutes. with some of these guards coming it might look like too many cooks in the kitchen. Boozer has to step up his level of play all-around to ensure quality minutes. Right now his biggest Pro is that when ever he gets in and scores the crowed likes to scream booooooooozer. thats great but what the crowd really wants int he long run is wins.

Hamilton and Vanderbeeken- REBOUNDS REBOUNDS REBOUNDS. you guys are huge and do a decent job of this already but if we could get every shot back that craig or anyone else takes... that would be awesome. Also it would be great if these 2 became more offensive threats so Brackins can not be high;y pressured alllll game. basically get soe respect from the league so Craig can do his thang.

last one i'll do: Mr. Craig Brackins..... i dont give a F what u do.... just put that round thing in the hoop as many times as you can. i would like to see a better/ mroe consistent mid range jump shot outta you but that would be it. just keep doin what you do best... and that is play basketball.

overall i think this team can make a serious run for NCAA's. on the other hand i wont be suprised if we dont make it. alot of this teams success is riding on how good these new recruits are gonna be, and if they are going to be able to contribute on a regular basis. Also we better hope we make NCAA's for mr mcdermotts sake because even though i'm not on the "fire him" bandwagon.... im thinking alot of people might jump on if we dont get a winning record

pfhew.... wow longest post for me ever

Pro
    Thumbs Up

We need to have guards that can score. This is a guard-slasher oriented game now.

OSU made it to the NCAAs this year with basically 5 guards. If whoever plays the #1 and #2 can't make their team better AND score when needed, it will be tough to make it.

How many NCAA teams can you think of that didn't have a very good PG? I'm sure there were some, but I can't think of many...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think we should be able to sweep the instate games (Drake, UNI, Iowa) we should beat the soft non-conference schedule (ala Hawaii, SDSU) and we should pick up at least 2 more home wins next year.

Thats 7 additional wins next year...just need to pick up a couple more home games next year.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GlenEllynClone View Post
    My concern is the 5 position. We don't really have a true 5. Hamiltion may develop into that person, but he didn't show it to me last year.

Can Dendy play the 5? He is listed at 6'9". Vanderbeken really plays like a 3, even though he is 6'11".

I don't believe we can make it to the NCAA Tourney unless one of these two guys are ready to play the 5.
    Hardley anybody has a true 5 anymore....

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 4429 mcc View Post
    I think we should be able to sweep the instate games (Drake, UNI, Iowa) we should beat the soft non-conference schedule (ala Hawaii, SDSU) and we should pick up at least 2 more home wins next year.
    None of that matters. We have to finish in the top 4 or 5 in the conference period. If we have a similar non-conference schedule, it would hurt us a lot as it was a joke...

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

In order to make the NCAA tourney, ISU must win 22 games.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonepower View Post
    I dont see it happening, but it is nice to actually feel optimistic going into the season for a change
    My thoughts exactly right now.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

The only way we make the NCAA's is if one of our guards steps up to be a top 4 overall guard in the conference and Gilstrap is a legit scoring threat...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

man the CycloneYoda name really suits you with your wise wise insight

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

1. I agree on Diante. We need very solid and consistent PG play. Whether that's DG developing some sort of a jumpshot and the ability to finish at the rim or Buckley growing as a PG. I would be very surprised if Colvin can come in and leapfrog both DG and Buckley. Not saying it can't happen, but it probably won't.

2. We NEED a second, third, and fourth scoring option other than Brackins. He's good enough to carry us for part of a game, but we'll finish 10th again if we don't have anyone else show up. Hopefully Gilstrap can help although I'm leery of expecting too much from a first-year Cyclone. The aforementioned DG needs to be able to score consistently as well as Lucca, Christopherson, or JVB.

3. Justin Hamilton needs to continue to develop. We got more out of him last season than I expected. But when the other post player on the floor is Craig Brackins, it tends to make you look a lot better because of all the attention CB gets. If Ham continues to develop, we could have one heck of a frontcourt...not to mention deep with Dendy, JVB, and Pomlee.

Last edited by trevn; 04-27-2009 at 11:27 AM.
    www.drivethelane.com/bask - A great college basketball simulation. Give it a try, it's FREE, not to mention addicting.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 1

I really think we'll win right around 20. More than that, to me, will be overachieving, less will be underachieving. I do think that the likelihood of winning more than 20 is greater than the likelihood of winning less.

This is all based on not looking at the schedule, though!

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.