Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 96

Was anyone else surprised...

by the level of their emotional reaction to the good (no, great!) news from Craig Brackins yesterday?

I am not afraid or ashamed to admit that I honestly got a little choked up and even just a little tiny bit teary-eyed when I read the news on here yesterday. Now part of that is because I grew up on Iowa State basketball as a kid, and the last few seasons have been hard for me as a fan. Finally, we have hope. Finally, we have something to be excited about after so much disappointment the last few seasons, both on and off the court.

However, I also think a big part of my reaction is because we, as Iowa State fans, haven't had a whole lot to cheer about lately (excepting the Twister Sisters). We've seen players like Weasel Johnson and coaches like Cael Sanderson abandon us, but as disappointing and harmful to the respective programs as that is, there has been some real tragedy associated with the Iowa State Athletic Department lately. Specifically, how many football players under the age of 25 have we had pass away much too soon?

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer by bringing that last subject up, but I think our "misery" goes beyond just the frustration bought about by losing seasons and defections. For whatever reason, our department has been snakebitten quite a bit lately. With that being written, let's hope that yesterday's good news turns all of ISU's luck around, not just the basketball team.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 42

Re: Was anyone else surprised...

I think the key word from your post is hope. I haven't had expectations for this program since the middle of February of Morgan's last season. We finally have a chance to be successful again, which feels good. There's still a lot of "ifs" out there for this program but yesterday was one of the few good days in the last few years.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Good post. I have actually blamed this site for my frustration. I don't mean to offend anyone, but there is a lot of negative stuff and negative people on here and I can't help but take a little of that with me when I went to the football games and watched the basketball games. It has been so frustrating and not much fun anymore. I like to read these things to keep current because I am out of town, but I think the recent attitudes of the fans/posters is rubbing of on me and others.

I think it is important to realize that anyone can read this stuff, including recruits, players, and coaches. We as fans do have a responsibility to support our teams, not bash them every chance we get. We aren't good at much now, but that isn't all that new, good things have happened before and they can happen again. I remember it being fun to be a cyclone fan, even when we weren't winning football or basketball. By the way, thanks Craig for being a great cyclone.

Last edited by KCy; 04-25-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    KCy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Craig staying puts Greg under trumendous pressure. If we get to the postseason even he probably bought himself another year. If we have another season .500 or below I say he's gone.

Another thing, Craig is going to have to carry this team emotionally and talent wise. How well HE plays will be how well this team does this season. I personally got the text from my friend at school and about gagged of hapiness.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 838
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by KCy View Post
    Good post. I have actually blamed this site for my frustration. I don't mean to offend anyone, but there is a lot of negative stuff and negative people on here and I can't help but take a little of that with me when I went to the football games and watched the basketball games. It has been so frustrating and not much fun anymore. I like to read these things to keep current because I am out of town, but I think the recent attitudes of the fans/posters is rubbing of on me and others.

I think it is important to realize that anyone can read this stuff, including recruits, players, and coaches. We as fans do have a responsibility to support our teams, not bash them every chance we get. We aren't good at much now, but that isn't all that new, good things have happened before and they can happen again. I remember it being fun to be a cyclone fan, even when we weren't winning football or basketball. By the way, thanks Craig for being a great cyclone.
    I totally agree. I wanna punch people who is so negative about Craig returning. I am just happy that he is returning and having something to look forward to next season :)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by greatshu View Post
    I totally agree. I wanna punch people who is so negative about Craig returning. I am just happy that he is returning and having something to look forward to next season :)
    Yes yes. Craig is always great to go watch play :))

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244
    Given: 264

Quote Originally Posted by Chizit View Post
    Craig staying puts Greg under trumendous pressure. If we get to the postseason even he probably bought himself another year. If we have another season .500 or below I say he's gone.

Another thing, Craig is going to have to carry this team emotionally and talent wise. How well HE plays will be how well this team does this season. I personally got the text from my friend at school and about gagged of hapiness.
    The seat is not that hot, and won't ever get that hot, as we will be vastly improved next year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 255

As ISU fans we thrive on hope vs. realistic views on how good we are.

I really needed a shot in the arm of hope, because it was beginning to run pretty low. Biggest news to hit ISU in a long time.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 941
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

We've been socked in the gut enough the last few years.

It was nice to finally get a pat on the back!

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

Suffice to say I am gonna be making the trip to Ames for more basketball games than I did last year as well as all the football games. Hope is still out there in Cyclone Nation

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!