Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 42

Be proud for the person, not what he looks like

History was made in the NFL yesterday after the Bears defeated the Saints. And then it was made again when the Colts defeated the Patriots.

It wasn't Rex overcoming poor performance demons and coming up big for Chicago. It wasn't Manning and the Colts defeating the Patriots to get into the elusive Super Bowl. No, not that great catch-and-run by Bush completed with a classless pointing the finger at #54. And yet it wasn't the amazing comeback for Indy being down 21-3.

The buzz is the first, and second, African American (or black) head coaches to reach the Super Bowl.

Now before you label me as a man that trivializes the accomplishments of minorities - hear me out.

Sadly, while it's 2007 and not 1967, racism still exists. It's just sickening, yet it happens every single day.

I think we continue to feed this animal a little bit when we blare trumpets, set off fireworks and circle in red things like the first of a certain race to reach the Super Bowl.

Personally I'm quite happy for Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith for making their first Super Bowl appearances and not happy for them just because of their race.

Note: If this is not something you can debate with a respectful, level head - I suggest you move on.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Be proud for the person, not what he looks like

I liked Lovie's comment that he hoped that the day would come when something like this wouldn't be news.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

The media almost tries to hand it to those guys on a platter because they've overcome adversity and have made it to the big time even as a minority. Everyone overcomes adversity. Thats BS to make race an issue when it shouldn't have to be. I'd much rather respect Dungy and Smith equally as coaches tell them each, "Hey, good job".

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 859
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

ISUfan, I was thinking the same thing when the reporters kept bringing that up to the coaches during the inerviews. The interesting thing, though, is that the coaches didn't really have much to say about their status as the first and second minority coaches to reach the superbowl. I think the media wanted to make this a big story but the coaches never really played along.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cigaretteman View Post
    I liked Lovie's comment that he hoped that the day would come when something like this wouldn't be news.
    I forgot about that comment. A great way to put it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    ISUfan, I was thinking the same thing when the reporters kept bringing that up to the coaches during the inerviews. The interesting thing, though, is that the coaches didn't really have much to say about their status as the first and second minority coaches to reach the superbowl. I think the media wanted to make this a big story but the coaches never really played along.
    And that's just an even bigger credit to their coaching/leadership abilities as well as the people they've grown to become - not their appearance.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I didn't even think about it until it was mentioned by Jim Nantz

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 49

ISUFan
    I agree with you on the "recognize the man, not the color" poriton of your post. However; it is remarkable that this is 2007 and we still have rules in the NFL stating that a minority MUST be interviewed when a HC position opens. This indicates that there are still issues in the NFL, as well as our country, when we have rules that stipulate that a minority should be interviewed.

I think that while the press is going to make this a "color thing"and larger than it ought be, we need to be mindful of the large accomplishment for minorities and realize that Lovie, and Tony started in this business when color was far more an issue than we realize. This is an major deal for minorities and Americans. Sport is a small slice of our country but represents us well in the tone and direction of our country.

I think that making Tony and Lovie larger than the are is irresponsible by the press...however we shouldn't minimize the impact of what they have accomplished either.

j

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,700
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by cigaretteman View Post
    I really liked Dungy's response to the question of whether he was proud to be a black coach making it to the Super Bowl too. "Sure I'm proud that we've gotten as far as we have, but this celebration should be for the players and the organization and the fans of Indianapolis." I think that this will be one of the classier Super Bowls ever because of the 2 great coaches coaching in it, and that has nothing to do with being white or black!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The last 2 posts have made great points.

jmb - you are correct in that it's a great accomplishment. IMO, it's a shame the rules of interviewing minority coaches exists - I think it hurts the minority coaches more than it helps. Owners already have a good idea who they're going to hire before they start - and in some cases the minority interview is just a formality. I think that's using these people as a side-show. In today's NFL, coaches are getting (or not getting) jobs based on their abilities - not the color of their skin.

In respect to a classy Super Bowl - that it should be. And what a classy game that was played vs. New England and Indianapolis. Those two teams have hated each other for years now with the Patriots always getting the last laugh - when it counts. Nice to see Indy get over that hump. Lovie and Rex were beaten up by the media and fans most of the year (including ribbings from me). Nice to see them give out a "in your face" win over New Orleans - even though I badly wanted that story to continue.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

ESPN article

"You always talk about it,'' Dungy said of the chance to be the first African-American head coach in the Super Bowl. "When [Smith] took the job in Chicago, I said, 'I'm happy you are going to the NFC and maybe we can play against each other.' When we had dinner three weeks ago, he and I and Herm were still in it. We talked about maybe two of us will play against each other. You hope it happens. It's going to be great going against them. They are a great team.''

Hopefully, Edwards, the Chiefs' head coach, will make it to Miami. How can he miss it? This is history.
    The three African-American coaches, devoted Christians and family men, were striving for the Super Bowl.
    Classic journalism. Dungy is in no way referencing coaching in the Super Bowl because of his race, yet Clayton adds his comment to make it look this way. Racism does still exist in this country, more than we know. IMO, journalism to the likes of this and labeling this as a 'historic match-up' because of the races involved is just adding fuel to the fire.

Last edited by jtd9046; 01-22-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jtd9046 View Post
    IMO, journalism to the likes of this and labeling this as a 'historic match-up' because of the races involved is just adding fuel to the fire.
    Agreed. The more it's talked about like this the more it becomes an issue.

Focus on the game, the quality of coaches, the abilities of players and leave it at that.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 125

And wasn't Gene Chizik down there watching Tampa Bay practices back then?

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Walk On
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

The race problems in this country can't be solved by simply ignoring race altogether and pretending that racism doesn't exist (Stephen Colbert's "I don't see color" is a great example of this attitude - ignorance doesn't eliminate the problem).

I know for me, it's easy as a white, male, middle class American in the predominantly white state of Iowa to not even be confronted with race as an issue on a daily basis, whereas for people of other races, this is a daily issue that they must deal with.

Perhaps blatantly making accomplishments such as Smith's and Dungy's a fireworks display in the media isn't the best way of dealing with racism, but I agree with jmb that we need to recognize just how difficult it has been for such individuals to succeed in an organization that is owned and controlled predominantly by white males. Until we recognize race and the effects that historic white power and control have had on our organizations and culture, then we will continue to see people as Smith and Dungy as the exception to the norm - and more fireworks as well.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,151
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 24

Wow, what textbook on racial plights did you get that speech out of?

Walk On
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Spent a summer in Ghana. Being one of 4 white people in a town of 10,000 Africans change the way I see race.