Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Any Love For Gibbons?

If your a baseball fan of either the Cubs or the White Sox and you listen to Steve Stone on a dailey basis, you wonder how this guy is not a manager. Things happen he says is going to happen and usually the way he says its going to happen. When I listen to Gibbons do color I think of Stone, and I think of the passion he has for the sport. I'm not sure if he is even interested in the job, but if we look back at him when he was just a kid. His first year he beat what I consider the best squad ever assembled in Iowa in a dual meet. His second year he put five kids in the finals and had four champs, so we know he can coach. His last team could have been champs five out of six years, if not for Iowa who had one of the top five teams of all time. An injury to Dan Knight didn't help, but put in this lineup this year., Aiken, Knight, Moreno , Jackson, Wallman, Hamilton, Johnson, Troupe, Cutler,or Kinney. Even with Iowa's lineup that teams goes toe to toe. Then he steps aside for whatever reason , leaves a loaded team to his successor with the nationals at home, I think he thought it was an unselfish thing to do, leave a vetern team with a home arena advantage and even though they had the most all-americans that year with Seven no one finished higher than 4.
    A Jim Gibbons head coached team, with say a Kevin Jackson as an assistant would work for me, Gibbons was able to recruit Jackson as a wrestler maybe now he could do it as a coach. Plus some of his exwrestlers have sons coming up Moreno, and Knight to name a few. Just interested in what other people think.

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,223
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19

Re: Any Love For Gibbons?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales View Post
    If your a baseball fan of either the Cubs or the White Sox and you listen to Steve Stone on a dailey basis, you wonder how this guy is not a manager. Things happen he says is going to happen and usually the way he says its going to happen. When I listen to Gibbons do color I think of Stone, and I think of the passion he has for the sport. I'm not sure if he is even interested in the job, but if we look back at him when he was just a kid. His first year he beat what I consider the best squad ever assembled in Iowa in a dual meet. His second year he put five kids in the finals and had four champs, so we know he can coach. His last team could have been champs five out of six years, if not for Iowa who had one of the top five teams of all time. An injury to Dan Knight didn't help, but put in this lineup this year., Aiken, Knight, Moreno , Jackson, Wallman, Hamilton, Johnson, Troupe, Cutler,or Kinney. Even with Iowa's lineup that teams goes toe to toe. Then he steps aside for whatever reason , leaves a loaded team to his successor with the nationals at home, I think he thought it was an unselfish thing to do, leave a vetern team with a home arena advantage and even though they had the most all-americans that year with Seven no one finished higher than 4.
    A Jim Gibbons head coached team, with say a Kevin Jackson as an assistant would work for me, Gibbons was able to recruit Jackson as a wrestler maybe now he could do it as a coach. Plus some of his exwrestlers have sons coming up Moreno, and Knight to name a few. Just interested in what other people think.
    I think Gibbons has been out of the game too long. Not only would he struggle on the mat with the guys, but I don't think too many recruits would really be lining up to wrestle for him. I really hope that we can snag someone better.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Gibbons didn't bother to actively recruit after winning the title in '87. He thought that recruits would just be lined up begging to wrestle for ISU, despite Iowa having won the previous nine NCAA titles. Well, that plan obviously fizzled.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Gibbons was going through some burn out and the money back then wasn't nearly as good as what BD made in his later years and what Cael made. He had a great opportunity in the private sector and he took it.

He's never been far from the program. He was very close to Cael. He still cares deeply about the ISU program but there's little reason for him to take the job now. He's been there and LITERALLY done that. He has a great job right now and doesn't need the hours and the stress of being a D-1 wrestling coach.

Make no mistake, he's been leaned on by the powers that be for advice.

Still thinking of something....
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Wales View Post
    Are you saying Steve Stone should be a manager too?

41-53 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by SPOONER View Post
    Gibbons was going through some burn out and the money back then wasn't nearly as good as what BD made in his later years and what Cael made. He had a great opportunity in the private sector and he took it.

He's never been far from the program. He was very close to Cael. He still cares deeply about the ISU program but there's little reason for him to take the job now. He's been there and LITERALLY done that. He has a great job right now and doesn't need the hours and the stress of being a D-1 wrestling coach.

Make no mistake, he's been leaned on by the powers that be for advice.
    All I know is that no matter what he did for the team, he is still terrible to listen to on IPTV. If I didnt know better during the EUI/ISU dual earlier, I woulda thought he won a NC with IOWA.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

Weren't some bridges burnt when Gibbons left?

I appreciate the fact he's stayed close and offers advice and it's good the Athletic Department listens. He is the last coach to deliver a National Championship to ISU.