Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 320

Vikes' Draft

Now, I'm not supposing that we'll manage an AP or a Kevin Williams, but I know that a lot of draft gurus are predicting a wideout for the Vikes.

Me, I'd like to see them manage a top offensive lineman or two, because I think that would extend Peterson's career a year or two, not to mention opening bigger holes. And the sooner, the better.

A wideout would be nice, but those guys are around every year, and this is an especially deep tackle class.

Of course, I wouldn't say no to a corner or the right quarterback, either.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Re: Vikes' Draft

I'd like Britton from Arizona or Betty from UCONN if not I really don't want a wr inless they trade back a little

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Now, I'm not supposing that we'll manage an AP or a Kevin Williams, but I know that a lot of draft gurus are predicting a wideout for the Vikes.

Me, I'd like to see them manage a top offensive lineman or two, because I think that would extend Peterson's career a year or two, not to mention opening bigger holes. And the sooner, the better.

A wideout would be nice, but those guys are around every year, and this is an especially deep tackle class.

Of course, I wouldn't say no to a corner or the right quarterback, either.
    Detroit Lions are going to whiff again with Matthew Stafford. I just don't see him as being able to make it in the NFL.

As for the Vikings, I don't know if a quality WR will fall to them at No. 22. Percy Harvin might go that low, but I don't know if his skills will translate to the NFL. I'm skeptical about Maclin too. WR bubble screens don't always work that well in the NFL, and Maclin made a living on them at Missouri.

I wouldn't mind seeing them take a LB, like Rey Maualuga, or Everette Brown at this spot. If no one like that is available, I'd say go with CB Darius Butler. I think they can pick up a decent OL prospect in the later rounds.

Another thing to consider is both Williamses are facing a 4-game suspension to start the season and the Vikings might need a quality DT to hold the fort until they get back so they don't dig too deep a hole in the standings.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Stay away from Harvin please I mean if you are that dumb to fail a drug test at the combine when you know that your going to get tested then I don't want you. Another red flag for me with Harvin is the lack of pro production that any wr from florida has had. If they go WR in rd 1 Hakeem Nicks is the guy I wan otherwise please either go OT or DB inless you trade back to get more picks

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

We can get a WR later on. Let's get the best OT available with the first round.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 95

I would be fine with an OT, as long as there is one that's worth the pick. I think more than anything, they need to grab the best available player at that position unless it's a RB or D-lineman.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 320

The "best athlete available" is a great argument. If the right person falls, I'd be happy with just about any position.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The "best athlete available" is a great argument. If the right person falls, I'd be happy with just about any position.
    Yup. They don't need to be reaching for a "position" pick right now. OT could use an upgrade, but there's no need to grab a guy unless he's worth that spot in the draft. I'm intrigued by Percy Harvin. He might fall this far in the draft due to being a dip ****, but it's not like he's a Lawrence Phillips or anything.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 69

Can never have enough good offensive or defensive linemen. I would like to see a quality lineman drafted no matter what side of the ball he plays on. WR's can be picked up anytime.

Go Cyclones!!

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree. The Vikings had some of their best drafts when they drafted best available.

Randy Moss, couldn't pass him up even though it was not a need with Cris Carter, Matthew Hatchette, Chris Walsh et al. They really needed a CB in this draft, but Moss fell all the way down to the Vikings.

Duante Culpepper. They had Randall Cunningham, Jay Fiedler and Brad Johnson on the roster the year before they drafted him and still had Cunningham and Jeff George in his rookie year.

I thought they got the best player in the draft those two years. It seems like when they draft for need, they flop.

Derrick Alexander, the DE, not the WR, who was a miserable flop, and they passed on Warren Sapp to take this stiff.
    Dimitrius Underwood, the DE who had mental problems and never suited up once for the Vikings.
    Duane Clemons, another DE, (I'm starting to see a pattern here) who never lived up to his first-round billing. And that was the second year in a row the Vikings picked a DE in the first round after Alexander never panned out the year before. Clemons was slightly better than Alexander, but still never lived up to his potential despite glowing reports about him for about three or four off-seasons in a row. You just kept waiting for the light to turn on for him during the season, but it never did. He was probably the strongest man on the field, but could never get it going.
    WR Troy Williamson. Fast as all get out, but he couldn't catch the ball.

If you add Kenechi Udeze and Erasmus James, the Vikings have had a woeful record of drafting DEs in the first round. Udeze was talented, but then was diagnosed with cancer and I don't even know what his status is now. And James isn't on the roster any more either

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Bad news. I've been watching ESPN News on their pre-draft special and it looks like the Vikings have their heart set on Percy Harvin. Childress even went so far as to travel down to Florida a couple of days ago to see Harvin in person and talk to his coaches.

I think this is a bad pick.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    Bad news. I've been watching ESPN News on their pre-draft special and it looks like the Vikings have their heart set on Percy Harvin. Childress even went so far as to travel down to Florida a couple of days ago to see Harvin in person and talk to his coaches.

I think this is a bad pick.
    People said the EXACT SAME THING about Randy Moss. It's definitely a risk, but a college get smoking pot isn't the end of the world, imo. I'd take Harvin.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'll bet at least 25% of the NFL smokes pot. So for a team or a fan to get upset about it is kind of silly, or at least uninformed. Personally, I don't have a problem with it.

What I do think is a problem is that the kid KNOWS he has a drug test coming up and he still continues to smoke. I have a drug test on Monday for a new job and there is NO WAY I smoke this weekend. I just think it's a bad sign character-wise and decision-making wise.

This is going to be the kid downtown Minneapolis every weekend or on Lake Minnetonka in the summer making a fool of himself because he has no common sense and no respect for anything.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isunorth View Post
    I'll bet at least 25% of the NFL smokes pot. So for a team or a fan to get upset about it is kind of silly, or at least uninformed. Personally, I don't have a problem with it.

What I do think is a problem is that the kid KNOWS he has a drug test coming up and he still continues to smoke. I have a drug test on Monday for a new job and there is NO WAY I smoke this weekend. I just think it's a bad sign character-wise and decision-making wise.

This is going to be the kid downtown Minneapolis every weekend or on Lake Minnetonka in the summer making a fool of himself because he has no common sense and no respect for anything.
    Well put. nothing wrong with smoking some pot, but pretty stupid not to stop for at least ONLY one week to clean up before your tested

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not all that excited about any of the prospects they could get at that position. I would avoid Harvin; just how stupid do you have to be to test positive at the combine?

I wouldn't mind seeing them trade down to try to build some depth if they can get a 2 for 1 with another 2nd round pick. I think they can get an acceptable WR for a good value in the second round.

Seneca Wallace.