Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

New Guys

I realize this could just as well be lost in some other thread, but I want to point out: There are five new guys on this roster that have not played 1 minute of Big 12 Bball, and each of these guys plays a different position. And this combo, IMO, could beat any combination of players that you can name from the returning players.
    PG Colvin
    SG Christopherson
    SF Gilstrap
    PF Dendy
    C Pomlee

Go ahead an rip this apart, and when Nov. comes, we'll see what happens.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,253
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 158

Re: New Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    I realize this could just as well be lost in some other thread, but I want to point out: There are five new guys on this roster that have not played 1 minute of Big 12 Bball, and each of these guys plays a different position. And this combo, IMO, could beat any combination of players that you can name from the returning players.
    PG Colvin
    SG Christopherson
    SF Gilstrap
    PF Dendy
    C Pomlee

I'm just as excited as you, but:

Garrett
    Boozer
    Lucca
    Brackins
    Hamilton

would beat the above mentioned. They have D1 experience... that trumps just about anything.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,319
    Given: 640

That's a fantastic ten man rotation. When does basketball season start again?

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think the lineups presented in the previous posts would be a good match-up. Hard to say one way or the other and it's certainly a good debate. I do think the original poster has a good point and I share his optimism. I think we're making significant upgrades over last year.

Here's some of my thoughts and why I'm optimisitc...

1.) We have 4 returning starters and aren't losing anyone that isn't replacable (Brackins was the only question mark in that aspect, IMO). That's a huge luxury in itself.
    2.) Each returning player should naturally progress individually and they should progress as a team. This progression could be drastic due to the overall youth of the team last year. A lot of things change between a players first/second or second/third year.
    3.) Brackins return should put positive pressure on teammates and the coaching staff to improve. He just upped the ante. Everyone else better be ready to buy in.
    4.) The new players are better than who we're losing. You can't compare 5 on 5 like the original poster, but who wouldn't trade Petey/Haluska/Thomspson for Colvin/Gilstrap/Dendy? D1 experience or not, I don't know anyone who knows a lick about basketball that wouldn't make this trade. No disrepect to our parting seniors, but the upgrade in atheleticism and basketball skill is obvious.
    5.) Some of our "new" players are going to be better prepared than other incoming players in the past. Pomlee and Christopherson have already been with the team for a year. Colvin has played with/against a lot of D1-caliber players between the Chicago leagues and AAU ball, and Gilstrap/Dendy have played at high level JUCO schools and have also played with/against a lot of D1 talent.

I think those 5 factors above should account for an additional 5 or 6 wins which puts us in a nice position.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    That's a fantastic ten man rotation. When does basketball season start again?
    Just to be a realist, fantastic compared to what? Because the way I'm looking at it, it's only fantastic enough to finish 6th or 7th in the Big XII. Unfortunately our expectations have been down the last several years, but I'm optimistic we're on the way up.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by isunorth View Post
    I think the lineups presented in the previous posts would be a good match-up. Hard to say one way or the other and it's certainly a good debate. I do think the original poster has a good point and I share his optimism. I think we're making significant upgrades over last year.

Here's some of my thoughts and why I'm optimisitc...

1.) We have 4 returning starters and aren't losing anyone that isn't replacable (Brackins was the only question mark in that aspect, IMO). That's a huge luxury in itself.
    2.) Each returning player should naturally progress individually and they should progress as a team. This progression could be drastic due to the overall youth of the team last year. A lot of things change between a players first/second or second/third year.
    3.) Brackins return should put positive pressure on teammates and the coaching staff to improve. He just upped the ante. Everyone else better be ready to buy in.
    4.) The new players are better than who we're losing. You can't compare 5 on 5 like the original poster, but who wouldn't trade Petey/Haluska/Thomspson for Colvin/Gilstrap/Dendy? D1 experience or not, I don't know anyone who knows a lick about basketball that wouldn't make this trade. No disrepect to our parting seniors, but the upgrade in atheleticism and basketball skill is obvious.
    5.) Some of our "new" players are going to be better prepared than other incoming players in the past. Pomlee and Christopherson have already been with the team for a year. Colvin has played with/against a lot of D1-caliber players between the Chicago leagues and AAU ball, and Gilstrap/Dendy have played at high level JUCO schools and have also played with/against a lot of D1 talent.

I think those 5 factors above should account for an additional 5 or 6 wins which puts us in a nice position.

Well said on many levels....
    Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    PG Colvin
    SG Christopherson
    SF Gilstrap
    PF Dendy
    C Pomlee

You've got one guy in there that is a proven scorer in college and it was in JUCO at that. 1st stringers would wipe the floor with this team. Hell, Barnes wiped the floor with Gilstrap when he was visiting ISU and Barnes hadn't even started his junior season of high school at the time they were scrimmaging.

However, we only need the help of one guy or collective efforts from a couple new guys to get us over that hump to turning some close losses into some wins and I think some of the new guys can do that. My guess is a combo of Gilstrap and Christopherson. We should be a better team with a much better (4-5 wins improvement) record this next season.

Starter
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

It's just nice this scenario is debatable. Hope Greg turns the heat up with all the depth. Practices ought to be fun to watch. Out of all the big guys you'd think we'd get one Jared Homan type to compliment Brackins.

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Pomelee couldn't beat out Hamilton last year, why would he all of the sudden better than him now?

...Straight going donkey...

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 468
    Given: 641

Quote Originally Posted by tamjam View Post
    Pomelee couldn't beat out Hamilton last year, why would he all of the sudden better than him now?
    I don't think the poster said he would beat out Hamilton. Also don't see how LA redshirting necessarily means Hamilton is better. They bring different things to the table. We needed someone with size to play the 5, which Hamilton at 6-11 is better suited for; Pomele is more of a 4.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 3

obviously you dont know much about the situation. pomlee is a super athlete and is a 6'8" PF, while Hamilton is a 6'11" C who lacks that athleticism. so they are different players completely. Pomlee is a better defender and physical rebounder inside, but had a very weak offensive game out of HS. Hamilton is a good rebounder too, not as good as Pomlee, but he was way ahead offensively. seeing as neither one was going to be a starter, or a major key to our team it made sense to redshirt LA Pomlee who has a lot higher ceiling than Hamilton. With time, Pomlee can be a decent offensive player, but a dominant force defensively and on the boards. I see Hamilton as a guy who can do a lot of things pretty well in the future, but not being dominant at any one thing

ALL IN

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Everytime I see your screen name, I know something stupid is about to be said. You don't disappoint.

First, the post is about 5 guys who haven't played yet and 5 guys who have. No one is comparing these two individually.

Second, Pomlee redshirted. This isn't like the junior varsity ball you probably played where you "try-out" for the team. Just because he redshirted doesn't mean he's an inferior player to Hamilton.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 439
    Given: 75

worst post of the day award winner right here folks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 342

Until ISU loses all of its one dimensional players... they will struggle to do big things.

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

One Dimensional Players

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    Until ISU loses all of its one dimensional players... they will struggle to do big things.
    If I look at last year's team I would have to agree - I would consider Petersen, Haluska, Vanderbeken and Staiger all guys we counted on for big minutes who were "one dimensional". Add to that reliance on guys like Thompson and Boozer whose skills are limited- there was good reason we struggled.

I would agree one-dimensional players are a bad thing if a team is relying on them to be one of their first 3 scoring options. We had that with Staiger, Petersen and to a lesser extent Vanderbeken.

Lets look at 2009/2010:

First Option - Brackins
    2nd Option - Gilstrap
    3rd Option - Garrett/Colvin (whoever starts at PG)
    4th Option - Staiger
    5th Option - Dendy or Hamilton

Garrett's ability is questioned quite a bit on this board- but I just think he will continue to get better. I remember Tom Coverdale with Indiana a few years back. He wasn't quick, but used his size and strength to get into paint. IMO Garrett can be the same type of PG.

My bigger concern is if Garrett and Staiger can be our two starting guards. IMO one of our starting guards needs to shut down dribble penetration.