View Poll Results: i would be inclined to buy tickets to a standing encouraged section in:

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Both football and basketball.

80 71.43%
  • Football, but not basketball.

6 5.36%
  • Basketball, but not football.

13 11.61%
  • Neither football nor basketball.

13 11.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Standing Encouraged Section?

I know there are a lot of fans, myself included, who hate having to sit at games, and are discouraged from standing by those around them. I think this problem could be addressed by having a standing encouraged section, and I have seen others throw this idea around as well. If there were such a section at football and basketball games would you buy tickets to sit in it?

A good topic for discussion may also be where to put these sections and how to price them. I think the parque by the students would be a good place to start for basketball and next to the students would be good for football.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 49

Re: Standing Encouraged Section?

I brought this up in the Hilton Magic thread, and I agree that the parque by the students would be a great place to start. Something near the students for football as well. It gives those of us who want to stand and cheer a place where we don't get grief from others around us, and it could even serve as a buffer zone between students and the general public!

I paid my money to get in, I should be able to stand and cheer for the game if I wish, but I would rather not get in the way of those behind me, they paid their way as well.

I'm sure somebody in the athletic department could figure out pricing, location, etc. They have been doing great work lately. I just think such a thing would be great for improving our home field/court advantage as well as giving us more hardcore fans a place where we can be among our own.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Thumbs up Re: Standing Encouraged Section?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I know there are a lot of fans, myself included, who hate having to sit at games, and are discouraged from standing by those around them. I think this problem could be addressed by having a standing encouraged section, and I have seen others throw this idea around as well. If there were such a section at football and basketball games would you buy tickets to sit in it?

A good topic for discussion may also be where to put these sections and how to price them. I think the parque by the students would be a good place to start for basketball and next to the students would be good for football.

Since, I was at a funeral the day of the Kansas game, I was not able to attend. However, my wife went with my two sons, and one of them was standing up and cheering and the guy behind him told him to sit down. When my wife told me this I was so ******! If people don't want to stand and cheer when they are at these games why dont they just stay home and watch the game on television.! So my vote would be for both basketball and football to have standing sections !

CyFreddy

Last edited by cyfreddy; 01-21-2007 at 07:23 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 974
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

once agiain i love the idea, but where would we put somthing like that in hilton?

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

It would be nice if they could offer SRO on the inner concourse. It would increase capacity and allow people to stand and watch from a good vantage point without blocking anyone behind them.

It shouldn't cost much to make this happen and is a potential for more revenue. Plus, it would help discourage some people from leaving their seats before the game is over to watch the last few minutes from the inner concourse and it would make Hilton even louder with more people close to the court.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I don't want to be rude, but if anyone ever told me to sit during a game.....lets just say I won't do it.

Telling kids to sit down at a sporting event is disgusting. Hilton may be like a church to me, but it definitely isn't a church service.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    I don't want to be rude, but if anyone ever told me to sit during a game.....lets just say I won't do it.

Telling kids to sit down at a sporting event is disgusting. Hilton may be like a church to me, but it definitely isn't a church service.
    I concur.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Maybe someone should e-mail Pollard about this. I'm a student so an e-mail from me would mean nothing, but I think Pollard would be happy to consider the idea. I know 2 of my family members who would definitely be interested in this sort of thing (as long as the price isn't too high).

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

This is alway such a fun topic. Someone who stands gets told to sit down, by someone who never stands. This is wrong.

On the reverse, someone who stands, without any awareness of those around them needs to be aware as well.

Does not matter if it is Hilton or Trice, fans should be up supporting the team at key times, and more up than down.

However, when it is a time that most are sitting, and you have kids that cannot see at all, then it is a balance.

We want to to fill the stadium? Telling someone to stay home because they are sitting is just as wrong as someone who tells someone to sit down.

Not trying to fight with either side, but I have had kids (count this as multiple season tickets I have pondered not renewing), because when politely asked to be up and down, they basically said go to..

The real solution is more encouragement on being up for the team, not trying to define if you are a better or worse fan for standing, and having some awareness of those around you.

Of course the standing only section idea solves it as well, it is a good idea. It would be the details that cause the challenge. Just try moving donors who have options on their seat locations, with donation levels to clear a section. It would not be fun.
    Just my opinion.

Last edited by CyAg; 01-22-2007 at 08:16 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny8 View Post
    Maybe someone should e-mail Pollard about this. I'm a student so an e-mail from me would mean nothing, but I think Pollard would be happy to consider the idea. I know 2 of my family members who would definitely be interested in this sort of thing (as long as the price isn't too high).
    I actually did email Pollard shortly after there were a decent number of poll results. I recieved a response already, although it is very sort basically says "Thanks for emailing, I'll send your ideas to the marketing department." I did mention that I would post his response on this site if he didn't mind, so that might partially account for the brevity of the response. So Pollard knows of the idea, but I don't think we're going to get any in depth response from him soon.

Addict Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Would you sit down at a rock concert? I think the expectactions for games in Hilton should be different, if not, then I guess the Magic is truly gone. To sit down during a Kansas game is pretty sad (unless you are on an oxygen tank). I've heard for weeks about Hilton Magic and how it is back, and then I hear about people being asked to sit down. If Hilton Magic is truly back then there is so much energy in the building you can do anything but sit down.

Addict Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I'm in LA, so I don't know what it's like in Hilton right now. I do have a few questions to figure out if Hilton Magic is back or not.

Do you leave the game:

-Not being able to talk because of yelling too much?
    -Do your ears ring after the game?
    -Do you get chills during the starting line up?
    -Did you stay for the whole game, despite the outcome?
    -Do you cheer through the half time show and tv timeouts?

Like I said, I don't know what it's like, but from messages on this board it sounds like it is not the same.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

In 2005, I went to a football game at Notre Dame; they have a "Standing Alumni" section, which is right next to the student section. I think this would be a great idea; dont wanna stand, dont get tickets there.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 49

Hmm, so such a thing is done at Notre Dame? I didn't have any idea if something like this actually existed or now. Seeing as it actually does, maybe there is a better chance of seeing such a section at Iowa State in the future. The poll here would seem to indicate that there is interest.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

In theory this idea sounds good but I'm not sure how practical it is. For instance, if you wanted to put this section anywhere near the students in Hilton or Jack Trice you are talking about sections that people pay big $ to the NCC just to be able to have tickets there. I don't know of many people that would pay the $2500 donation level for those seats in Hilton that would be interested in standing the entire game nor many that would be able to afford that who would be interested in it. Something would have to give in order to make those seats more affordable.

It's easy for students to think this idea would fly because they aren't paying full general public price for season tickets as it is. Wish I could find the NCC donorship charts for Hilton so I could get my numbers correct but even to get sideline season tickets in the balcony you have to give at a certain level I know.

The bottom line is if you want a parquet section of Hilton designated as "standing only" they'd have to drop the required $2500 donation down because I just don't see many of the people that already hold those seats as being interested enough to fill a section up or enough people willing to pay the extra to sit there. I would love to be able to have tickets in a section like that but there is no way I could afford the $2500 donation that might go with it or even a quarter of that to go on top of what you already have to pay for the season ticket. I like the idea but financially I just don't think it would have any wings to fly.