Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Losing Weight

I went in for a physical today. It generally went well, but found out I now weigh 222 on a 6 foot 1 inch frame at the age of 42. Doc suggested I lose some weight and I think that's a good idea. I'd like to get back to 190 or 200.

My initial thougts are smaller food portions, cut out foods with white flour and potatoes, and try to excercise more. The exercising more part is a little tough for me right now with 3 little kids.

Any suggestions?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 412
    Given: 284

Re: Losing Weight

When I moved back to Iowa from Wisconsin (beer and cheese) I weighed 245 on a 6-2 frame. One thing that helped me was portion control. Removed fast food from my diet completely. I also ate more fresh produce, chicken, etc. No more fried frozen stuff. Im down to about 195 right now. Moderate exercise helped a ton as well. You dont even have to run, just go for a walk everyday. Running burned me out right away so I decided to give myself walking goals. Now over lunch I walk around the downtown when I can. I also play basketball twice a week.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,112
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 40

Eat what you normally eat but with smaller portions.

Aim for a lb/week. Weigh yourself everday at the same time. keep eating progressively less during the week until you lose your lb. Once you lose your lb for the week, eat normal portions.

Losing weight requires you to be hungry sometimes. You need your body to be somewhat calorie deprived so that if goes after some of your fat reserves.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 130

Keep track of what you eat. I lost 70 lbs using the free website sparkpeople.com and their food diary.
    I typed in what I ate. It told me what nutrients and calories I was and was not getting enough of.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I went in for a physical today. It generally went well, but found out I now weigh 222 on a 6 foot 1 inch frame at the age of 42. Doc suggested I lose some weight and I think that's a good idea. I'd like to get back to 190 or 200.

My initial thougts are smaller food portions, cut out foods with white flour and potatoes, and try to excercise more. The exercising more part is a little tough for me right now with 3 little kids.

Any suggestions?
    Right now, today, start walking briskly, 45 minutes to an hour each day. If you think you don't have the time, pretend you're on kidney dialysis or something where there is no choice.
    Your appetite will decrease, and you also will stop the self-sabotage of eating junk because you'll say to yourself "if I eat this, my walk was for nothing."
    I don't buy the "potatoes/white flour is evil" theory. Just walk briskly EVERY DAY for at least 45 minutes to an hour with no interruptions, and knock out unneccessary fats like cheese, fried stuff, and also limit sugar, and your weight will MELT OFF. Any every few pounds lost becomes more energizing to you.

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,212
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 0

I have a similar body frame to yours (6' 1" and about 220 lbs) and I have recently began to be more conscience about my health. A few weeks ago I began running (1-1.6 miles at a time) about 2-3 times per week. It feels good, I haven't exercised regularly since high school. My goal is to get my weight down to 200 lbs and keep it there, and I would be content with that. I am also trying to become more aware of how much I eat. I am eating less, but really not changing the types of food I eat. No need to eat 3 hot dogs, 2 will do just fine. No need to fill up your plate a 2nd time, when the 1st had enough food on it to begin with. I try not to snack as much on junk food also. So far with my method I have dropped about 8-10 lbs in just a few weeks.

Exercise may seem difficult but it's just what you make of it. Luckily you don't have to go out and just run if you don't want to. Find some other physical activity to do. I like to play tennis, so I go out and play every once in a while. Go for a walk. Ride a bike. You can make it fun!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

P90X

I'm kidding. Eat every 2-3 hours, and definately have breakfast. It gets your metabolism going. The longer you wait between feedings the more your body slows it's metabolism and stores fat. Drink a lot of water.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Right now, today, start walking briskly, 45 minutes to an hour each day. If you think you don't have the time, pretend you're on kidney dialysis or something where there is no choice.
    Your appetite will decrease, and you also will stop the self-sabotage of eating junk because you'll say to yourself "if I eat this, my walk was for nothing."
    I don't buy the "potatoes/white flour is evil" theory. Just walk briskly EVERY DAY for at least 45 minutes to an hour with no interruptions, and knock out unneccessary fats like cheese, fried stuff, and also limit sugar, and your weight will MELT OFF. Any every few pounds lost becomes more energizing to you.
    They arent evil but there are reasons they are frowned upon. Potato-wise, I love em. But have subsituted russets and the like for a more nutritious sweet potato. I have a great recipe for baked sweet potato fries that are packed with nutrients and not the extra starch. Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries | Sarah’s Cucina Bella :: Family Food
    I think bleached white flour gets a frown because the bleaching takes out nutrients. You can get an unbleached white flour that has what your body needs in it. That way you can avoid the thickness of wheat flour if you dont like that.

Cheese is a tough one for me. I love cheese, but you are right. Plus its a plumbing blocker.

My hope is to get down to a more ideal weight. Maybe 180 or so and then build it back up with muscle. I know I could do that at the same time, but lets be honest here, motivation and time is hard for me to come by. Losing weight and eating right are my first steps.

Last edited by bos; 04-23-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    They arent evil but there are reasons they are frowned upon. Potato-wise, I love em. But have subsituted russets and the like for a more nutritious sweet potato. I have a great recipe for baked sweet potato fries that are packed with nutrients and not the extra starch. Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries | Sarah’s Cucina Bella :: Family Food
    I think bleached white flour gets a frown because the bleaching takes out nutrients. You can get an unbleached white flour that has what your body needs in it. That way you can avoid the thickness of wheat flour if you dont like that.
    I understand, but I consider the potato to be an almost perfect food, with tons of nutrients and just a trace of fat.
    I see people cutting out all these carbs (like potatoes, rice) and then are eating lots of cheese and sweets and wonder why they're not losing weight.
    I'm just sayin' cut out the fats and sugars as much as possible. Most people eat tons of both. Hot dogs are full of fat, and are junk.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 930
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I understand, but I consider the potato to be an almost perfect food, with tons of nutrients and just a trace of fat.
    I see people cutting out all these carbs (like potatoes, rice) and then are eating lots of cheese and sweets and wonder why they're not losing weight.
    I'm just sayin' cut out the fats and sugars as much as possible. Most people eat tons of both. Hot dogs are full of fat, and are junk.
    I did the Atkins thing back about 2002. It worked well and I lost about 20 pounds. Went off it and gained some back. Started it again and my kidneys were killing me and decided it wasn't worth it.

Their is a happy medium to follow. Less Carbs in the form of white flour, potatoes, sugars is generally a good thing, but you should not eliminate them from your diet(which is a lot of what the Atkins diet is about).

Simply exercising more and eating smaller portions will probably get the job done for me. I have a fairly fast metabolism. I just want to get some good ideas and you all have shared some good ones!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Biggest meal should be breakfast. Cut out fast foods and only drink water and depending on your diet that is sometimes 5-10 pounds right there. I agree that portion control is the key along with what exactly you are eating.

It's Fun to have Fun.
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,491
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Note sure if you have access to weight lifting, but it definitely did the trick for me. I was not overweight but simply wanted to tone up - watch what I eat and lift 4 or 5 times per week for 30-45 minutes has done wonders.

Good Luck.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 930
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jcs33 View Post
    Note sure if you have access to weight lifting, but it definitely did the trick for me. I was not overweight but simply wanted to tone up - watch what I eat and lift 4 or 5 times per week for 30-45 minutes has done wonders.

Good Luck.
    That's a good idea. I used to do that and have a decent frame and muscle mass that would respond.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Very true. Fast food, hot dogs, etc make me sick now that I have pretty much cut them from my diet. Makes camping difficult sometimes but we have adjusted =) I am starting to become the mean dad at home because Im trying to cut the cookies and crap from the house and use Soynuts, Sunflower seeds, dried fruits, etc as a healthy snack for the kids. I see so many diabetics these days that even though it makes me seem mean now, its the best I can do for my kids.

It's Fun to have Fun.
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,491
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    That's a good idea. I used to do that and have a decent frame and muscle mass that would respond.
    That's a plus. Over time I have gained enough muscle where it has helped my metabolism when I'm not in the gym, which overall could be the best of it all.