Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Pollard interview

Not trying to beat this topic into the ground more since it has been discussed a lot but just had to bring this bit up.

Not sure how many of you have see the 13 Raw interview with Pollard on www.whotv.com yet. Nearly 10 minutes of Ch 13's interview with him on the season ticket policy. Really clears up a lot of misconceptions about it I think. After watching it I have no doubt that Pollard is the right man for our AD job. His best comments were about how when he took the job he was hearing from fans that we needed new BBall and FB coaches and Hilton needed renovated because we don't have a score on the scoreboard and now that he's done that the fans seem to think they don't need to help pay for all that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 124

Re: Pollard interview

You're right travman everything comes with a price, and at Iowa State success is NOT gonna come CHEAP!!

I'm with Jamie all the way. If you're tired of losing open up your wallet and get ready to PAY!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 489
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

the thing that sucks with ISU is that we don't have a lot of rich Alum Doctors and Lawyers, we split a very small states population with 3/4 other major schools and we have no tradition. When a team wins....people seem to want to pay more (supply and demand 101).
    The issue here is that we are being asked to pay more for products that are not doing very well right now, but will probably be pretty good in the future. I think if you look at what you are paying for a season ticket (kent st, Uni, Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, K-State) that money is well worth it. Now if we win 3 games this year and have the a worse home schedule next year (south Dakota State, Kent State, KU, Neb, A&M and Mizzou) That might be an issue with some people. But for me...I am going to keep paying what they ask.

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

Jamie is the man! If anyone wants to b**** about his new ticket policy they are either a Hawk fan or are a Cyclone "fan" satisfied with being a Big XII doormat forever.

Interesting what he mentions about dropping out of the Big XII as our other alternative. I think he is inflating that a little but still a scary thought!

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    the thing that sucks with ISU is that we don't have a lot of rich Alum Doctors and Lawyers, we split a very small states population with 3/4 other major schools and we have no tradition. When a team wins....people seem to want to pay more (supply and demand 101).
    The issue here is that we are being asked to pay more for products that are not doing very well right now, but will probably be pretty good in the future. I think if you look at what you are paying for a season ticket (kent st, Uni, Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, K-State) that money is well worth it. Now if we win 3 games this year and have the a worse home schedule next year (south Dakota State, Kent State, KU, Neb, A&M and Mizzou) That might be an issue with some people. But for me...I am going to keep paying what they ask.
    my friend, that is an urban myth, or should i say a hawkeye myth.

what makes you think that isu doesn't have any alumni that are rich as you say. and what makes you think a dr or a lawyer is rich? cause they have a mercedes parked in their drive or have a 750,000 house? is that what makes somebody rich? most of the people you see with things like that are in debt up to their eyeballs. there are many many successful alumni from isu. dont confuse deep pockets and short arms with lack of affluency. maybe you are just dealing with a discriminating buyer.

Last edited by dsouth; 01-21-2007 at 10:12 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Thumbs up Re: Pollard interview

Thanks for the link, heard both Radio interviews but did not see this.

Who was the chuckle head doing the interview? Jamie seemed to answer his question several times in a clear manner only to have the guy continue to basically ask the same question again or for a clarification.

Only to have Mr. Interviewer “not get it” and basically have the attitude that it was not fair to Iowa. What am I missing?

For me Jamie spelled it out pretty clearly and I completely understand the “why”. It makes sence to me. Thank goodness we finally have an AD who has the stones to try and make things happen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Who is doing this interview? He sucks!

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

There will be some highly vocal detractors, many of whom are hawks in disquise. Most intelligent fans will give this time to work out. The toughest pr job is next year if, as is likely, nirvana hasn't arrived overnight. e.g. In his first year, NU's new coach had a losing season and missed a bowl game - the first since the glaciers melted. Now, they're looking good.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

The guy doing the interview is the new sports guy at Ch 13. I think his name is Shawn.

Rookie
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 16

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but on the Friday night 10:00 news, KCCI's Andy Garman referred to the "ISU Ticket Scandal". He must be a Hawkeye fan!

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    The guy doing the interview is the new sports guy at Ch 13. I think his name is Shawn.
    Shawn Terrell, an U of I grad:
    Shawn Terrell joined Channel 13's award-winning Sports department as a reporter and photographer in August 2006.. He'll work with central Iowa's favorite sports team: Keith Murphy and Andy Fales.
    "Shawn's talent and credentials are very good," says WHO-TV Sports Director Keith Murphy. "But it was his ability to put up with Andy and I that really sold us on Shawn. Frankly, many candidates just weren't willing to do it. What a sucker. He'll live to regret that decision, I promise you."
    Terrell came to Des Moines from KCRG-TV in Cedar Rapids where he had been a sports reporter/photographer since 2004. Before coming to Cedar Rapids, Terrell spent one year as a sports reporter and two years as the sports director at KSNF-TV in Joplin, MO.
    Shawn grew up in the small northwest Iowa town of Peterson and is the oldest of three children. He graduated from the University of Iowa in 2000 with degrees in Communication Studies and English.
    As his career path indicates, Terrell is a sports nut. College football tops the list, although he's a huge fan of the Chicago Cubs. Other interests include music, especially anything written, recorded, or covered by Pearl Jam.
    Away from the office, Shawn exercises on a bi-weekly basis. Unless you count golf, in which case, he exercises at least three times a week.

http://www.whotv.com/Global/story.as...v=menu100_10_2

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthCy View Post
    Shawn Terrell, an U of I grad
    Yep, that explains the "unbiased" interview

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 67

It was WHO that made the Hawkeyes who they are today. It certainly wasn't their success on the field. Why would that change now?

And for those who want to know where the real money resides in the state of Iowa-- it is not in doctors or lawyers offices. It's in rural Iowa with the guys who own thousands of acres at $4000-5000 a clip. And I don't think too many of them went to the U of I.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dsouth View Post
    my friend, that is a urban myth, or should i say a hawkeye myth.

what makes you think that isu doesn't have any alumni that are rich as you say. and what makes you think a dr or a lawyer is rich? cause they have a mercedes parked in their drive or have a 750,000 house? is that what makes somebody rich? most of the people you see with things like that are in debt up to their eyeballs. there are many many successful alumni from isu. dont confuse deep pockets and short arms with lack of affluency. maybe you are just dealing with a discriminating buyer.

Maybe you are right, but I work with hundreds of Doctors, plus nurses, techs that mostly came to from the U of I. I work with at least 10 lawyers also. Sure most of them drive nice cars and live in 500+K homes and they might be in debt up to their Eyeballs. BUT they are still buying season tickets and donating more than somebody that is making 50K per year. They can donate more because they have more, even if that means they too are in debt. ISU needs a generous Bill Gates or Pickens or something...
    Otherwise, for the most part I know what your saying.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    It was WHO that made the Hawkeyes who they are today. It certainly wasn't their success on the field. Why would that change now?

And for those who want to know where the real money resides in the state of Iowa-- it is not in doctors or lawyers offices. It's in rural Iowa with the guys who own thousands of acres at $4000-5000 a clip. And I don't think too many of them went to the U of I.
    Your probably right about not attending the U of I, but most of them probably didn't even attend a school at all. They spent the last 20 years watching the only team on TV/Media with "ANF" plastered on their helmets and very successful teams.
    My dad happens to be one of these exact guys we are talking about. No college attended, Thousands of Acres owned, LOVES the Hawks. Drives me crazy...(Also..He doesn't attend games or donate to UofI)