Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 197

Hilton Magic - have faith

After reading the thoughts about the possible disappearance of Hilton Magic, a few things came to mind.

The circumstances that brought Hilton Magic into existence were almost themselves magical. A big-name Big-10 Final 4 coach comes to lowly ISU, who hadn't been good at MBB for a long time. Johnny Orr instantly became the biggest celebrity in the state of Iowa. Not only that, he was the biggest show in the state of Iowa, and the only place to regularly see that show was at Hilton.

Not only was JO a big name coach, he was a showman. He'd come out to the "Here's Johnny" theme, running up and down the sidelines pumping his fists, working up the crowd. Folks looked forward to that intro almost as much as the game itself. Then during the game, if an official made a questionable call, JO would get out on the floor, stomp his foot and shake his fist, and the crowd would get behind him. People would start yelling "Give 'em hell, Johnny". Then, the team would respond, the crowd would respond some more, and the whole thing would feed itself into a frenzy. After a few upsets, the fans realized that Hilton had become an incredible BB venue, and the Hilton Magic monster was born.

There were bad seasons during the JO years, but because of JO's celebrity and showmanship, the crowds still showed up and JO could work them up. I remember that during the late 80's/early 90's there were some pretty lean seasons, and folks thought that Hilton Magic was dying. But ISU always managed to pull off a big win or two to keep people coming back.

Things are different now. GMac isn't the only show in Iowa (at least not yet), or a showman like JO was. He puts his energy into coaching, much like TF did. So, it's natural that the magic right now might not be like it was years ago. So what's the solution? Have JO come back and run up and down the sideline before the game? No, but I think the answer will be found in playing good basketball and good promotion, and ISU has the coach and AD in place to makes those things happen. Good BB will bring fans in, and being a ranked team, challenging for the conference title, getting on TV, getting mentioned in the national media, and advancing to the later rounds of the NCAA tourney will generate their own excitement. Many of those things weren't present in the JO days. Good BB will bring notariety to the program. ADJP is working to improve the venue, which will also attract fans and bring excitement to the game.

So, have faith. I'm confident that Hilton Magic will be back, maybe not in the same form that it took in JO's day, but it will be there in it's own unique way.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 01-21-2007 at 02:04 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Re: Hilton Magic - have faith

It only takes one person for Hilton Magic to be there... and that is me. For me... I'm responsibile for Hilton Magic. I could be the only person in the stand... and I don't care if there isn't a single other fan in the place... I'm going to bring Hilton Magic alive... if it's not there... it's my fault... if my voice isn't loud enough... I give you all permission to blame me.... but while you're blaming me... I'm going to keep cheering because it's my responsibility to bring the magic each game.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I'll be next to you.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Hey do we still give 5 claps in unison for the opposing players when they are announced? I always liked that...classy and imposing at the same time!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

yeah...but now we scream "you suck" after clapping...not exactly classy.

Rookie
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Hilton magic is still very much alive... Ask any team how they feel about coming into Hilton for a game, it's not a fun place to play if your the visitor.

Wayne Morgan lost games at hilton, as did Eustachy, & Floyd. There is no way you can win every game at home.

If you think Hilton Magic is dead, you should have watched the KU game. The wrong team won, but Hilton Magic was a big part in why we played as well as we did. Just keep the faith, keep cheering. The future is bright.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dbronco7sc View Post
    It only takes one person for Hilton Magic to be there... and that is me. For me... I'm responsibile for Hilton Magic. I could be the only person in the stand... and I don't care if there isn't a single other fan in the place... I'm going to bring Hilton Magic alive... if it's not there... it's my fault... if my voice isn't loud enough... I give you all permission to blame me.... but while you're blaming me... I'm going to keep cheering because it's my responsibility to bring the magic each game.
    I love this sentiment. And I agree. I still feel like a wide-eyed little girl every time I walk in that place. I'll cheer with you!

**Not every life is perfect, but every life is precious. Support Rescue.**
    http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/nebraskabostonterrierrescue.html

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCY11 View Post
    Once something that is "catchy" like that gets going in a section of newfound adults, it is hard to change. It's supposed to be...

*clap, clap, clap, clap, clap* "GO STATE!!"

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 103

Just a suggestion that I would like to throw out there: I was at the K-State game, and I had to sit in the balcony behind the hoop. As a member of Cyclone Alley, I am generally used to being much closer to the action, but I was attending the game with non-members so we sat above so we could be together.

The problem was, the place was a library up there! I almost felt bad when I stood up because I would be the only one. I often found myself shouting alone. I would like to propose an adult cheering section in the arena. I have seen venues with a family section for people with children, I think this would be the solution for fans with the passion of a student but without access to a student section.

It would be a section where other fans could yell and scream and stand the entire game without getting into with the people around them. This would appeal to me a great deal as someone who is about to graduate and dreads the idea of sitting on my hands surrounded by blue-hairs for the rest of forever. Anybody else on board for something like this? It seems like many people on here have have issues in the past with fans around them not appreciating their exuberance.

Just an idea as a way to make Hilton even better. The Alley does a nice job, but it seems like the rest of the arena is pretty passive, and I know there are a lot of very passionate ISU fans out there.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,289
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

i like the idea but only prob is where to put them

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    Given: 250

Quote Originally Posted by dbronco7sc View Post
    CAN WE GET THIS ON A T-SHIRT?????

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I was just in Kansas for the women's game and after the game we decided to stay in town instead of fight the weather. We went to some bars, both of which the KU team is said to visit quite regularly. We were all wearing cyclone alley t-shirts so most of the people there had to taunt us and insult us and such. But after that died down a little we talked to some of them that weren't completely drunk. They all showed respect for Hilton and said that it is really loud and a hard place to play at. One even said "I'm afraid everytime we have to play at Hilton."

HILTON MAGIC is very much still here!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore_23 View Post
    i like the idea but only prob is where to put them
    I love the idea of a standing encouraged section. I would recommend starting with the parque sections. They are relatively small and close to the student sections.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCY11 View Post
    No kidding. I would suggest dropping the "you suck".

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by zimman18 View Post
    Hilton magic is still very much alive... Ask any team how they feel about coming into Hilton for a game, it's not a fun place to play if your the visitor.

Wayne Morgan lost games at hilton, as did Eustachy, & Floyd. There is no way you can win every game at home.

If you think Hilton Magic is dead, you should have watched the KU game. The wrong team won, but Hilton Magic was a big part in why we played as well as we did. Just keep the faith, keep cheering. The future is bright.
    We won every home game in 85-86 (14,024 average attendance), 92-93(13,597 average attendance), 99-00(10,543 average attendance), 00-01(12,360 average attendance). The big question is why was attendance significantly lower 99-01 when we arguably had the most talented teams in our basketball history?