Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 90

Really like Wally

there is an article on goCyclones about the defense and the lack of speed it has. At least Wally understands that there are some real limitation to what the defense can do and he is trying to eliminate fundimental things from last year, like tackling and being in the right place at the right time. I think that Bolt knew what he was doing, he just didn't have the guys to do it. Wally at least seems to understand that you have to build the defense with the guys you have rather than building it on the guys you wish you had.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 2

Re: Really like Wally

I've got to say that I'm actually getting a little sick of all the 'we don't have the horses' talk that is becoming so prevalent around ISU's message boards. Do I think ISU has USC talent? Of course not. Do I think ISU has enough talent to be competitive in just about every game this year regardless of our opponent? I do. Undoubtedly the best coaches in the country are able to shave a little here and there off of their schemes to hide their greatest weaknesses, but to constantly hear how we're lucky that we have Wally or Rhoads or Herman to take our no-talent football players and somehow miraculously beat some team of giants like Nebraska or Kansas is grinding me a little.

Ok, now I feel a little better and can't wait until August.

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    I've got to say that I'm actually getting a little sick of all the 'we don't have the horses' talk that is becoming so prevalent around ISU's message boards. Do I think ISU has USC talent? Of course not. Do I think ISU has enough talent to be competitive in just about every game this year regardless of our opponent? I do. Undoubtedly the best coaches in the country are able to shave a little here and there off of their schemes to hide their greatest weaknesses, but to constantly hear how we're lucky that we have Wally or Rhoads or Herman to take our no-talent football players and somehow miraculously beat some team of giants like Nebraska or Kansas is grinding me a little.

We almost beat Kansas last year and the year before that we almost beat Oklahoma. I wouldnt be surprised if we pull one or two off in the next couple years.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think that the coaches think that there is no talent, there is just not a lot of guys that can make a mistake and recover. CPR called these guys 'erasers', and the Clones do not have any, so they just have to not make mistakes. Last year I saw a lot of mistakes and no one to erase them. Hopefully we will see a lot less mistakes in 09.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

The thing the old staff did is blaimed a lot of things on the lack of talent. Good coaches can hide lack of talent somewhat. If you say we just dont have enough talent enough then the players think that and the end results are not good.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

Just don't be thinking Wally is going to turn our defense into a top 40 in a years time. Clearly we need to upgrade our talent level and being in the right postion all the time is only going to go so far.

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 614
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

I think that Wally will be able to put together some pretty good defenses here at Iowa State.

"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." - Charles Barkley

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

I too am glad that our new coaches seem to be able to see the shortcomings of the team and feel that they can improve the level of play by simply teaching some of the basics that the old coaching staff apparently didn't know enough to teach.

Good coaches form raw talent into competitive players.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Just don't be thinking Wally is going to turn our defense into a top 40 in a years time. Clearly we need to upgrade our talent level and being in the right postion all the time is only going to go so far.
    It all start with being in the right place. ISU could have eliminated 10 to 14 points a game last year by not making mental mistakes, and that would have been enough to win several more games.

Last edited by CyCloned; 04-22-2009 at 09:15 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Are you kidding me? I expect immediate results. None of this waiting three or five years.

However, I do think the improvement in our defense will be noticable next season.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    The thing the old staff did is blaimed a lot of things on the lack of talent. Good coaches can hide lack of talent somewhat. If you say we just dont have enough talent enough then the players think that and the end results are not good.
    I think ol' Barney Cotton did the same thing.

Again, members of this coaching staff are saying things like, "We have to improve" not "We just don't have the players yet."

That has to make a big difference mentally to the players.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 51

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I don't think that the coaches think that there is no talent, there is just not a lot of guys that can make a mistake and recover. CPR called these guys 'erasers', and the Clones do not have any, so they just have to not make mistakes. Last year I saw a lot of mistakes and no one to erase them. Hopefully we will see a lot less mistakes in 09.
    LJ

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I empathize with those that say it grates them to continually hear this. I've been there and it irks you. It may be true but it certainly reeks of someone setting up an excuse.

I also agree with the sentiment that suggests lack of speed or not, people were out of place and tackled poorly as well.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

I'd disagree. I think we are borderline, at best, to having enough athletic ability and DEPTH to compete every weekend in the Big 12. Sure, we almost came close to beating KU and OU but what happened the rest of the year? No depth.

When you're not a deep team, you are relying on your few good players to play great every week and hoping your others are sufficient. Fact is, your studs are not going to play like studs week in and week out, so others need to step up. The problem is, the gap between our studs and the rest of the team is large.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 629

Quote Originally Posted by TedKumsher View Post
    LJ
    LJ's a corner, not a safety. LJ's good, but when it comes to the passing game he's first-line defense. If he makes a mistake someone has to erase it for him.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.