Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

Article from Rag on Gable and other

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,340
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 210

Re: Article from Rag on Gable and other

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    then there should be no other candidates unless he won't do it.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 638

I think serious consideration should be given to Terry Brands, and I am usually very anti-Hawkeye. I think he may be just what our team needs. I would be much happier with him getting the job ahead of Bono, and don't get me wrong, I think Bono is a great person and wish him well, but I don't think he is the right guy for the job right now.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

Great article and great update.

While Gable would be my top pick... Terry may be the better long term choice. It clearly states in this article that Terry is not out of the picture. I would have to imagine he's the "target" and having Gable on our side is huge. I would imagine both Tom and Terry really take to heart Gable's advice.

What also surprises me is how Gable is leaving the door open for him. He clearly has thought a lot about how he would need to change his life temporally if he were to take the job. Someone who is clearly not interested doesn't do that.

I wonder if Gable has advised ISU with a short list with Terry being number one. If ISU honestly goes through the list and makes all reasonable attempts to hire them without success... then he feels to ensure ISU and wrestling in the state of Iowa is in good hands he's preparing himself to accept. I bet by ISU asking Gable for advice Gable feels respected by ISU and really has now taken some ownership in helping out.

I wonder if he's somewhat told Pollard that "unless you get one of the best which are here on this list... then please talk to me again before hiring anyone else"... with it being implied that he's ready to step in.

Last edited by Balls; 04-21-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It absolutely blows my mind that anyone would read that article and think there's little more than a snowball's chance in hell of Dan Gable taking this job.

Get a grip.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SPOONER View Post
    It absolutely blows my mind that anyone would read that article and think there's little more than a snowball's chance in hell of Dan Gable taking this job.

Get a grip.
    I've mentioned a couple things about Gable and both times I think you have been the first to highlight my optimism with a negative response.

No offense... but noticing your number of posts... is that you Bono?

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post
    I've mentioned a couple things about Gable and both times I think you have been the first to highlight my optimism with a negative response.

LOL...no. I'm not picking on you. Dan comes out in that article and clearly states he's not the right fit for the job and would have to mortgage his principles to take it. Not going to happen.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SPOONER View Post
    LOL...no. I'm not picking on you. Dan comes out in that article and clearly states he's not the right fit for the job and would have to mortgage his principles to take it. Not going to happen.
    Yes, I agree that it's very unlikely and I don't really believe it will ultimately happen. But I also think Gable has random thoughts about it based on his answers. Although he clearly says there are others better fitted to take the job, he resists clearly saying "no". (well at least not reported)

I agree that he doesn't really want to do it but like any competitor he relishes the chance to envision "his return to greatness". In this crazy situation, although the chance is slim at best (I agree), it's still possible until someone else is offered and they accept.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,889
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 69

Yes, I agree that it's very unlikely and I don't really believe it will ultimately happen. But I also think Gable has random thoughts about it based on his answers. Although he clearly says there are others better fitted to take the job, he resists clearly saying "no". (well at least not reported)

I agree that he doesn't really want to do it but like any competitor he relishes the chance to envision "his return to greatness". In this crazy situation, although the chance is slim at best (I agree), it's still possible until someone else is offered and they accept.
    I think that is the defnition of a pipe dream...

Even though Dan is recommending him, I think Terry is a long shot too..

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Spooners favorite team is the Hawkeyes and is a secondary Cyclone fan. His posts reflect the reverse of my attitude in general. I am a big ISU fan but Iowa is my second favorte athletics team. If I am wrong, he is a terrible ISU fan.

Kinnick smells like syrup.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,057
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 18

I certainly have nothing against Terry Brands being ISU's next wrestling coach.

However, would ISU be settling for "Brands Lite" instead of the real thing? I mean, why didn't Iowa hire Terry instead of Tom if Terry would make a good head coach.

Again, I have nothing against Terry Brands. Just tossing out the question

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUboi12 View Post
    Spooners favorite team is the Hawkeyes and is a secondary Cyclone fan. His posts reflect the reverse of my attitude in general. I am a big ISU fan but Iowa is my second favorte athletics team. If I am wrong, he is a terrible ISU fan.
    I don't know where you get that impression or where you get any of that from. It is baffling to me.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

Why would Terry Brands not take the ISU job if offered? That would be like a North Carolina assistant coach not taking the Duke job in men's basketball, if Coach K left.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

First off I am a huge wrestling fan. While you can see that I never post I do follow the boards very diligently and consider myself well informed. I do feel compelled to comment though on the recent love afare with Terry Brands. I have followed this board closely for a number of years and one message has been very consistent from Cyclone fans. They hate Iowa, they very much dislike the Brands attitude, and they can't stand the Brands over the top antics.

Now that the Cyclones need a new coach, I find it more than a little ironic that Terry Brands is considered by many to be the best fit for ISU. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, nor could he not have great success leading this program. I'm just saying that while many have wanted Cyclone wrestlers to be more aggressive the past couple years. Almost everyone on this board has put down the Iowa program, including coaches, the way they carry themselves and their ultra aggressive attitude.

I know that everyone is thinking that we want Terry, not Tom. Well guess what. They are cut from the same cloth. They are not much different at all and I bet most people reading this can not tell one from the other if they were standing next to them? I just wonder if those people whom want Terry so bad this year, will be back to bashing him and his brother next year if he does not become the next ISU coach?

Just some food for though and I await your answers.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 144

Terry Brands is interested I am sure of it. Gable speaking to the press about him thinking Terry Brands should be our top choice proves it in my mind. If he wasn't pumped about the job, do you think he would let Gable pimp him to the press?

I have heard Terry is very much into the job and a buddy of mine who wrestled at ISU and I think is in the know told me he hopes to hear something by this weekend......

Terry is his first choice as a replacement.
    Bono is one of the lower ones on the list.