Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 90

Party Registration

While some of the VEISHEA problems that typically occur have to do with Welch Ave itself, here is a potential solution to mend relations between students and police. I go to grad school at Colorado State, where the city is implementing a party registration. If there is a noise complaint, the person who registers the party will be notified and have a chance to shut down/ quiet down the party, instead of just having the police show up. I'm curious to hear how people think something like this would fly in Ames.

Program hopes to help students avoid potential noise violations - News

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Party Registration

Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    While some of the VEISHEA problems that typically occur have to do with Welch Ave itself, here is a potential solution to mend relations between students and police. I go to grad school at Colorado State, where the city is implementing a party registration. If there is a noise complaint, the person who registers the party will be notified and have a chance to shut down/ quiet down the party, instead of just having the police show up. I'm curious to hear how people think something like this would fly in Ames.

I just feel like people wouldn't register really for parties, especially if they were underage. It would seem like it would create a list of addresses for police to check up on throughout that night...

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think there was an uproar about keg registration for a while, but they got used to it. I'm sure it'd be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 113

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    I think there was an uproar about keg registration for a while, but they got used to it. I'm sure it'd be the same.
    There was. The thing people feared about Keg registration was that it would give the cops a list to just go around and check, and bust parties, etc. However, cops can't check it for something like a day after they buy the keg, or something, so they can't just go to liquor stores and get a "who's partying list". Basically, if something bad happens at a party, they can go back and find out who bought the keg, so someone is accountable.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,211
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 63

You can do this now voluntarily and have less issues with the police that night. When we'd have a house party back in the day we always had the Ames PD come over to do a decibal check earlier in the day to verify it was at an appropriate level. It's buttering up the cops early to avoid problems later. Also, if there becomes an issue later in the night, you've got a little more leniancy because you're cooperative.

Cyclone
    Iowa State became the Cyclones after they leveled Northwestern in 1895. As the Chicago Tribune (9/29/1895) noted:
    'Struck by a Cyclone
    It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town'

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 896
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Oh this is BS... I'm sure the cops get that list, call everyone at 9 o'clock regardless of whether there's actually a complaint, and then they're set up with a map of houses to bust for the rest of the night.

This party is going to be off the chain tonight! BRB, I just have to go get the kegs, drugs, hookers and register the party with the police!

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Stuff is going to happen during Veishea, I wish it didn't, but it is going to happen. As long as we keep riots somewhat infrequent, Veishea is not going anywhere. Remember, there have been riots during Veishea since the 70's and even before.

Second, parties are not necessarily the problem, it's the bars. It is too many drunk people on Welch and it only takes one incident for them to turn. Parties actually help disperse everyone so there are not as many on Welch.

Overall, I would say that the relationship between the students and faculty and the local cops are about as good as it could. I think people would actually hate the cops more if they had to register their party.

Last edited by jaretac; 04-21-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 113

I honestly think if police just left people be during veishea, and only apprehended individuals who were clearly out of line, rather than coming after the masses, we'd never see a riot.

For example, if there is a fight, break it up, deal with the idiots involved. Don't turn on a crowd of people, and use it as an excuse to shut everything down, hurting businesses, etc.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

There are a lot of things that could be done better but this idea has bad written all over it

"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." - Charles Barkley

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 811
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 90

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    Stuff is going to happen during Veishea, I wish it didn't, but it is going to happen. As long as we keep riots somewhat infrequent, Veishea is not going anywhere. Remember, there have been riots during Veishea since the 70's and even before.

Second, parties are not necessarily the problem, it's the bars. It is too many drunk people on Welch and it only takes one incident for them to turn. Parties actually help disperse everyone so there are not as many on Welch.

Overall, I would say that the relationship between the students and faculty and the local cops are about as good as it could. I think people would actually hate the cops more if they had to register their party.
    Is this necessarily always true? I thought the big riots in 2004? were started because a huge house party on Hunt St got shut down by cops with riot gear?

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,014
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I honestly think if police just left people be during veishea, and only apprehended individuals who were clearly out of line, rather than coming after the masses, we'd never see a riot.

For example, if there is a fight, break it up, deal with the idiots involved. Don't turn on a crowd of people, and use it as an excuse to shut everything down, hurting businesses, etc.
    And remember, if you're in the area and NOT involved in the aforementioned incident, turn around and go the opposite way. Do not rubberneck, gawk or otherwise try to see what's happening, just because you're not the guilty party.

I don't think police want to "turn" on a crowd of people; I think they'd much rather deal with only those involved. It's difficult to tell who's not involved when there is a crowd.

Too much alcohol helps too many people make too many inappropriate choices that they would never do when they were sober.

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 18

I dont want this to turn into a frat/anti-frat thread, but they already do this. Any parties are pre-registered with the student board (IFC) and usually they have the cops come over earlier in the night to get a sound check to make sure they are ok on the music and avoid any noise complaints. The cops are waaay more lenient on the houses in this case as they are being open and when the cops do shut them down for noise complaints they are much nicer. This might work at these "off campus" parties

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day".-Frank Sinatra

@cyfert26 on Twitter

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Is this necessarily always true? I thought the big riots in 2004? were started because a huge house party on Hunt St got shut down by cops with riot gear?
    The issue is that the entirety of Hunt St was a massive chain of house parties. All of them were broken up which resulted in everyone heading for Welch. It really magnified the Welch issue.

And the riot gear didn't come out until after Welch got out of hand.