Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 19

I am getting sick of ...

ALL THE CAEL BASHING GOING ON RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, he left ISU for PSU and nobody knows the reasoning behind it but himself and his family, but come on! Cael has been with the ISU program in one form or fashion since 1997 and it is now 2009! Did everybody on this site really think he was going to stay at ISU for the next 50 years? I didn't! I for one am in need of new scenery every now and then and leaving ISU for Cael was bound to happen sooner or later.

People are saying that he left for the money! Yes, he is getting paid more but in the grand scheme of things, he is not getting paid the early reported 500K a year that some have said.

Finally, people are stating they have lost respect for Cael b/c he is possibly taking some of his own recruits with him! All I have to say to that is it is the student/athletes final decision if they stay or go. Cael is not GOD and the wrestlers have a right to say no, they are staying at ISU. Also, welcome to the world of the NCAA, where coaches, at all levels, take recruits with them to their new locations.

It is in my opinion that Cael doesn't owe anything to ISU. He represented ISU with the utmost dignity and respect as a student/athlete and as a coach and for that I wish him all the luck in the world at PSU!!!!

GO CAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,306
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 43

Re: I am getting sick of ...

I have no ill feelings for Cael. He's given plenty to Iowa State over the years. If he feels more comfortable at Penn State, more power to him. I will root for him. It's not like he's Gene Chizik and bailed without doing anything productive at ISU.

I would appreciate if he didn't try to take 7 wrestlers with him but otherwise I have no issue.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 32

He made a decision. I'm fine with that. If he starts poaching his wrestlers after he says he's in this "hotbed", then I'll be ******.

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    He made a decision. I'm fine with that. If he starts poaching his wrestlers after he says he's in this "hotbed", then I'll be ******.
    I agree. If it so much easier to recruit and and win championships at Penn State, then recruit in that area, don't poach from another school.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

I largely agree with you, Tank.

I've got no problem with him leaving, to be honest. He's gotta do what he feels he's gotta do.

I hope he has great success in the future. In some ways I hope he has more success there because it will mean he's accomplished more there than he possibly could here, purely because of the history he's got on his side at ISU.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by rbrook View Post
    I agree. If it so much easier to recruit and and win championships at Penn State, then recruit in that area, don't poach from another school.
    As much as I hate to say it...

I wish the kids would wait to see who the next new coach is, but if there whole reason for choosing ISU was Cael, then they are the ones wronged more than anyone and should have the right to move on.

Who knows, at least the ones who stay are committed to ISU.

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I ask is poaching illegal, and if a Junior leaves he would not be able to wrestle in 2010? Correct?

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 20

I disagree. ISU did more for Cael than any other univeristy has done for any individual athlete/coach that I can recall. They created an "ambassador" job so he would have a few dollars in his pocket while he trained for the Olympics, they forced out an elite coach to give him a job when he was a totally unproven candidate, and they then made him the highest paid coach in the nation. They/we treated him the way you would treat a family member. In return he turned his back on us and rode off into the sunset.

I think he did owe a lot to the University and it's students/alumni/fans. I'm extremely disappointed in his actions.

Having said that, I'm not ****** anymore. He'll have to live with his decision and I am not going to waste any more time wondering why he would take the course of action he chose.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post
    I ask is poaching illegal
    If he contacts the athletes as anything other than an Iowa State coach, yes. If he contacts our athletes right now, it's an NCAA violation. LOI's are signed to the school, not the coach (or former coach in this case).

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by sunset View Post
    I disagree. ISU did more for Cael than any other univeristy has done for any individual athlete/coach that I can recall. They created an "ambassador" job so he would have a few dollars in his pocket while he trained for the Olympics, they forced out an elite coach to give him a job when he was a totally unproven candidate, and they then made him the highest paid coach in the nation. They/we treated him the way you would treat a family member. In return he turned his back on us and rode off into the sunset.

I think he did owe a lot to the University and it's students/alumni/fans. I'm extremely disappointed in his actions.

Having said that, I'm not ****** anymore. He'll have to live with his decision and I am not going to waste any more time wondering why he would take the course of action he chose.
    Sums up my feeling as well. Still mourning the loss and uncertain about how this will play out.

We all know the headlines about Gable and his success after ISU.
    I wonder what the headlines will read 5, 10, 20 years from now about this situation.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I agree. So far, he's taken the high road and did things honorably. The second he starts poaching wrestlers, that moral high ground is gone. His brother, I understand. Anyone else and he pretty much doesn't have the character that I thought he did. If you are such a good coach moving to this recruiting hotbed, find new athletes and build it up from scratch.

ISU deserves better than that from Cael. If he starts poaching wrestlers, damaging the program at his alma mater, I'll consider him a punk from here on out.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Cael did way more for ISU than we did for him.

~ 40k scholarship + ~ 400k salary.

159 - 0 as an athlete

44-10 as a coach

oh, and a Gold medal for their trouble.

Under $500k (what man thought he was getting per year at his new gig) for all that performance.

He was a steal.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    Cael did way more for ISU than we did for him.

~ 40k scholarship + ~ 400k salary.

159 - 0 as an athlete

44-10 as a coach

oh, and a Gold medal for their trouble.

Under $500k (what man thought he was getting per year at his new gig) for all that performance.

He was a steal.

+1

I have lived all over the U.S. since Cael graduated and then won the Gold and b/c of Cael, Iowa State University was put on the map. It wasn't football or basketball, but wrestling that did this and it is b/c of Cael that is happened.

Am I going to miss him - yes, but will I be upset if wrestlers follow him to PSU - no and this b/c it is their decision to leave ISU for PSU and nobody elses!

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I have lived all over the U.S. since Cael graduated and then won the Gold and b/c of Cael, Iowa State University was put on the map. It wasn't football or basketball, but wrestling that did this and it is b/c of Cael that is happened.
    Not to discount what CS did, but we did have a little wrestling tradition and a few gold medal winners in the past... I think there was even one that didn't surrender a point in the Olympics

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by dunar View Post
    Not to discount what CS did, but we did have a little wrestling tradition and a few gold medal winners in the past... I think there was even one that didn't surrender a point in the Olympics
    159-0 > 118-1

Last edited by clones_jer; 04-20-2009 at 09:26 PM.