Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quit Voting, Our Student Spirit Sucks

I was at the game and just about puked. Not because of our pathetic play, but because of the pathetic support from PARTS of our student section. I moved down to the top part of Cyclone Alley shortly after the game started. There was plenty of room left. Many of the people around me sat for virtually the entire game. Many did not even stand up for the fight song or even many of the rather few occasions when most of the old people stood up. I yelled at some of them a few times to stand up and support their team, to no avail. They made next to no noise and participated in no cheers. Most of them left with 3-4 minutes left in the game.

There were of course a lot of students who were great and supported the team well. Most of them were in the bottom half of Cyclone Ally. I especially enjoy the guy that has made a habit of running around the upper arena circle. I'm also probably preaching to the choir as I doubt anyone on here would be part of the problem. On the whole though, the student section is pathetic compared to even a few years ago.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: Quit Voting, Our Student Spirit Sucks

So you are saying that the 'old' student section would have just ROCKED THE HOUSE today?? Give me a break.

This game gave very few chances for the crowd to be into it.

Cyclone Alley is great, and the old way is gone. Get over it.

Pro
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

You are delusional, yes the fan support was poor today but the team was worse by a long shot. Students hold that place together!

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433
    Given: 275

This is what they call going off the deep end after a sour loss.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 965
    Given: 861

What sucks is the fact that Hilton Magic is not what it used to be. 5-10 years ago, losing on OUR turf was NOT acceptable. I don't mind losing road games, but NO one comes to our house and makes us look like idiots. I miss the days when the crowds were always loud, standing and we would not lose at home.

@RandomGeoFacts

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 19

There's a reason they are sitting towards the top of the Alley, they don't care.

This is why I personally don't get bothered by the students that don't show up. They are the ones that would sit on their *** the whole game and talk on their cell phone anyway.

The majority of our students are great so quit trying to find an illusional scapegoat here.

Starter
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd say that your student spirit sucks if you don't vote because of a couple of fans who go to games when they don't care about the team.

"It's not my fault that an opposing player isn't as strong as me" - Marcus Fizer

Giving it a go
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 7

Kyle, are you a student? I thought you were. If he is, then he should be able to say what he wants.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

I don't think the original post is too far off from the cold truth. The student turnout today was pathetic and nearly half of them were gone before the game was even over. I'm a big fan of staying to the final end of any game and I think it's even more lame that students who mostly can walk to Hilton from the dorms can't even stay for the final couple minutes. There were some obvious empty rows of seats toward the top of Cyclone Alley and ironically I had just read an ISU Daily article over lunch before the game that they had to freeze the membership because they are over 3000 now. Well where were all these folks if CA has become that big???

Students better start packing those sections full for every game else Pollard will be tempted to take some of those seats away and sell them to NCC donors who would pay big bucks to move back down into those sections that used to be for season ticket holders. I'm just 4 years removed from being a student at ISU and it just frustrates me how they've made the student section bigger and better with CA which I would loved to have had back when I was in school and now students are taking it for granted and not even showing up to games unless they are against someone like Kansas.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

We all new this team was going to have its up and downs and growing pains. They still fought till the end. The willingness to cheer and excitement is there. Just not much to get excited about today. There will be better day.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 721

The truth is that fan support almost always follows winning! Wish it wasn't that way but it is the truth. As CyBandCG stated...this was going to be a tough year regardless. We hoped our team would play hard and let the chips fall. That is what is happening. This is not the most talented team or best team GMac will put on the floor in Hilton. It is a process...and we are growing! The reality is that once our growth results in more wins...then the student section will rock! It will be the thing to do! The last couple of years have rally drained the spirit! GMac will bring it back! It wasn't going to happen over night!

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

The student section should rock regardless of wins and losses. Colorado had about 3000 fans in attendance for the game against us and I bet half of that was their student section which you could hear the entire game. You can't tell me that being a 4 win team before that game that the students didn't have a great reason to stay home and do something else but they still showed up.

I'm not trying to completely rip on our student section. They do a great job of standing up and cheering. This is more a rant on why the rest of the CA members don't show up and do the same for EVERY GAME. I thought the public did a great job of packing Hilton corner to corner today and guess where the most noticable empty seats were: behind the baskets both at the top of CA and in the balcony. This is why people get on the students for not showing up is because they make it too easy by leaving rows of empty seats then some b!tch about the location of the seats on top of it. I'd rather have so many students show up that they make it hard not to give them more seats because there is no room to put them.

I'd gladly trade you my 11th row corner balcony seats for those empty ones down in CA because I'd be glad to be able to stand the entire game and cheer loud instead of staying at home and watching like the ones that don't show. If I stood up the entire game where I'm at now I'd probably have some old farts calling for the ushers to get me to sit down.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 548

Do we have one besides the KU and Iowa game?

Typical game from our students.

I was in the upper deck student section on the Cyclone bench end of the floor. I would bet over 60% of the people sitting there were NOT students. Cant even fill lower level of Cyclone Alley for a SATURDAY CONFERENCE game with a team who is 2-2 in the conf.

what a joke. Lets go back to the old seating arrangement.

The students continue to blow again and again, football and basketball.

Last edited by ajk4st8; 01-20-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chadm View Post
    Kyle, are you a student? I thought you were. If he is, then he should be able to say what he wants.
    I'm two years removed from ISU, but am now going to Drake for law school. I still like to sneak into the student section when there is room because I hate sitting at games.

The students are still the ones making the most noise and bringing the most magic to Hilton. I am usually a strong advocate on behalf of the students, but it is not what it used to be though. There are fewer people and a much larger percentage of them don't care. Its frustrating.

Prospect
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

as a student, i would say that some of these claims are pretty unfair. it's hard to rock the house when the team only scores 16 points in the first half, and they way some of you are talking, it seems that you're implying it's our fault, what a crock. also, CA is on both ends this year as opposed to just one side last year. if it was the same way last year as it is this year, CA would be jam packed every game. what disappointing is that after every home loss, whether it be football and basketball, the students get ripped on even after we set records in tickets sales and CA members. thanks fellow cyclones