Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,048
    Given: 11

Blow To Our Progam or Blow To Our Ego

Iowa State has obviously had one of the top 5 wrestling programs in the nation throughout the history of collegiate wrestling. It is my opinion, that the popularity of wrestling in the state of Iowa, as well as the talent pool located in the high school ranks, Iowa State's wrestling program will sell itself. Will loosing Cael serve as a huge detriment to the growth of our program? I highly doubt it. I think we will continue to be a force on the national scene, and will be in the conversation for many years to come.

The reason this situation has so many up in arms is it is a huge blow to what ego we Iowa State fans have left. Our wrestling program is the one aspect of our athletic department we can count on seeing continued sucess in, and losing Cael seems to make us feel inferior in the one sport we have seen a winning tradition in. This being said, this program has been built by much more than Cael Sanderson. While his college career was undoubtedly the highlight of wrestling at Iowa State, his success does not define Iowa State wrestling. Losing Cael as a monumental figure of Iowa State hurts, but does losing him as a coach hurt at all? After all, he has only been coaching since 2006...it is not like we are losing a legend in the coaching ranks. It is understandable for everyone to be upset towards Cael and expect more from an Iowa State legend, but in no way should his departure leave you discontented about the wrestling program or the athletic departments committment to Iowa State wrestling. This turn of events certainly hurts the egos of all Iowa State fans, but lets not forget that our wrestling program will go forth and, in my opinion, see continued success far into the future without Cael Sanderson.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 18

Re: Blow To Our Progam or Blow To Our Ego

Both, but the worse one is the blow to the program. We were poised to be a favorite for NC next year and right there for years to come. This, without a doubt, is going to tear the program apart for a significant amount of time. Talk on the street is that Varner wants to follow and that he will be able to as a grad student. If so, that right there wipes out any chance of getting the NC next year. Further, we will lose Cyler and possibly other starters and we will almost 100% lose Taylor and Weatherman. We are screwed if we don't find someone who can keep this team together.

Cael let us down by leaving, but the real damage he will do is yet to come, when the program is torn apart by defections.... some likely at Cael's doing.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 160

I think the issue for me is that we would like to think that someone who was the best at what he did, who did it at Iowa State, one of our own who would never leave for the money.
    But in the end, money won again.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Money always wins. I'm unhappy about Cael leaving, but I don't understand why people see so surprised?

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

If it's so much easier to build a program at Penn State, why doesn't Cael recruit his own guys there, instead of ones who are currently enrolled or signed with Iowa State? No matter what anyone says it's Busch League to take athletes from your current school, particularly your alma mater, to your new school. McDermott could have done it with a few guys, but was classy enough not to do it.

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,340
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    Iowa State has obviously had one of the top 5 wrestling programs in the nation throughout the history of collegiate wrestling. It is my opinion, that the popularity of wrestling in the state of Iowa, as well as the talent pool located in the high school ranks, Iowa State's wrestling program will sell itself. Will loosing Cael serve as a huge detriment to the growth of our program? I highly doubt it. I think we will continue to be a force on the national scene, and will be in the conversation for many years to come.

The reason this situation has so many up in arms is it is a huge blow to what ego we Iowa State fans have left. Our wrestling program is the one aspect of our athletic department we can count on seeing continued sucess in, and losing Cael seems to make us feel inferior in the one sport we have seen a winning tradition in. This being said, this program has been built by much more than Cael Sanderson. While his college career was undoubtedly the highlight of wrestling at Iowa State, his success does not define Iowa State wrestling. Losing Cael as a monumental figure of Iowa State hurts, but does losing him as a coach hurt at all? After all, he has only been coaching since 2006...it is not like we are losing a legend in the coaching ranks. It is understandable for everyone to be upset towards Cael and expect more from an Iowa State legend, but in no way should his departure leave you discontented about the wrestling program or the athletic departments committment to Iowa State wrestling. This turn of events certainly hurts the egos of all Iowa State fans, but lets not forget that our wrestling program will go forth and, in my opinion, see continued success far into the future without Cael Sanderson.
    $anderson isn't done damaging our program yet. When Bale $anderson gets done torpedoing us on his way out, good luck being in the top 5 next year, when we should of had a REALLY good shot at a national title. Not to mention how many of the great recruits will go to P$U or O$U. If he could just leave and never look back and that was it I would get over it, but if he leaves and takes our program back a decade I am going to hate him for the rest of my life.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Sanderson at his press conference today:
    “I can’t really say what’s going to happen with those wrestlers. We’ve spent a lot of time talking with the individuals, and they’re gonna, they’re gonna try and stay. I think it’s important that they stick together, especially – we have a great junior class at Iowa State. And I think it’s important that they stick together and finish what they started.”
    It didn't seem like he was posturing. But I doubt he'd strongly resist if some of those upperweights follow him over.
    (Ward, Varner, Thompson -- Zabriskie said he's staying)
    Penn State didn't qualify the 184-, 197-pound or heavweight class for the NCAA Tournament.

Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Along with Z, I've heard that Mueller, Burk, Ward, Jensen, and Sorenson are staying from various guys I talk to on campus. Hopefully many more make the same decision.

--------------------------------------
    “Max Power—he's the man whose name you'd love to touch...
    But, you musn't touch!
    His name sounds good in your ear
    But when you say it, you mustn't fear
    Because his name can be said by anyone!”

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

"they stick together and finish what they started"... so it appears Cael had nothing to do with it...

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post
    "they stick together and finish what they started"... so it appears Cael had nothing to do with it...
    The irony of that statement is too much for me to handle. What a puke. I've lost a lot of respect for Cael.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71

I would label it as a huge blow to the program.

With Cael, I think we had a good chance of winning national championships in the near future. No matter who we hire to replace him, I think the potential for national championships has been severely reduced.