Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 42,021, Level: 63
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,102
    Points
    42,021
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 14

    KU players off team, suspended?

    I just got an email from a friend who is a KU fan. He stated that KU's wide receiver Briscoe (sp?) was suspended for breaking some kind of Mangino rules and that another player, a running back, was involved in some sort of battery charges.

    I sent him an email seeking clarification whether these "suspensions" were permanent or were just for the spring game. I haven't heard back from him.

    Maybe no one cares about this, but I think KU is one road game we can win next season.


    Last edited by Cyrocks; 04-20-2009 at 10:46 AM. Reason: spelling

  2. #2
    Walk On NewCoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    150
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    The rumor around campus is Briscoe is having academic problems. All he has to do is get himself back in good standing, by accomplishing a list of things Mangino asked him to do, and he is on the team. I would be amazingly surprised to not see him next year.

    Now Crawford is a different case. This got some play earlier on the CycloneFanatic when the KU player was hospitalized. All that seems to have come out was Lueken (hospitalized kid) was seriously injured, has since made a recovery, but on the night it happenend Crawford was arrested and than subsequently released, no charges have been filed. However he has been suspended indefinatley. It sounds like there isn't a clear picture of what actually went down that night, but Crawford is in the doghouse big time and I would not be surpised if he is done at KU.

    As someone who is a fan of both ISU and KU, as much as I want ISU to beat KU (I will be wearing gold on the sidelines in the KU student section). I really doubt we win this one. KU only got worse in one area last year (linebacker) and other than that the entire team should be better. I know this game was close last year but don't expect KU to start that slow at home. As far as Big 12 road games I think we have a MUCH better shot at MU next season.


    Cyclone: 1st, Jayhawk: 2nd, Hawkeye? Never!

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    Quote Originally Posted by NewCoke View Post
    The rumor around campus is Briscoe is having academic problems. All he has to do is get himself back in good standing, by accomplishing a list of things Mangino asked him to do, and he is on the team. I would be amazingly surprised to not see him next year.

    Now Crawford is a different case. This got some play earlier on the CycloneFanatic when the KU player was hospitalized. All that seems to have come out was Lueken (hospitalized kid) was seriously injured, has since made a recovery, but on the night it happenend Crawford was arrested and than subsequently released, no charges have been filed. However he has been suspended indefinatley. It sounds like there isn't a clear picture of what actually went down that night, but Crawford is in the doghouse big time and I would not be surpised if he is done at KU.

    As someone who is a fan of both ISU and KU, as much as I want ISU to beat KU (I will be wearing gold on the sidelines in the KU student section). I really doubt we win this one. KU only got worse in one area last year (linebacker) and other than that the entire team should be better. I know this game was close last year but don't expect KU to start that slow at home. As far as Big 12 road games I think we have a MUCH better shot at MU next season.

    I too expect the Mizzou game to be quite winnable. I am not at all convinced that Mizzou is a new power player. Too me (and yes this is a common theme with me) they have never proven they can play the kind of D needed to be a top shelf program.

    KU has in the past, so has NU, so has CU, but definitely not MU. Although I do realize the Big 12 has become an "Offensive" conference but they still have times when they need a D and Missouri’s, in my mind is the worst of the worst.

    For evidence, the reason the Utah's, Fresno's TCU's and yes even Boise’s of the world NOW compete with the Big boys is they improved their defensive personnel and schemes.

    Chad



  4. #4
    Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,273
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    Quote Originally Posted by cmhawks99 View Post
    I too expect the Mizzou game to be quite winnable. I am not at all convinced that Mizzou is a new power player. Too me (and yes this is a common theme with me) they have never proven they can play the kind of D needed to be a top shelf program.

    KU has in the past, so has NU, so has CU, but definitely not MU. Although I do realize the Big 12 has become an "Offensive" conference but they still have times when they need a D and Missouri’s, in my mind is the worst of the worst.

    For evidence, the reason the Utah's, Fresno's TCU's and yes even Boise’s of the world NOW compete with the Big boys is they improved their defensive personnel and schemes.

    Chad
    You Hawks with your defense. The Big 12's D sucked as a whole last year. If you're throwing up 42 points in a game, you don't need that great of a D...



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 29,996, Level: 53
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    gocy444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,012
    Points
    29,996
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    they budged in front of their coach in the buffet line


    B.F.S.R.

  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 92,068, Level: 94
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,165
    Points
    92,068
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 78

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    Quote Originally Posted by gocy444 View Post
    they budged in front of their coach in the buffet line
    they wouldn't be suspended....they'd be dead.


    Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

    Dosry, You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

    Quote Originally Posted by bos
    You sir are a legend.

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 211,501, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyDude16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heads in the sky
    Posts
    9,682
    Points
    211,501
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 292
    Given: 1,104

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    Quote Originally Posted by dosry5 View Post
    they wouldn't be suspended....they'd be dead.
    Well I'd assume so, i hear its can be hard to get oxygen while being digested in the intestines.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    You Hawks with your defense. The Big 12's D sucked as a whole last year. If you're throwing up 42 points in a game, you don't need that great of a D...
    Not sure if you are just having fun or not, but you might want to ask OSU, TT and OU how those proficient O'’s worked for them in the Bowl games. OU only needed 25 to win; yet alas a team with a defense did indeed win.

    Chad



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 38,444, Level: 60
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Altoona
    Posts
    3,781
    Points
    38,444
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    The big 10's AMAZING defenses really helped them too.



  10. #10
    Walk On NewCoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    150
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    Quote Originally Posted by gocy444 View Post
    they budged in front of their coach in the buffet line
    You know one nice thing for Kansas about Mangino's weight is that it makes it much less likely he gets scooped out by a top program or the NFL. I mean after the two really good years he has had at Kansas with what appears to be one more waiting in the wings, a national coach of the year award, how is this guy not having to fend off the job offers with a stick? The only explanation I can come up with is because he doesn't look like the prototypical coach. Anyone have a better reason he hasn't left KU let me know.


    Cyclone: 1st, Jayhawk: 2nd, Hawkeye? Never!

  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    The big 10's AMAZING defenses really helped them too.

    You guys are so bitter....................I, and most every “honest” Big10 fan on here have readily admitted the Big 10 had lousy O's. Yet those lousy O's still scored 21 and 23 against Big 12 teams, in which case said Big 12 teams scored 24 and 30 (in OT) respectively.

    I never said the Big 10 was better, I never said the Big 12 wasn’t a fun conference. I simply said, (and everyone outside the Big 12 would agree) that it takes top shelf D to win. I think we saw that in the NC game.

    The Big 10 teams scored what, 7-8 points under their average. What did the Big 12 teams do? Defense is typically pretty consistent………..Offense isn’t.

    Now what………………

    Chad



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    I had to come back and say, I'm not trying to pee in anyone's cheerios here. It's not about the Big 10 or Big 12. I honestly love both conferences and have for 27 years. I happen to believe top shelf Defense is the number one desire to having a very good football team from year to year. The Big 10 sucks because their QB’s suck. Yet because of their D's they were still competitive.

    You guys are so insecure about the Big 10. Man alive..............I talked about teams in the Big 12 that HAD solid D’s in years past and you guys get crabby. I have to assume it is because you know they play poor D and you are insecure about it. Not such problem with me as I know the Big 10 O’s were spotty. They still had decent football teams though.

    Chad


    Last edited by cmhawks99; 04-20-2009 at 10:16 PM.

  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 47,488, Level: 67
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    2,966
    Points
    47,488
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 15

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    I do think that you need to take the Big XII offensive performance in bowl games with a grain of salt. Many of the teams that stumbled in the post season run very precise timing routes. It was obvious that that the offensive attacks were a bit rusty after the time off.
    I think it had very little to do with the Defense they were playing against.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 20,142, Level: 43
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cmhawks99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bourbonnais, Il
    Posts
    1,240
    Points
    20,142
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    I do think that you need to take the Big XII offensive performance in bowl games with a grain of salt. Many of the teams that stumbled in the post season run very precise timing routes. It was obvious that that the offensive attacks were a bit rusty after the time off.
    I think it had very little to do with the Defense they were playing against.

    Highly convenient to say, especially when the teams that Defensed the Big 12 well historically play good Defense. But all the same your point is valid annnnnnnndddd exactly what I'm saying.

    Offense is fleeting and very inconsistent. If you can screw up the timing and put ANY pressure on the QB and O-line at all, it messes everything up. Hence my belief that top shelf D's are way more important than top shelf O's I think the New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts would agree. Eventually the Big 12 will figure it out again as well.
    Considering that OU's starting safety’s ran mid to high 4.7 forties (making them slower than many of Iowa's Lbers) it seems maybe the Big 12, while up on Offensive talent is down a tick on defensive talent. I do find it entertaining though that this is the mantra Big 12 fans are hanging their hats on, pretty much showing just how fleeting Offensive juggernauts can be.

    Chad


    Last edited by cmhawks99; 04-20-2009 at 10:36 PM.

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 87,119, Level: 91
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,179
    Points
    87,119
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 169

    Re: KU players off team, suspended?

    Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    I think it had very little to do with the Defense they were playing against.
    Can't agree with that statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    I do think that you need to take the Big XII offensive performance in bowl games with a grain of salt. Many of the teams that stumbled in the post season run very precise timing routes. It was obvious that that the offensive attacks were a bit rusty after the time off.
    This is a point I TOTALLY agree with, it's tough to hold bowl games a week right after the season ends because of tickets/hotels/airplanes/buses/etc. but I think the time off without any full speed games can't have a negative effect on teams.

    I also hate the rule(s) about practicing for teams who didn't make the bowl games. Teams who don't make the bowl games need the practice as much as anyone, but aren't allowed to. It's completely unfair and the NCAA doesn't seem to like to go the way of the pro sports in that they don't try to help the teams at the bottom. They want USC/Florida/Ohio State/Oklahoma/Texas to be the best/have the advantages year in year out (as if they need more help or something.) In the NFL if you are the last place team - you get the #1 pick the next year. I think discrepancy is what makes things like the NFL so attractive to fans. The NCAA doesn't seem to feel the same way.


    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

    HOI-BALL!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM