Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 23

Why have all these coaches left?

A. Better opportunities
    B. More Money
    C. The AD
    D. All of the above

Frankly, I was overjoyed that Chizik was leaving town, but if Cael left because of the money- I'd do the same thing if the opportunity presented itself.

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 128

Re: Why have all these coaches left?

B.

There shouldn't be anything better than coaching at Iowa State. The simple life, nice people, beautiful campus, loyal fans....great team colors.....why would you leave?

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

You reap what you sow. Jamie came in and in two years fired ten coaching staffs. Not ten coaches, ten staffs. That is a lot of people and families -- and outside of the football staff and the million bucks he paid to Wayne Morgan, most of them do not have large incomes and most of them only have year-to-year contracts with no provision for severance pay. Especially the assistants. The ISU athletic coaching staff is a pretty small group, and when a new boss comes in and changes dozens and dozens of people's lives, uproots families, makes kids leave schools and move, etc., what happens to the ones who get left behind? The same thing that happens when an ax man appears and guts any business or other organization. They don't know who is next, they worry if one bad season will be the end of them, and they end up looking for a better workplace.

For one, I cannot stand the way Pollard appears to be shocked and hurt whenever a coach quits on him. After he just fired dozens of their colleagues, he's either acting or a fool if he thinks it doesn't work both ways. We'd just better hope that Bill Fennelly and Christy Johnson don't tell him they're outta here one of these days. I never expected them too, but after this week I won't be surprised if it happens, either.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,282
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 156

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    You reap what you sow. Jamie came in and in two years fired ten coaching staffs. Not ten coaches, ten staffs. That is a lot of people and families -- and outside of the football staff and the million bucks he paid to Wayne Morgan, most of them do not have large incomes and most of them only have year-to-year contracts with no provision for severance pay. Especially the assistants. The ISU athletic coaching staff is a pretty small group, and when a new boss comes in and changes dozens and dozens of people's lives, uproots families, makes kids leave schools and move, etc., what happens to the ones who get left behind? The same thing that happens when an ax man appears and guts any business or other organization. They don't know who is next, they worry if one bad season will be the end of them, and they end up looking for a better workplace.

For one, I cannot stand the way Pollard appears to be shocked and hurt whenever a coach quits on him. After he just fired dozens of their colleagues, he's either acting or a fool if he thinks it doesn't work both ways. We'd just better hope that Bill Fennelly and Christy Johnson don't tell him they're outta here one of these days. I never expected them too, but after this week I won't be surprised if it happens, either.
    uggghhhhhh....

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post

College athletics is more of a business than it ever has been. Yeah, it sucks that stuff has to happen, but that is the risk you take when you decide to make coaching a profession. I think any coach that is being paid enough to make a living (and often times a very good one) would tell you they understand.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    B.

There shouldn't be anything better than coaching at Iowa State. The simple life, nice people, beautiful campus, loyal fans....great team colors.....why would you leave?

@LeSchmick

XBox Live: Le Schmick

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 23

All 3 depending on the situation, not all for all those reasons though...

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

How I see it:

Wayne Morgan had to go--no discipline, recruiting scandals, etc.

McCarney had to go--the alumni forced Pollard's cards. Chizik is now a verb for screwing someone at ISU.

Rhoads is a good coach and too bad he wasn't Dan's replacement.

Cael is a Chizik and his position turned because no one at ISU thought he was a Chizik.

The track position has resulted in great improvements overall. Deny that?

This thread and thinking is just total ******** in my opinion.

ISU was small potatoes in the Big XII and the NCAA unless someone makes a run at being more. Pollard is doing that and its a high risk proposition that a lot of people decided made sense. If they hadn't, Pollard wouldn't have taken the job. If you want to remain small potatoes, you have the wrong guy. Is that what you want?

Think before you drink. It's not noon yet.

Starter
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 76

Quote Originally Posted by wiscocyclone View Post
    How I see it:

McCarney had to go--the alumni forced Pollard's cards. Chizik is now a verb for screwing someone at ISU.

Rhoads is a good coach and too bad he wasn't Dan's replacement.

Cael is a Chizik and his position turned because no one at ISU thought he was a Chizik.

The track position has resulted in great improvements overall. Deny that?

This thread and thinking is just total ******** in my opinion.

ISU was small potatoes in the Big XII and the NCAA unless someone makes a run at being more. Pollard is doing that and its a high risk proposition that a lot of people decided made sense. If they hadn't, Pollard wouldn't have taken the job. If you want to remain small potatoes, you have the wrong guy. Is that what you want?

I think it is a bit premature to say that the track and field program has had great improvement. At the Indoor Conference championships, we finished 9th (Men) and 11th (women). I was at the Drake Relays on Saturday and sat with a former Cyclone letterwinner for Bill Bergan and he was very dissappointed. Hopefully things are changing for the better, but the results on the track aren't there, yet.
    Yes, Lisa Koll is a nice story, but that is one runner.

Recruit
    Thumbs Up

The answer is B

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 126

Quote Originally Posted by drlove View Post
    I think it is a bit premature to say that the track and field program has had great improvement. At the Indoor Conference championships, we finished 9th (Men) and 11th (women). I was at the Drake Relays on Saturday and sat with a former Cyclone letterwinner for Bill Bergan and he was very dissappointed. Hopefully things are changing for the better, but the results on the track aren't there, yet.
    If Cory Ihmels is indeed a good coach (and I think he is), we don't have a prayer of keeping him either if we don't build an acceptable outdoor track. How many years since we even hosted an outdoor meet?
    It is shameful that even tiny high schools in Iowa have better outdoor track facilities than Iowa State.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

How I see it:

What scandals? I was screwed.

Signed,

Your eternal Servant

Wayne Dish

Really, Wayne was booted because we wanted Larry E results and then received McD results in the end.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Same reason Johnny Majors, Earl Bruce and Tim Floyd left: B.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 8

I don't doubt that JP really wants to raise ISU to another level in the Big XII and I do think he's done a good job on what he has to work with (small budget, facilities, etc...).

I think the most difficult thing for me is understanding *why* he does some things the way he does, and that is most likely stems from differences in personality more than anything. I know I couldn't do his job, so I have to trust he knows what he's doing, even if I don't always agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    If Cory Ihmels is indeed a good coach (and I think he is), we don't have a prayer of keeping him either if we don't build an acceptable outdoor track. How many years since we even hosted an outdoor meet?
    It is shameful that even tiny high schools in Iowa have better outdoor track facilities than Iowa State.
    Agree. I think he has some good assistants, too (though I'm a bit biased as I know one personally).

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    What scandals? I was screwed.

Signed,

Your eternal Servant

Wayne Dish

Really, Wayne was booted because we wanted Larry E results and then received McD results in the end.
    The scandal was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...