Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I want to WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my first post here and I'm sorry if it runs a little long. I'm in my early 50's now and have been a Cyclone wrestling fan since my dad took me to my first meet at age 3. During the Douglas years I noticed a disturbing trend (and PLEASE, I don't want anyone taking this personally), many, if not the majority of fans I spoke with were becoming content with not winning championships. I can honestly say that in the last 10 or so years I haven't heard ONE fellow fan get good and p.o.'d at not winning a championship. I did hear a lot of, "Well they had a good tournyment" and 'they did the best they could" or "So and so is just a great kid". Now all of these things are fine, but I want a championship. Is it wrong to want to be number 1? Is it wrong to be unhappy when I watch a team that I think has the horses to win it all come home without a title? When Cael got hired he made a statement that he wanted to win national championships at ISU and that there were no other goals. Since that time I don't think I have heard the word national championship mentioned. I DO remember hearing Cael say he wanted guys to give their "best effort" for an entire match and that wins would take care of themselves. I also remember a few years ago at the NCAA after party I asked another CWC member who was going to give a speech if he was going to whip up the crowd a little by inviting everyone back in one year for a party to celebrate ISU's next NCAA championship and was told we don't want to put that kind of pressure on the team. WTF??? If the coaching staff and donars are afraid to speak aloud the words "National Championship" is it any wonder that we haven't won one in over 20 years. Whoever the next coach is I would like to have him put that out as a publicly stated goal-- WIN IT ALL. Let's get some fire in the belly and some fire on the sideline. To let next years seniors finish their careers without a title would be the worst waste of talent ever at ISU. Whoever we hire-- I would like some more emotion on the sideline.

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,188
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 109

Re: I want to WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mojomo View Post
    This is my first post here and I'm sorry if it runs a little long. I'm in my early 50's now and have been a Cyclone wrestling fan since my dad took me to my first meet at age 3. During the Douglas years I noticed a disturbing trend (and PLEASE, I don't want anyone taking this personally), many, if not the majority of fans I spoke with were becoming content with not winning championships. I can honestly say that in the last 10 or so years I haven't heard ONE fellow fan get good and p.o.'d at not winning a championship. I did hear a lot of, "Well they had a good tournyment" and 'they did the best they could" or "So and so is just a great kid". Now all of these things are fine, but I want a championship. Is it wrong to want to be number 1? Is it wrong to be unhappy when I watch a team that I think has the horses to win it all come home without a title? When Cael got hired he made a statement that he wanted to win national championships at ISU and that there were no other goals. Since that time I don't think I have heard the word national championship mentioned. I DO remember hearing Cael say he wanted guys to give their "best effort" for an entire match and that wins would take care of themselves. I also remember a few years ago at the NCAA after party I asked another CWC member who was going to give a speech if he was going to whip up the crowd a little by inviting everyone back in one year for a party to celebrate ISU's next NCAA championship and was told we don't want to put that kind of pressure on the team. WTF??? If the coaching staff and donars are afraid to speak aloud the words "National Championship" is it any wonder that we haven't won one in over 20 years. Whoever the next coach is I would like to have him put that out as a publicly stated goal-- WIN IT ALL. Let's get some fire in the belly and some fire on the sideline. To let next years seniors finish their careers without a title would be the worst waste of talent ever at ISU. Whoever we hire-- I would like some more emotion on the sideline.
    actually cael said multiple times this season when we lost midlands, duals, etc that they were still focused on a run at the title and thought they were in position to do so.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 25

To let next years seniors finish their careers without a title would be the worst waste of talent ever at ISU. Whoever we hire-- I would like some more emotion on the sideline.
    Yep, you've nuts. This proves it.

However, being in the top 3 is nothing to get even remotely upset about. One team goes home happy every year. One. We've gotten beat by teams that have proved to be better than us (see: Iowa). Would a National Championships be great? Yep, damn right it would. Do I expect it every year? Nope, because that's unrealistic. Do I expect a top 5 finish every year? Damn right because we've proved we can do that! Sprinkle in a title every now and then and I'll just be dandy.

Prospect
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree somewhat with what you're saying. Do I expect a title every year? No, but like you I'd like one every few years. Can you honestly say you DON'T think the class of Jrs we have now should win a title? Wasn't this a number 1 recruiting class? I guess this is where we disagree. To me, if you take a no. 1 recruiting class, bring it to a tradition rich program, and on top of that, add a top of the line coaching staff, that should equal out to a NCAA Championship somewhere along the line. I AM glad that you publicly acknowledged that you want to win some titles. That alone will put you in the minority of fans I have met. It just bothers me that so many people will talk behind closed doors about championships and yet publicly seem to accept less. Let's get a good hire and get this thing moving again.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 25

To me, if you take a no. 1 recruiting class, bring it to a tradition rich program, and on top of that, add a top of the line coaching staff, that should equal out to a NCAA Championship somewhere along the line.
    How do we know we had a top of the line coaching staff? We couldn't finish meets.

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

wait till next year...when we suck and can't break the top 5. The coaching m merry-go-round will effect the recruting. who wants to go where they can't even keep the coaches

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post
    wait till next year...when we suck and can't break the top 5. The coaching m merry-go-round will effect the recruting. who wants to go where they can't even keep the coaches
    Our Suckage will depend on who leaves - if any.

If the CORE remains the same:

Clark
    Fanthorpe
    Gallick
    Reader
    Varner
    Big Z

==> That is very SOLID.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 304

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post
    When the wrestling program tanks next year it will be time to give Jamie Pollard another Pay Raise...

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Yep, you (OP) are crazy! I've heard Cael talk about the national title so many times my ear hurts.

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 4

I talked to a good friend who roommates with guys on the team. I fully expect every starter off last year to follow Cael, except Mueller, Burk, and Ward. Everyone else is gone. Whether ISU releases them or not is another story.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyForPresident View Post
    I talked to a good friend who roommates with guys on the team. I fully expect every starter off last year to follow Cael, except Mueller, Burk, and Ward. Everyone else is gone. Whether ISU releases them or not is another story.
    There is no way for even the guys themselves to know exactly what they are doing until the next coach has a chance to sit down with them and the team.

Not a chance in hell anyone is released to PSU except perhaps Cyler. As for everyone else: NONE. No chance.

No PSU, no Big 12 schools and no Iowa. I have it on pretty good authority that this is true.

Because of that, the vast majority of the seniors WILL be Cyclones next year.

I don't know about most recruits but I do think Weatherman is headed to EIU. If ISU doesn't release him from his LOI the penalty doesn't hurt the kid as he's redshirting next year anyway. And yes, the penalty for breaking an LOI is one year ineligibility.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I hope ISU doesn't release them. That means that everyone who is currently a junior will likely stay because I believe they lose a year of eligibility if they transfer. If they only have a year left- no point to transfer.

These are the guys with one year left (last years starters in bold)
    Burk
    Curran
    DeMarie
    Fanthorpe
    Gallick
    Hale
    Mueller
    Pursel
    Sanderson
    Varner
    Zabriskie

edit- I do agree with the above poster about Cyler possibly being released, but that is only because of the family connection.

Last edited by jaretac; 04-19-2009 at 10:54 AM.