Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

my biggest problem with pollard

i know there have been a few threads on jp already in dealing with the loss of our coach who we thought would never leave.

my problem was in the email that was sent out from the athletic department. while it may not have been written by jp himself, i would hope he would have at least proof read it.

how can you not mention bobby douglas at the bottom of the letter with the other 3 coaches? only diehard wrestling fans have even heard of hugo otopalik, and gibbons may have won a national title here, but was he that much better then bobby d that his name should be mentioned and douglas' not?

look-jp did the right thing by asking douglas to step down so cael could come in here, and i don't think anyone can logically argue that. bobby did the class act thing and stepped down from a job where he had his team in the top 5 every year for around 10 straight years. why no mention of his name? because he wasn't good enough for jp?

i found it a complete slap in the face and while most of you probably didn't notice it and/or don't think it is that big of a deal, i found it to be extremely classless on his part and i am seriously on the wrong side of his fence now.

it is going to take a long time for all of us clone fans to get passed this whole ordeal, and for me, i'm not sure i will. i was one of the biggest supporters of jp until about a year ago when i started having those first doubts, but i put the blinders on and plowed ahead. this act of classlessness will take awhile for me to overcome.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

Re: my biggest problem with pollard

Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    i know there have been a few threads on jp already in dealing with the loss of our coach who we thought would never leave.

my problem was in the email that was sent out from the athletic department. while it may not have been written by jp himself, i would hope he would have at least proof read it.

how can you not mention bobby douglas at the bottom of the letter with the other 3 coaches? only diehard wrestling fans have even heard of hugo otopalik, and gibbons may have won a national title here, but was he that much better then bobby d that his name should be mentioned and douglas' not?

look-jp did the right thing by asking douglas to step down so cael could come in here, and i don't think anyone can logically argue that. bobby did the class act thing and stepped down from a job where he had his team in the top 5 every year for around 10 straight years. why no mention of his name? because he wasn't good enough for jp?

i found it a complete slap in the face and while most of you probably didn't notice it and/or don't think it is that big of a deal, i found it to be extremely classless on his part and i am seriously on the wrong side of his fence now.

it is going to take a long time for all of us clone fans to get passed this whole ordeal, and for me, i'm not sure i will. i was one of the biggest supporters of jp until about a year ago when i started having those first doubts, but i put the blinders on and plowed ahead. this act of classlessness will take awhile for me to overcome.
    Did the other 3 win championships? I don't know, but if they did, that's why it contained those 3. It was discussed yesterday already.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 81

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Did the other 3 win championships? I don't know, but if they did, that's why it contained those 3. It was discussed yesterday already.
    this.

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

i have heard that when Bobby was let go things didn't go down to great and i don't think he will even give us the time of day...if that is true it wouldnt make sense to put his name

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,476
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

he may not give us the time of day for asking him to step down-and i don't blame him for that. but to not include his name in our wrestling legacy is weak.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

he may not give us the time of day for asking him to step down-and i don't blame him for that. but to not include his name in our wrestling legacy is weak.
    Why would he be mentioned - give me a freaking break. Douglas did alot of harm while at ISU. He ran off alot of former wrestlers, the wrestling club all but disapeared. He was not mentioned because he did not win a national championship. He did less with more than any other wrestling coach in ISU history and that is a fact. He did nothing special for the program.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

“We will begin a national search for his replacement immediately and focus our full attention on identifying and recruiting a new coach who can add to the Iowa State championship legacies of former coaches Hugo Otopalik, Dr. Harold Nichols and Jim Gibbons.”

Hugo Otopalik: T-1 1933
    Dr. Harold Nichols: 1965, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977
    Jim Gibbons: 1987

Bobby Douglas: No NCAA titles. -> No championship legacy.

Coaches and Records - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,911
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 14

talk about reading too much into a statement.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Bobby Douglas: No NCAA titles. -> No championship legacy.
    No conference titles either in 14 seasons...

I really hope ISU doesn't end up hiring somebody from the BD tree, unless that person has worked under another coach and has susequently developed superior coaching skills...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy