Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 8

Cael did NOT underachieve

Let's see- 3 big 12 titles and a number 5,3 and 2 finish nationally in 3 years. Have we ever had a better 3 year period going back to the early 70's? And now there are probably a dozen high level programs out there instead of just the Iowa and Oklahoma schools as it was for many years. His first 2 years he had an extremely young team and even this year's team was ALL underclassmen. He's an ISU legend, loves ISU and has a great shot at a national title next year and some people still think it's all about the money? Just doesn't make sense. I do think Cael might have got tired of seeing Pollard throwing millions around like candy to bad coaches while he works for a small fraction of what GMac, Chiz and even new unproven coach PR is paid. Yes I know wrestling is not a money maker, but Sanderson is an ISU legend in the only sport ISU is highly respected for on a national level. YOU CANNOT LET HIM GET AWAY. My guess is Cael probably felt a little disrespected along with any other problems he may have had with Pollard. The fact that once PSU made their offer and he didn't give Pollard a chance to counter-offer speaks volumes. If some wrestlers leave with him, especially if they are seniors, that is just another big red flag for our athletic department.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Cael did NOT underachieve

That sounds like a major underachiever.

Chiefs!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Get ready ... it only took three seasons of Cael to forget we placed 19th! at NCAAs only 7 years back.

Get ready for finishes outside the top 10.

If the turnaround Cael led us two in the last three years after Douglas happened in any other sport he'd be signing a massive extension.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    Get ready ... it only took three seasons of Cael to forget we placed 19th! at NCAAs only 7 years back.

Get ready for finishes outside the top 10.

If the turnaround Cael led us two in the last three years after Douglas happened in any other sport he'd be signing a massive extension.
    Wasn't he still one of the highest paid wrestling coaches in the nation?

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Let's see- 3 big 12 titles and a number 5,3 and 2 finish nationally in 3 years. Have we ever had a better 3 year period going back to the early 70's? And now there are probably a dozen high level programs out there instead of just the Iowa and Oklahoma schools as it was for many years. His first 2 years he had an extremely young team and even this year's team was ALL underclassmen. He's an ISU legend, loves ISU and has a great shot at a national title next year and some people still think it's all about the money? Just doesn't make sense. I do think Cael might have got tired of seeing Pollard throwing millions around like candy to bad coaches while he works for a small fraction of what GMac, Chiz and even new unproven coach PR is paid. Yes I know wrestling is not a money maker, but Sanderson is an ISU legend in the only sport ISU is highly respected for on a national level. YOU CANNOT LET HIM GET AWAY. My guess is Cael probably felt a little disrespected along with any other problems he may have had with Pollard. The fact that once PSU made their offer and he didn't give Pollard a chance to counter-offer speaks volumes. If some wrestlers leave with him, especially if they are seniors, that is just another big red flag for our athletic department.
    That would be awesome if we could do this well in football and basketball. I would take these results any day of the week.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

So...

I assume you'd have put up the money for the new wrestling building like the one he's going to at Penn State?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66

superfan-My post was directed at the many posts both in the past and recently that say Cael underachieved at ISU, he lacked intensity, and other garbage I've read about Cael. You're also assuming that Cael left because PSU has a new wrestling building. I highly doubt that was the only reason an ISU legend would leave his alma mater and a program with great tradition and a great shot at a national title next year to go to a program that has neither. Something smells about this whole debacle.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 19

At the same time, he only exceeded expectations one time (2nd at natl's first year).

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Before Cael we didn't expect to be in the hunt for nat'l championships every year....he raised expectations to the point where we did have those expectations. 'Nuff said. No underachieving here.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 410

maybe, maybe not. i personally don't care. much. i do know that, to me, it seems like he GAVE UP on his alma mater which housed him, fed him, schooled him, employed him.

but he never won a national championship as a coach
    and it's obvious that he's no Jim Gibbons

Addict
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

I think he clearly underachieved. He's coaching at a wrestling icon, getting paid the most in the nation, with an unparalleled history of success as an athlete.

Sure you can say he did better than his predecessor, but he was still running the second best program in the state. He wasn't hired to win Big XII championships, IMO, he was hired to win national championships, not to lose 3 straight years to Iowa.

He admitted as much about the guys he coached not having intensity. http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...e-changes.html

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

superfan-My post was directed at the many posts both in the past and recently that say Cael underachieved at ISU, he lacked intensity, and other garbage I've read about Cael. You're also assuming that Cael left because PSU has a new wrestling building. I highly doubt that was the only reason an ISU legend would leave his alma mater and a program with great tradition and a great shot at a national title next year to go to a program that has neither. Something smells about this whole debacle.
    You're right. Something smells, and to me, it smells like money. I was just reading an article from a State College paper that said, "His interest in the job increases after Thursday's on-campus visit." That, to me, screams "facilities" and a larger budget.

And, like it or not, we have underachieved at points these past few years. We choked away the Midlands this year, going 0-5 in the finals. We nearly choked away the Big XII championship this year, with Z saving our collective ***. Finally, we've underachieved when we take the mat against Iowa. We talk about 3 consecutive Big XII championships. With the talent that's on this team, we should be talking about national championships.

Don't get me wrong. I love Cael. I thought he would learn from his mistakes get us over the top in short order. Even Cael himself admitted that they weren't "fighting for the hard points" and that he wasn't "getting the best out of everybody" and that he had to figure out what was wrong.

Source: WRESTLING: Cael Sanderson's Monday press conference transcript

Walk On
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
    maybe, maybe not. i personally don't care. much. i do know that, to me, it seems like he GAVE UP on his alma mater which housed him, fed him, schooled him, employed him.

but he never won a national championship as a coach
    and it's obvious that he's no Jim Gibbons
    oh come on....cael gave more to isu than isu could ever give to cael

Addict
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 74

I'm not real impressed with his quote in the Register article this morning. Something to the effect that it will be "easier" to win a title at Penn State.

Easier? That is what drives him? That and $$$, obviously.

This just screams of zero loyality.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 74

YOU CANNOT LET HIM GET AWAY. My guess is Cael probably felt a little disrespected along with any other problems he may have had with Pollard. The fact that once PSU made their offer and he didn't give Pollard a chance to counter-offer speaks volumes. If some wrestlers leave with him, especially if they are seniors, that is just another big red flag for our athletic department.
    He was the highest paid wrestling coach in the country and had a great wrestling room. You cannot pay him more than the sport brings in in one season. No he didnt underachieve but not winning NCAA titles at ISU goes right back to him, and that is the excuse that he uses over and over and makes me sick to hear him say.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne