Received: 340
    Given: 268

Stevie Plays Saturday ESPN2 6 PM

Published Friday
    January 19, 2007
    Hicks has healthy outlook
    BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Stevie Hicks has reunited with an old friend this week in Houston while preparing for the East-West Shrine Game.
    Himself.
    Remember the Iowa State tailback who was a 1,000-yard rusher in 2004? Remember the former Omaha Creighton Prep star who seemed destined for a big career with the Cyclones?
    Hicks has been more than happy to see him again, especially with so many influential NFL people watching his every move.
    "One scout told me I looked night-and-day from the season," Hicks said. "That made me feel real good. They know what's going on with me now."
    Hicks needs to repair his image after knee and groin injuries limited his production as an ISU junior and senior. The work started during Shrine Game practices and will continue when the 6-foot-1, 212-pounder runs for the West team Saturday night at Reliant Stadium. The 6 p.m. game will be televised by ESPN2.
    "This is as healthy as I've been," Hicks said.
    "If I didn't get an invite to this game, I don't think the scouts would really know what kind of ability I had. This game is really going to be a blessing for me."
    Hicks managed just 545 and 523 rushing yards the past two seasons. He was limited to eight games and 107 carries as a senior, and didn't play after Oct. 21 because of a meniscus tear that required surgery.
    Now he's talking about trying to run a 4.5-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine and moving into position to be drafted in April.
    "Right now they're all saying they want to see my 40 time, then the rest is history," Hicks said. "I just have to run a decent 40. They know I can play, but they want to see what my speed is like.
    "When the time comes, I'm definitely going to be able to hit a 4.5. The magic number is 4.6, but I know I can get that."
    Hicks, Jon Cornish of Kansas and Selvin Young of Texas give the Big 12 three backs on the West roster. It has made for good competition through a week of practices.
    "Everybody here can flat-out play," Hicks said. "It's not like some people can and some people can't. So you have to go hard all the time."
    Hicks already has a fallback plan should the National Football League not work out. If he goes undrafted, the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League already have told him they would match any free-agent offer by an NFL team. A distant cousin, Kenton Keith, has started to put together a solid career with Saskatchewan in the CFL.
    Back to his old self, Hicks just wants a shot. Among teams that have talked with him this week, Hicks said, Atlanta and Carolina seem to have showed a lot of interest.
    "This is a big goal of mine," he said. "This would be a real nice opportunity."

Huskers in the game: Ola Dagunduro, DT; Matt Herian, TE; Zac Taylor, QB. Hawkeyes: Drew Tate, QB. Cyclones: Stevie Hicks, RB (Omaha Creighton Prep), Austin Flynn, WR. Other Big 12 players: Brian Daniels, OL, Colorado. Jon Cornish, RB, Kansas. Brandon Archer, LB, and Quintin Echols, DL, Kansas St. Zach Latimer, LB; D'Juan Woods, WR; Larry Brown, DL, Oklahoma St. Selvin Young, RB, and Brian Robison, DL, Texas. Jarrett Hicks, WR, and Joel Filani, WR, Texas Tech. Melvin Bullitt, DB, and Justin Warren, LB, Texas A&M. C.J. Wilson, DB, Baylor. Other notables: Sean Douglas, P, Washington (Bellevue East).

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Stevie Plays Saturday ESPN2 6 PM

Tatemeister also plays. Heard that Stevie ripped off two good runs in practice. Maybe his oline is better. And 4.5 is his goal.

Last edited by Wesley; 01-19-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

I may be wrong..but from what I've heard Hicks is dreaming of a 4.5 in the 40, and only a dream. Anybody else hear the same thing? I am rooting for him, who knows?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

He will be #11 for the West
    http://www.shrinegame.com/rosters.php
    Here who helped pick the players---

John Murphy Named Director of Player Development

March 16, 2005

Jack Hart, executive director of the East-West Shrine Game, is pleased to announce that John Murphy, owner of Next Level Scouting, has joined the East-West Shrine Game staff as Director of Player Development. Murphy will join the current Player Selection Committee and focus on developing and growing the Game's contacts throughout the college football community.

Murphy's appointment to join the East-West Shrine Game player selection process will help continue the advancement of the East-West Shrine Game's contacts throughout all aspects of player selection - senior prospects, college coaches, player agents, NFL scouts and staff members. He will be part of the selection process by providing profiles and information on players for the Game, previewing the Game, reviewing daily practices for the East-West Shrine Game website, and communicating broadly with all parties. The goal is to ensure the Game itself is the biggest benefactor of his work.

"We have worked together the past three years, and each year John has become more involved in helping the East-West Shrine Game attract the top players from the top programs and conferences in America. Formally joining our staff is a natural next step," said Hart.

"It's a great opportunity to work with a terrific staff of people I have grown to know over the past three years…the East-West Shrine Game has 80 years of strong tradition behind them, and I'm pleased to be involved and anxious to help," said Murphy.

Murphy's own company, Next Level Scouting, provides evaluation and scouting reports which are received by all 32 NFL teams, as well as respected members of the agent community and national media outlets.

Murphy can be reached at 504.415.9979, john@shrinegame.com, and you can also visit his company website at www.nlscouting.com.

http://blogs.chron.com/longhorns/200...answering.html

Last edited by Wesley; 01-19-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Last edited by Wesley; 01-19-2007 at 10:52 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 325

wow, for a second i was confusing flynn w/ blythe. i was gonna say, did i miss blythe's announcement to go pro. glad i cleared that up myself...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.