Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Early entries ruining college basketball

I am upset with all of the early entries to the NBA draft. It does no good for the sport of college basketball. Yes, it may mean millions of guaranteed money. But at the same time, more years playing college ball could help them greatly. Many of those entering early are simply not ready for the NBA in so many aspects of their games. Thoughts?

September 15, 2007...one of the best days of my life!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 115

Re: Early entries ruining college basketball

There is bad advice given to some. But lets face it most of these guys have one thing in mind and that is going to the NBA. They dont care about being a student and are using college it to get noticed.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 128

Was Shawn Kemp the "original" guy that went straight to pro after high school? Was that the moment that started all this bs?

Rookie
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

I always think of Moses Malone as the first and Kevin Garnett as the one that started it in this generation.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by goclonz View Post
    I am upset with all of the early entries to the NBA draft. It does no good for the sport of college basketball. Yes, it may mean millions of guaranteed money. But at the same time, more years playing college ball could help them greatly. Many of those entering early are simply not ready for the NBA in so many aspects of their games. Thoughts?

I disagree. Having stars like Blake Griffin, Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo, Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, etc., make for better more interest in the game while they are playing.

Everyone is different. Some guys are ready to go early and others have to develop. While for my own program I'd like to have 4 year guys, having these guys that would've tried to go pro otherwise play 1 or 2 seasons of college basketball does a lot money-wise for the sport.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclo120 View Post
    I always think of Moses Malone as the first and Kevin Garnett as the one that started it in this generation.

You are correct. Many thought the TWolves were INSANE for drafting Garnett.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Quote Originally Posted by goclonz View Post

You can't blame the athletes on this one. If the option to forgo college and enter right out of high school was still available then this issue would be completely different. Since they can't then their options are over seas or in the lime-light of college basketball where they can get on TV twice a week and on national television on a regular basis. Can you blame them for going to college for free for the one year that they have to wait before going to the NBA? If anything this is the NBA's fault for creating the rule. College basketball isn't complaining because it generates interest.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

It's the people that tell the players to go who aren't ready yet. If the player is good enough to get some guy to pay him lots of money to play basketball... more power to the player and they've earned it.

It's the guys who want to get their hands into as many pockets as they can so that when one strikes it rich... they can leach off of them without doing the hard work. It's unfortunate it has to be that way... that's why in order to be successful in this world you need to find people you can trust or get lucky that you didn't get screwed by somebody you thought you could trust.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

If players were not allowed to jump into the NBA, then the dominant powers in college basketball would be even more dominant since they wouldn't have to reload every year.

I agree that many players may not be ready for the NBA. However, there may be some that are ready, and why deny them that opportunity, especially if they are a hardship case?

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,966
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 59

My personal feelings at that the NBA's policy, pretty much requiring at least one year of college is what's "ruining" the game. Just for the record, I don't really see it as "ruining" as much as it just annoys me. It's basically setting up the college game as a minor league for the NBA. I never had a problem with kids skipping college to go pro or to Leave early for the NBA. The 1 and done scenario though, because you have to, is what I find annoying. What purpose does it really serve? If the kid has no intention of going even 2 years, it pretty much puts no restrictions on their grades and courses taken. Maybe it's better than working around the system for 2 or 3 years, but I don't see it. What does one year of college, with no responsibility or worries do for you that going right to the NBA wouldn't?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

I hate the one and done rule. I think they should be able to go stright to the pro's but if they got to college they have to be there for at least 2 years. While I enjoy watching some of the 1 and done players I just think that it actually does more damage for the college game in regards to coaches on the hot seat more and the universities that are a little more dependent on big time basketball instead having football as their main revenue sport to recruit these kids so that they can make money off of them

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,592
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 166

Quote Originally Posted by hurdleisu24 View Post
    I hate the one and done rule. I think they should be able to go stright to the pro's but if they got to college they have to be there for at least 2 years. While I enjoy watching some of the 1 and done players I just think that it actually does more damage for the college game in regards to coaches on the hot seat more and the universities that are a little more dependent on big time basketball instead having football as their main revenue sport to recruit these kids so that they can make money off of them
    +1

I think the one and done rule needs to be one and done.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!