Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,201, Level: 62
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Altoona
    Posts
    3,798
    Points
    41,201
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    GMac's first 3 years...

    ...have failed and the signs are there to prove it. Signing 2 jucos in year 4 and possibly a third, tweeking your style of play in year four, recruiting a different type of player...

    ...but the good news is he realizes his style is not winning and is not afraid to change. I am so encouraged by his comments about bringing more of an uptempo style to bring in better athletes. Colvin, Gilstrap and Dendy is the type of recruiting class we need to see more of.

    I am very happy with the way the program is moving right now and it started with McDermott humbling himself, and admitting he needed to change a lot. I'm not going to bash on Licklighter, but if he doesn't realize this soon, he will be gone in one more year.


    Last edited by Mr Janny; 04-16-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: inflammatory thread title

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 104,925, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    8,968
    Points
    104,925
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,108
    Given: 1,009

    re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Those types of recruiting classes are going to need to happen every year for success as well though. Just look around the big 12, talent abundant. I've said it before I think McDermott's biggest looming problem is his 2nd half adjustments (or lack thereof.) Maybe he just doesn't have enough experience in the big leagues, but it shows.



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 242,064, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,233
    Points
    242,064
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 858
    Given: 975

    re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Craig stays we are good. Craig leaves. We are last years team again. My humble opinion.



  4. #4
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 319,856, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    21,516
    Points
    319,856
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,278
    Given: 1,992

    re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    ...and the signs are there to prove it. Signing 2 jucos in year 4 and possibly a third, tweeking your style of play in year four, recruiting a different type of player...

    ...but the good news is he realizes his style is not winning and is not afraid to change. I am so encouraged by his comments about bringing more of an uptempo style to bring in better athletes. Colvin, Gilstrap and Dendy is the type of recruiting class we need to see more of.

    I am very happy with the way the program is moving right now and it started with McDermott humbling himself, and admitting he needed to change a lot. I'm not going to bash on Licklighter, but if he doesn't realize this soon, he will be gone in one more year.

    What do you want him to do? Not get Jucos and do what hasn't been working?


    @RandomGeoFacts

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 61,433, Level: 76
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    KMAC_ATTACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    2,359
    Points
    61,433
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 10

    re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    ...and the signs are there to prove it. Signing 2 jucos in year 4 and possibly a third, tweeking your style of play in year four, recruiting a different type of player...
    To me - signing jucos is not as big of a deal as it is in football or as it was in basketball 10 years ago.

    Today, high school kids stick around 1-2 years and then jump.....whats the difference, very few superstars stick around for 4 years....

    Tyler Hansborough was rewarded by coming back - he got his ring. But to say we shouldnt recruit jucos is way off track. I think your actually signing guys that are developed and ready to contribute instead of sitting on the bench and then transferring because they realize they're not good enough to play. This can happen with JUCOS too - see Tyrone Applegate....



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 268,831, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,412
    Points
    268,831
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 0

    Re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    ...have failed and the signs are there to prove it. Signing 2 jucos in year 4 and possibly a third, tweeking your style of play in year four, recruiting a different type of player...

    ...but the good news is he realizes his style is not winning and is not afraid to change. I am so encouraged by his comments about bringing more of an uptempo style to bring in better athletes. Colvin, Gilstrap and Dendy is the type of recruiting class we need to see more of.

    I am very happy with the way the program is moving right now and it started with McDermott humbling himself, and admitting he needed to change a lot. I'm not going to bash on Licklighter, but if he doesn't realize this soon, he will be gone in one more year.
    I agree with just about everything you've said, except McD has said these things before. We all said we were happy that he was changing how he was recruiting last year and how we'd be getting out and running. Maybe next year will be different (and I very much hope it is) but I'll believe it when I see it.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,332, Level: 75
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clone5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,555
    Points
    59,332
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Craig stays we are good. Craig leaves. We are last years team again. My humble opinion.
    Craig was the team last year so how do you expect us to be as good?



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 449,256, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    24,685
    Points
    449,256
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 658
    Given: 225

    Re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    Craig was the team last year so how do you expect us to be as good?
    Upgrades in personnel. We lost 4 games that we choked big time.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,332, Level: 75
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clone5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,555
    Points
    59,332
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Upgrades in personnel. We lost 4 games that we choked big time.
    Even with an upgrade in level of talent without Craig we won't have a proven go to guy or anybody that will scare opposing teams. The only reason we were in those 4 games was because of him. When we're struggling to get points next year what do we do?



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 449,256, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    24,685
    Points
    449,256
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 658
    Given: 225

    Re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    Even with an upgrade in level of talent without Craig we won't have a proven go to guy or anybody that will scare opposing teams. The only reason we were in those 4 games was because of him. When we're struggling to get points next year what do we do?
    Reminder: Craig was the one who committed the foul in Hawaii, disappeared against SDSU, etc. We won't have to rely on Craig to get all the points. Our guards are upgrades and all can supposedly slash. That is automatically an upgrade. You don't have to have someone to scare opposing teams. Look at the women...they didn't have any great players, but if you stick 5 good basketball players on the court who can play together, you can win games.



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 412,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25,627
    Points
    412,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,980
    Given: 2,164

    Re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Reminder: Craig was the one who committed the foul in Hawaii, disappeared against SDSU, etc. We won't have to rely on Craig to get all the points. Our guards are upgrades and all can supposedly slash. That is automatically an upgrade. You don't have to have someone to scare opposing teams. Look at the women...they didn't have any great players, but if you stick 5 good basketball players on the court who can play together, you can win games.

    This.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 96,143, Level: 96
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 907
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    kg-cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,116
    Points
    96,143
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    Even with an upgrade in level of talent without Craig we won't have a proven go to guy or anybody that will scare opposing teams. The only reason we were in those 4 games was because of him. When we're struggling to get points next year what do we do?
    So you knew looking at Brackins freshman stats that he was going to have an opportunity to go pro after his sophmore year?

    Do you think our guys sit on a beach, drink beer, and smoke cigarettes all summer?


    Last edited by kg-cyclone; 04-16-2009 at 05:16 PM.

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 449,256, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    24,685
    Points
    449,256
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 658
    Given: 225

    Re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    Do you think our guys sit on a beach, drink beer and smoke cigarettes all summer?
    Lake LuVerne doesn't have a beach, and there's nothing else in Ames to do.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,332, Level: 75
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clone5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,555
    Points
    59,332
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    So you knew looking at Brackins freshman stats that he was going to have and opportunity to go pro after his sophmore year?

    Do you think our guys sit on a beach, drink beer, and smoke cigarettes all summer?
    I figured, as did most, that he would make a sizeable jump.
    Lol no but I don't think anybody will improve to be able to takeover his production.
    I guess I just don't see how we can be as good as last year without him even if guys do improve.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,332, Level: 75
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clone5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,555
    Points
    59,332
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: GMac's first 3 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Reminder: Craig was the one who committed the foul in Hawaii, disappeared against SDSU, etc. We won't have to rely on Craig to get all the points. Our guards are upgrades and all can supposedly slash. That is automatically an upgrade. You don't have to have someone to scare opposing teams. Look at the women...they didn't have any great players, but if you stick 5 good basketball players on the court who can play together, you can win games.
    Reminder: in almost every other game Craig was our team. The women had a much greater level of talent then the men's team will next year unless there are some major surprises.


    Last edited by Clone5; 04-16-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPNU
  • HOOPS: Iowa State @ Texas Tech
  • February 10, 2016
  • 08:00 PM