Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 59

Duke and Kansas

Would someone explain to there fans that it's not them that make Duke and Kansas hard places to play. Rather it's the fact they they always have 5-8 Mcdonalds All-Americans on there bench that make it hard to beat them. I think it's total crap that Allen Fieldhouse and Cameron Indoor are hard places to play. I really beleive that the players they get every year are the reason they are so good at home.

Now look at Hilton. We have a bunch of undermanned players running around with the crowd actaully helping them out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Duke and Kansas

The funny thing is, with Duke, it has gotten to the point where the opposition is now excited about playing there because of the atmosphere and TV exposure, and not necessarily intimidated. Thus, teams are going into Cameron and playing well, and sometimes winning!

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

speaking of, how is Hilton doing on that ESPNU contest? Can someone repost the link?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 86

“One day we’ll be in here celebrating a Big 12 championship,” Rhoads said. “That I can promise you.”

"I hope to coach here until I retire," Hoiberg said.

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Would someone explain to there fans that it's not them that make Duke and Kansas hard places to play. Rather it's the fact they they always have 5-8 Mcdonalds All-Americans on there bench that make it hard to beat them. I think it's total crap that Allen Fieldhouse and Cameron Indoor are hard places to play. I really beleive that the players they get every year are the reason they are so good at home.

Now look at Hilton. We have a bunch of undermanned players running around with the crowd actaully helping them out.
    I was thinking the same thing, especially when looking that the results of the ESPN poll that we now rank #1 in.

Look at the top 12, most (if not all) teams that have either won a national championship or were a final 4 team in the last few seasons, with the exception of ISU. Now, almost by default, you must have a home court advantage if your a good enough team to make the final 4. How much does the home court fans really help a teams this good. Stick ISU on the floor at these teams arenas and do they still have one of the best home courts in the nation? Maybe, i dont know, but its something I am thinking about.

I am not trying to slight our team and players, but rather make the point that these teams that are in the top 12 of this poll are LOADED with the best recruited talent in college basketball, no wonder they have such a good "home court advantage" Take away their 5 McDonald's all Americans and sub in some less talented players, and then we can see how much the home court really effects the game.

I think it is a testament to the Cyclone Fans & team when we are considered one of the best home courts in basketball espically when we are competing against the perennial powerhouses and can take them to the wire and beat them at home with "less" pedigree players, at least as perceived by the national media.

Last edited by BigDISU1; 01-19-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 124

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sport...tranker?id=648

If we finish #1 by end of 21 Jan, we may get more ESPN games on TV. Could happen.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by BigDISU1 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, especially when looking that the results of the ESPN poll that we now rank #1 in.

Look at the top 12, most (if not all) teams that have either won a national championship or were a final 4 team in the last few seasons, with the exception of ISU. Now, almost by default, you must have a home court advantage if your a good enough team to make the final 4. How much does the home court fans really help a teams this good. Stick ISU on the floor at these teams arenas and do they still have one of the best home courts in the nation? Maybe, i dont know, but its something I am thinking about.

I am not trying to slight our team and players, but rather make the point that these teams that are in the top 12 of this poll are LOADED with the best recruited talent in college basketball, no wonder they have such a good "home court advantage" Take away their 5 McDonald's all Americans and sub in some less talented players, and then we can see how much the home court really effects the game.

I think it is a testament to the Cyclone Fans & team when we are considered one of the best home courts in basketball espically when we are competing against the perennial powerhouses and can take them to the wire and beat them at home with "less" pedigree players, at least as perceived by the national media.
    Of course, being on top of this poll has NOTHING to do with Cyclone fans stuffing the ballot box, right? This is just AMERICA voicing their opinions that we have the toughest arena to play in. I'm sure Drake would agree with this poll this year...

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tube1 View Post
    Of course, being on top of this poll has NOTHING to do with Cyclone fans stuffing the ballot box, right? This is just AMERICA voicing their opinions that we have the toughest arena to play in. I'm sure Drake would agree with this poll this year...
    And so would Oral Roberts or Va. Tech, right?

I am not putting much emphasis on this poll, because these results are being affected by Cyclones stuffing the ballot box. But the fact remains we were one of the 25 locations chosen to be top home court advantage. And when you look at most the teams surrounding us on the list in the major conferences, they are traditional power teams. I myself don't consider the clones a perineal powerhouse, so to be mentioned and compared with the Dukes and Kansas and Kentucky's of college hoops is a testament to our fans and our arena.

The point I am trying to make is our homecourt advantage (to me) is stronger than a Duke or Kansas because we do more with less on the court. Give us the players that duke or Kansas traditionally get, and we pry would still hardly lose at home. Send our traditional recruited players to Kansas and duke, do they still win as many games at home as they do with their current talent?

Last edited by BigDISU1; 01-19-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 526
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post

If we finish #1 by end of 21 Jan, we may get more ESPN games on TV. Could happen.
    And in turn it could help our recruting if some recruits get to watch us on TV and think I could be on ESPN in 2 years or whatever. So this is our way in helping coach MCD recruit. Also including Women's games Hilton is way better overall in the 2 sports

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post

I think it's hilarous about "stuffing" the box..........I live in New Mexico and the "Pit" at U of New Mexico is legendary for it's Home court advantage. these guys think they have the toughest home court anywhere and brag about it (yet they suck again this year). Know one here understands "Hilton magic" until a few folks here saw the Kansas game last Saturday......they are starting to get now.........keep stuffing guys.........#1 will be a HOOT!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

If you watch the games at these arenas, you will also realize that Duke and Kansas are, generally, assisted by the zebras. Duke in particular gets about every call their way. Okie State's players were hammered going to the hoop a couple of Monday's ago with no call made. At the other end, OSU would be called for a hand check.

Walk On
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 420
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Couple days ago ESPN had a feature where six or seven of their college basketball writers ranked the five best arenas. The 22 teams for the spirit survey come from those lists. So, you can thank Fran F., as he was the only one who listed Hilton, for even getting us in the spirit survey. If you watched the Kansas game on ESPN, you'll know how much Fran loves Hilton and the Cyclone fans!

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    Couple days ago ESPN had a feature where six or seven of their college basketball writers ranked the five best arenas. The 22 teams for the spirit survey come from those lists. So, you can thank Fran F., as he was the only one who listed Hilton, for even getting us in the spirit survey. If you watched the Kansas game on ESPN, you'll know how much Fran loves Hilton and the Cyclone fans!

I really liked fran's commentary. Agaisnt kansas last saturday, he sounded like an advertisement for Hilton. I loved it