Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 0

Defensive depth

What does everyone think our 2-3 deeps will look like this fall? I've heard some rumblings about McDonough being moved to DE?

How about this....

NG: Frere, Rump, Black
    DT: Alburtis, Johnson, Walter Woods
    RE: Lyle, Laing, McDonough, Martin, Moore?
    LE: Parker, Maggitt, Moore?
    MLB: Smith, Scmidgall, Klein
    WLB: Garrin, Taufou?, Princeton Jackson
    SLB: Raven, Knott, Justin Rumple
    LCB: Leonard Johnson, McDowell, Jeremy Reeves
    RCB: Kennard Banks, Benton, Jaques Washington
    FS: Smith, Bell, O'Connell, Linder
    SS: Sims, Sandvig, Land

I included Aaron Moore on the D-line. I don't know if he'll play there, and if he does, I didn't know if he'd be a DE or DT? I also threw Reeves and Washington in there at corners, but I wasn't sure if that was truly their positions or not?

Other than that... it looks like we have some depth... I'm just not certain how good our starters really are?

The other OBVIOUS concern is the LB position where Jesse Smith, Josh Raven, Fred Garrin, and Derec Schmidgall are all seniors! Getting Taufou? was big for us. I think Klein, Knott, and Jackson will be good down the road for us, but we need to recruit the LB position big time this year.

Same goes for DE. Lyle and Parker are seniors. We HAVE to go out and recruit the DE position in a big way.

Our defense gave up like 36 pts per game last year. That is just plain awful and completely unacceptable. If we don't improve on that this year, we will be 2-10 again. If we can get that down to 26 or so... I think we can outscore a lot of teams. Our defense will not be our strength... I think we all know that. But hopefully they can be just good enough for our offense to outscore people? I think that will be the question this year.

Thoughts?

Prospect
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Defensive depth

It looks good to me. Who do you think will come in for the nickel/dime situations?

Walk On
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree that getting Taufoou was huge for us and will most likely be starting at some point this year at OLB. I don't know whether or not Klien, Knott, or Jackson will be able to come in and contribute this year, DL and LB are two positions that very rarely will a freshman come in and be in impact player, their bodies just aren't quite ready for the rigors of a D1 game, unless they are a huge stud. As for DE, I agree we need to recruit it hard, problem is, awesome DE's are prime recruits and are in high demand, hopefully we can evaluate good talent and find some surprising guys.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I think that Taufoou is going to beat out either Garrin or Raven eventually. Next year is where we are really hurt by Ferguson and Bell leaving. They are going to have to bring in another JUCO or two (hopefully for the spring) and then plan on guys like Princeton Jackson, Klein, Knott, Hamlin and Taufoou being ready to go. I still think that Knott could end up at DE though.

At DE, I really like the future of Maggitt and Laing. I assume that McDonough may move back and forth between DE and DT depending on the down and distance. They still have Taylor Martin coming in and I assume Willie Scott will be at DE.

Just my opinion, but I think that the offense is OK talent wise, but the D needs work. I'd go all HS players on O, but with the D, I'd recruit half JUCOs (hopefully some 3 year kids) to get the talent level back up. I think that they'll need some immediate help at DE, LB, NG and FS.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 38

Watching Princeton Jackson play a couple of games last year I think he is completely underrated. He may be the best athlete we have coming in in my opinion. I see him getting some minutes this year and being huge for us in the future. Think Ace Bowen with possibly better speed.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the input everyone!

I actually am surprised that our depth wasn't worse than this, however, I still don't think we have very many Big 12 caliber starters on this side of the ball. We'll be going into the season with a lot of unproven players starting on defense.

Outside of Leonard Johnson, I'm not sure how many of our defensive starters would start for any other Big 12 team? Maybe Lyle... and hopefully Sims will prove to be that kind of player? Frere could also probably start for a few Big 12 programs? But we're still a long ways away from having the talent we need IMO.

But like I said... I'm VERY excited about the capability of our offense this year. If they can put up the kinds of numbers that Rice did a year ago... our defense will only have to be average for us to get 6 or 7 wins IMO.

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    Watching Princeton Jackson play a couple of games last year I think he is completely underrated. He may be the best athlete we have coming in in my opinion. I see him getting some minutes this year and being huge for us in the future. Think Ace Bowen with possibly better speed.
    Best pickup in the entire class in my opinion.

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

according to a friend of mine, Laing sp? did not look like he will ever contibute.

Thumbs Up

I just know that our D as a whole needs to improve 10 fold..... however Jesse Smith is the one I am looking to have to step it up...Good run stopper..Pass coverage on any person on the offense is questionable.

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Jesse Smith may not be the best in pass coverage, but he gets way too much grief for poor safety play and other backers who rarely make play.

In other words, Jesse Smith is the least of our worries. I just hope as clearly our best backer that he stays healthy.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by D UP Clones View Post
    Jesse Smith may not be the best in pass coverage, but he gets way too much grief for poor safety play and other backers who rarely make play.

In other words, Jesse Smith is the least of our worries. I just hope as clearly our best backer that he stays healthy.

I dont know if hes the best. maybe the best from what had last year. but in the pass happy big 12 he becomes a liability because he cant cover any one in pass coverage. saying this i hope a newbie steps up to be the best

Starter
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 700
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I think it was the KSU game where I noticed he was reacting and moving fairly well in coverage. He was just a half step out of position on a couple big plays and Freeman was laser-precise on his throws, which made things look worse than they really were.

Thumbs Up

Jesse Smith is definitely an over achiever and I love his effort. I hope the JUCO guy will help fill the void and smith will still be a run stopper...He reminds me of Gary Plummer...I think he had a Cotstache...

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by D UP Clones View Post
    according to a friend of mine, Laing sp? did not look like he will ever contibute.
    I really hoped this wouldn't be the case, but I feared it would. He seemed like a BIG reach on Chizik's part. I don't think he played against any kind of competition whatsoever up in Canada.

I guess I'll just have to hold out hope that he can develop into something for us?

Walk On
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 440
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

In college football these days you don't see players on defensive play every snap. The first team may see about 60% of the snaps with a few exceptions both ways.