Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

Wesley Update

Wesley continues to play well, and through four Big 12 games he is averaging 13.25 ppg and 12.25 rpg. Hes also shooting 42% from the floor which is a pretty big decrease to his non-conference percentage. A part of this may be his terrible shooting from three (hes 4-17 or 23.5%) and although he can make that shot, I think his real strength is crashing the boards to get easy buckets and getting post up moves. When Wesley is shooting threes hes taking himself out of position to rebound and thats obviously where his real strength lies (were talking 12.25 rpg here people!). Basically, this is my call to Wes to stop taking so many three shots. Hes shot 50 shots in the last 4 games and 17 of them have been from three. Play to your strengths buddy.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 125

Re: Wesley Update

It's going to fun to watch Gmac turn this kid into a superstar over the next couple of years.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    A part of this may be his terrible shooting from three (hes 4-17 or 23.5%) and although he can make that shot, I think his real strength is crashing the boards to get easy buckets and getting post up moves. When Wesley is shooting threes hes taking himself out of position to rebound and thats obviously where his real strength lies (were talking 12.25 rpg here people!). Basically, this is my call to Wes to stop taking so many three shots. Hes shot 50 shots in the last 4 games and 17 of them have been from three. Play to your strengths buddy.
    Good observation!! IMO, as I've posted in another thread, the team as a whole is taking too many 3-pt shots.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Anyone who watched the game on TV last night saw this but, last night Wesley tied the ISU record for most double-double's by a freshman with 10. Just thinking, he's only halfway through the season and already in the record books!

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

He's got one of the smoother shots from behind the arc I believe. I don't want him to stop shooting them, but we all can wish he makes more of them, right? Wesley's shots all season have been methodical and well-timed. He can improve, but there is no reason to fix what isn't broke.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64

He's shooting 30% from beyond the arc! I can't see how him continuing to shoot a third of his shots from distance is in the best interests of him and the team.

I'll follow it up by pointing out that since Jiri put his thinking cap on and started doing what McD asked him to do in the NDSU game... he's shooting 50% from the floor. Is it a coincidence? I don't think so.

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 276

A lot of times he takes better shots from 3 point range then our guards.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56

He's shooting 30% from beyond the arc! I can't see how him continuing to shoot a third of his shots from distance is in the best interests of him and the team.

I'll follow it up by pointing out that since Jiri put his thinking cap on and started doing what McD asked him to do in the NDSU game... he's shooting 50% from the floor. Is it a coincidence? I don't think so.
    Yes, but 30% from three-point range is the equivalent of nearly 50% from two-point range. Actually, I wish they'd run more set plays for Corey Johnson to shoot the three. I can't remember the last time he missed one.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,649
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 84

30% from behind the arc is actually a very acceptable percentage. Anyone who shoots as much as he does and is shooting that behind the arc is acceptable. 30-35% is pretty standard for most shooters.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 10

I was a bit perplexed as to why CJ didnt see more PT in the second half when he basically kept us in the game in the first half. I love GMac but I thought the last two games he has made some questionable calls regarding personnel. I though Dunson should have been in the game more in OT against KU as well.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 242

Guards need to shoot less and centers and forwards need to do more shooting.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 80

I agree, I was thinking that if only the rest of our team had played as hard as CJ did last night we would have had a chance. Oh well, I'm sure there was a perfectly good reason he wasn't in...if not I would think he'd have been in there instead of Jessan (what has he really done in for us lately??).

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    Yes, but 30% from three-point range is the equivalent of nearly 50% from two-point range.
    In last night's game, WJ was 4-7 (57%) on 2-ptrs and 2-6 (33%) on 3-ptrs. WJ would have had to shoot around 38% on 3-ptrs to be as productive as he was on 2-ptrs. As he was shooting last night, the team would have been better off for WJ to shoot more 2-ptrs. In addition, a player stands a much better chance of getting fouled when shooting inside, which is another benefit to team. Also, there's a better likelihood of getting an offensive rebound and a putback when playing inside.

The closer one is to the basket, the easier the shots are to make. Good inside players can make 60-70% (or even better) of their shots close to the basket. That player would have to be hitting nearly 50% on 3-ptrs to be as productive. CJ was 4-4 on 2-ptrs last night. If one has the talent to work around the basket and can score down there, that player will be much more productive playing inside than hanging out on the permiter and hoisting 3-ptrs.

If you look at the NCAA tourney over the past few years, there have been a couple of 3-bomber teams that have done well, but I believe their 3-ptr % was upwards of 40% (which is equivalent to shooting about 60% from 2-pt land). Gawdy %'s like that is the only way the 3-bomber strategy works, because the 3-bomber strategy lacks the advantages of the post game that I mentioned above.

Bottom line IMO...WJ, until he's shooting 40% on 3-ptrs, will benefit the team much more by working inside. The team as a whole will benefit much more by trying to work the ball to the hoop and getting closer jumpshots.

Anothing thing to keep in mind...missed shots are nothing more than turnovers. Hitting 30% from 3-pt land means that said player will be turning the ball over 7 out of every 10 times he shoots a 3-ptr. I don't like the sound of that...

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Good guards shoot 40% from the three point line. 30% out of WJ isn't that bad, especially taking into account he gets rocked around down low half the game,

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I'm not sure if anybody else has noticed this but I sure have. Watch Wes before he shoots it. If he shoots off the dribble he is money and if he shoots off the pass he is broke. I picked this up the 4th game of the year and have told many fans who have now noticed the same thing.

Also Bryce I am not to sure what you mean when you say you want to see WJ do more of his post moves. When has he ever had post moves? If he does post up it is 15 feet away from the basket. He then faces the defender up, takes a dribble, jumps over the guy, and knocks the jumper down. No doubt the guy is and will be a star. There are a couple rough edges that need to get smoothed out but there is no doubt the sky is the limit for him. He even has that look in his eyes that he wants to win