Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 203

Do you realize how bad it

would get around Iowa, Iowa State, and UNI if the Boosters were not allowed to write of 80% of there contributions. In Tom Witoski's new article in the regsiter today Sen Grassley is looking into the situation. It could literally kill Iowa, Iowa State and UNI if boosters were not allowed to donate. I am not saying they would not have a football program but I guarentee we would get our azzes handed to us in the future. THis goes to Iowa also. My father helped set precadence in this case in 1998. Frank Broyles had to help come to the rescue. I think you all need to e-mail Charles Grassley and let him know you disapprove for the health of Sports in the state of Iowa.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

Re: Do you realize how bad it

I would trust Grassley more if he wasn't the guy sponsoring a bill last year that was basically a huge gouge job to the American worker. I think both Harkin and Grassley are a little too comfortable in their positions and I vote against both of them every chance I get.

"We need to make sure that taxpayers are not being played for a sucker by a tax exemption that they are paying for."
    Thanks for looking out for me Chuck.

"It is a back-door way for the federal government to be subsidizing college athletics," Baird said. "If you got rid of the charitable donations, it would make the existing price of attending a game more expensive for the purchaser because he would not be getting a discount."
    Basically, if you have a problem with ticket prices now, I'd let your congressmen know because we'll really be taking it if this crap gets through.

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 748
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 0

First off, this is a national thing. If it happens to Iowa, Iowa State, and UNI then it happens to everyone around the country.

Secondly, you could still donate, but you couldn't deduct it from your taxes. It would be rough for the first couple of years, but coaches salaries and such would adjust back to normal. So basically the athletic departments would recieve around 25% less than before.

I would hope that some kind of compromise is reached. I agree with sen. Grassley that this is getting out of control in many places. The problem is that you will just end up with a bigger disparady between the have and the have nots in college athletics. Texas and Ohio State won't feel a huge pinch because they have more money than they know what to do with.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 24

This would be really bad for schools like ISU who only get a few million per year from donors. I take a $400 charitable contribution on my taxes, which is about $150 back in my pocket when all is said and done. I know this is one of the things that pushed me to the cardinal club, I justified it because the $500 was only costing me $350.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Rookie
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 8

This would not be as big a concern if you were Nebraska or Okie State, two schools that just last year had major renovations done to their football facilities. We on the other hand have a 150 million dollar plan on the table to upgrade our facilities. To suspend tax exemption for athletics would hurt us and not them.

This whole arms race though is getting beyond stupid. T Boone Pickens at Okie State gave 120 million dollars by himself to upgrade their football facilities. It's his money, he can do what he wants with it but isn't this getting to be a stretch?

:) Want the stadium full? Bring a friend!