Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 564
    Given: 356

Youth Football League in West Des Moines/ISU Coaches Clinic Info

For the past couple years I’ve coached in a youth football league called the West Des Moines ‘Lil Pro Youth Football League (WDMLYPFL). To learn more about the league if you’re interested in coaching or have a 3rd-7th grade child that would like to play, visit www.wdmlpyfl.com. Practices usually start around the 3rd week of August.

It is a full contact league and the youth are issued NFL licensed equipment. I think the cost for each youth is about $160-180, or that’ what it was the last I checked. All coaches are volunteer with a significant number being the parents of their youth. The league will honor your requests should you want to be a coach on your youth’s team. A few of the coaches that have/are coaching in the league are Kevin Lazard (former ISU player), Melvin Foster (former Iowa linebacker, Super Bowl champ with Dallas) just to name a few.

The reason for my post is I am in search of coaches that would be interested in coaching with me – specifically someone with offensive/defensive line knowledge. I’ll likely be assigned my own team this coming fall and this is an area where I’m lacking “expertise”. The deadline for registration for coaches and players is April 15th. If you’re interested, please view the WDMLPYFL’s website and post here or contact me via PM.

About the only requirement for league coaches is to attend some sort of annual education that is recognized by the league. This would be about any of the coaching clinics in the area. Last year I know they accepted were the Drake or ISU clinics to name two. I attended both and the ISU clinic was fantastic. This is open to any coaches of course and is mostly attended my high school coaches. Some of the clinics are put on by a couple of the area HS coaches, Gary Swenson was there last year as well as the Waukee and Harlan coaches to name a couple. And of course almost every ISU coaching staff member gave a clinic. It was a 1 day clinic last year. It’s a great way to get some fantastic knowledge as well as observe a couple ISU practices as well as a scrimmage from the field of JTS.

This year’s clinic is scheduled for March 29-31. If you’re interested, contact Betty Kepley at ISU. Her e-mail is bkepley@iastate.edu and phone is 515-294-6721. I think the cost is $40 or $50 and that includes some damn good meals.

I know this post seems like a sales pitch, I’m really just after a coach or two that would love to work with 6th or 7th graders this fall. But I wanted to include all the info in the event it would benefit someone.

Thanks!

Last edited by ISUFan22; 01-19-2007 at 12:33 PM.