Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 0
    I posted this on CR also, but just wanted to say what the heck the Big 12 is going to do about our TV package. (Probably nothing since the south rules it) The big 10 is getting their own fricking channel? What up with that?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    I really hoped that we could move into the Big 10's old slot and use their same ESPN deal, but it looks like the ACC already claimed that one. God I would have loved seeing all those Big 12 games. It really is a shame the Big 12 doesn't have a better package.

Rookie
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    I hope at some point 7 of the smaller Big XII schools band together and level the playing field with the big schools such as Texas, OU, and Texas A&M. What is Texas Tech's situation. Are they a little brother to Texas and A&M?

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1
    It will be interesting to see the details if the Big 10 starts its own channel. The big benefit I'm sure is they cut out the middle-man ESPN. I would think the downside would be coverage. Even if they could get on every cable system and dish company, ESPN is a pretty strong brand and placement on the TV dial.

I would think in FB they would have TV games from 11am to 10pm on Saturdays.

However, in men's basketball what do they do? Do they split conference games between Tues/Wed & Sat? I'm sure if they have their own channel they will need content, so are games no longer televised on local broadcast channels in DSM, CR & Quad Cities?

One area that could be great is the flexibility it would provide from school-to-school and use of the internet to broadcast games. I also wonder if they don't explore more pay-per-view.

As far as the Big 12 goes. Face the facts, to get a great TV contract a conference needs to offer households. No matter how you shake it out- the Big 12 doesn't have a lot of large population centers.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    We have some big games this year. Most should be broadcasted in your area. Most should be in mine, or I'll go to the game..Either way i'll be happy.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    From what I've heard this won't affect football too much. It will move those bad games off of ESPN and ABC, but the main games will still be on. (Maybe we'll only see 4 conference games a week now instead of all 5). I would start looking more at CBS, Fox, and NBC.

FOX wouldn't be too bad if they were to do more games. FSN shows 1 occasionally and FOX shows 1 or 2 per week. If we can convince them to bump those numbers up to showing 4-5 games a week that would be wonderful. Also, they have the NFL so I wonder how much more they want to show.

NBC only shows ND games now and that leaves quite a bit of time to put games on. Not to mention their other channels (such as USA) to show non marquee games.

CBS has the SEC now. They seem to fill most of their time and with the NFL, they probably don't want to spend more money.

My money is on talking to NBC. They do a good job with the Olympics so they have the resources to produce the games well. And if they can get Bob Costas to do the sudio bit then that should add some credibility to the whole thing.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,077
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 15
    Actually this past year, FOX as a network aired only one game. I believe it was the Cotton Bowl? could be wrong on which bowl it was, but all their other games they threw to FSN. Any other game that was on FOX was because the local channel chose to pick up a game from ESPN+.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349
    Hope the Big Ten luck with their channel. I am bored with Indiana or Purdue playing their big boys. Hawkeyes and NW are most intersting teams. Maybe they will play some Sunday games.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    The big ten, from the looks of it, didnt move out of their old slot with ESPN and ABC. It improved it.

It looks like the Big Ten games that were regionally broadcast on ABC, will now be nationally broadcast, as outside of the region that is set to get the game, ESPN and ESPN2 are going to pick that game up for the rest of the nation.

The rich get richer, it looks like.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 41
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(youtsey123 &#064; Jun 21 2006, 12&#58;46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    The rich get richer, it looks like.

[/b][/quote]

Nah, more like the overrated get more overrated.

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    I heard a Big 10 offical on WCCO in MSP last week saying the channel would show just about all

sports through the year. there would be live programing like classes or maybe a concert or speaker

that is at one of the schools in the conference. Each school will have a certain amount of air time

that they can show whatever they want.

He didn&#39;t say if it would be a 24-7-365 thing. He also said the Mountain West Conference or

someone that direction is doing this on a regional basis now. The Big 10 channel , they hope ,

will be nation wide.