Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Recruiting......Rhoads era

We cannot really base a lot off of last years recruiting class, other then the guys that Coach Rhoads and his staff brought on board after their hiring.

One thing i'm noticing is an emphasis on quality lineman. If we continue through on several of these recruits we will be very happy in the future. i think Coach Rhoads looks at EIU as an example, if you have strong lines both offensive and defensive, the success of your team will follow.

Based on early potential recruits and offers extended, this staff is targeting OL prospects and want to get a solid OL class this year.

Currently we've offered:
    Brandon Scherff - Iowa
    Will be top 10 player in state of Iowa - probably 3* maybe 4* recruit.
    Offers from ISU, EIU, Missouri and Nebraska

James Kohler - Ames, Iowa
    Will be top 10 player in state of Iowa - probably 3* recruit.
    Offers from ISU, EIU, KSU, Missouri, Stanford

Micheal Dennis - Ohio (love the fact that were recruiting Ohio, a lot of good players are there for the taking after Ohio State selects which 4-5* prospects they want!!!).
    2010 Michael Dennis Carey TEDE89 Jr

Adam Shead - Texas
    Adam Shead - College Football Recruiting 2010 - ESPN

Joe McNamara - Florida
    Writeup on McNamara: Joe McNamara, OL, 6-2, 275, Cypress Bay: After making the move from Chaminade-Madonna after his freshman year, all this quality prospect did was lead one of the best lines in the state the past two years. Great feet and very smart. A tremendous wrestler as well.

I love the emphasis on the OL to establish a strong recruiting class. To recruit good OL and DL is solidifying your team from the down and dirty to the glamourous positions. Putting the emphasis on getting quality OL kids is setting the foundation blocks for good things in the future. Plus, having depth at the OL will also provide for competition and replacements should someone get injured - which happens a lot for the guys in the trenches!!!!

Keep up the good work Coach Rhoads and Coach Bleil, lets get that first commit.....how bout James Kohler......

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 159

Re: Recruiting......Rhoads era

Couldn't agree more. Good football teams have great line play on both sides of the ball. Something we have been lacking for a while.

Go Cyclones!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 337

I believe that coach Paul Rhoads will keep going heavy with linemen because our new coach is going to be very sound fundamentally aka emphasize offense and defence line play....

Recruiting great linemen usually leads to a great running game regardless of formation used by the offence...The last 3 years our running game has just killed any chance to win conference games, when you look at Texas, Oklahoma and KU, they all have great running games and that takes the heat off of the qb and the passing game!!!

I also look for our defence to be much improved over the goober and gomer years...

defense what defense gomer sez to goober...I dont know gomer I have yet to see us stop anybody sez goober....

I'm so glad that gomer and goober are gone I am going out to the golf course and have a grate time....

The key to this year is winning ALL the non conference games and then stealing 3 conference games!!!

Let me go on the record...I have complete confidence in coach paul rhoads!!!!!

Recruit
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

everyone you talk too seems to feel the same about the NEW direction this team is heading...looking forward to watching real football again

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 664
    Given: 376

I don't know what, if anything, this says... coaches always need to recruit Offensive Lineman in every class. For this class, that is especially true, as our past two recruiting classes have been very, very light on high school offensive linemen. I like that we are after alot of them early and they appear to be quality players.

We really need to recruit 5 or 6 high school OL in this class to refill the pipeline, as this season we will have alot of Soph OL, but very few Redshirt Freshman and True Freshman. OL and then all positions on Defense (especially front 7) will be the most important positions for this class, based on need.

Rookie
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 9

I also agree that lines on both sides of the ball have an extreme domino effect on the rest of the team.

-Secondary problems? Tough to do well in the secondary when there's NO pressure on the QB from the D-line.
    -Linebackers struggling? If the O-line can easily handle your D-line, you allow more availability for O-line to block down field

-No running game? Don't think I need to explain that one.
    -Passing game struggling? Because you don't have a legit running threat because your O-line struggles.

Without a good foundation on the lines, even the best recruits and talent don't get a fair chance to succeed at the skill positions.

SOUTH CY'DERS!!!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 833
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    We cannot really base a lot off of last years recruiting class, other then the guys that Coach Rhoads and his staff brought on board after their hiring.

One thing i'm noticing is an emphasis on quality lineman. If we continue through on several of these recruits we will be very happy in the future. i think Coach Rhoads looks at EIU as an example, if you have strong lines both offensive and defensive, the success of your team will follow.

Based on early potential recruits and offers extended, this staff is targeting OL prospects and want to get a solid OL class this year.

Currently we've offered:
    Brandon Scherff - Iowa
    Will be top 10 player in state of Iowa - probably 3* maybe 4* recruit.
    Offers from ISU, EIU, Missouri and Nebraska

James Kohler - Ames, Iowa
    Will be top 10 player in state of Iowa - probably 3* recruit.
    Offers from ISU, EIU, KSU, Missouri, Stanford

Micheal Dennis - Ohio (love the fact that were recruiting Ohio, a lot of good players are there for the taking after Ohio State selects which 4-5* prospects they want!!!).
    2010 Michael Dennis Carey TEDE89 Jr

Adam Shead - Texas
    Adam Shead - College Football Recruiting 2010 - ESPN

Joe McNamara - Florida
    Writeup on McNamara: Joe McNamara, OL, 6-2, 275, Cypress Bay: After making the move from Chaminade-Madonna after his freshman year, all this quality prospect did was lead one of the best lines in the state the past two years. Great feet and very smart. A tremendous wrestler as well.

I love the emphasis on the OL to establish a strong recruiting class. To recruit good OL and DL is solidifying your team from the down and dirty to the glamourous positions. Putting the emphasis on getting quality OL kids is setting the foundation blocks for good things in the future. Plus, having depth at the OL will also provide for competition and replacements should someone get injured - which happens a lot for the guys in the trenches!!!!

Keep up the good work Coach Rhoads and Coach Bleil, lets get that first commit.....how bout James Kohler......
    He's targeting lots of linemen because we are going to be running out of them by the time this class is ready to play. We only got two high school OLs last year and maybe only one depending on where Moore ends up, and three the year before, one of whom is injured (Tuftee) and may or may not play again. There are only 4 OLs left in the program from the huge class of 8 OLs in 2007 and one of those is a juco (Alvarez).

Worst case scenario is we have 7 OLs from these three classes. Best case scenario is we have 9. And that's not to say all of them will still be here a couple of years from now when the guys in this current class are ready to play.

If you went into this recruiting season not knowing we would be targeting lots of OLs, you just weren't paying attention.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Until these kids hit the field and prove it recruiting hype is just that: only hype. I can remember the same kind of hype around Chizik's recruits about how we were getting more size and speed and all it got us was a 5-19 record in 2 seasons.

Go Cubs Go!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 619

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Until these kids hit the field and prove it recruiting hype is just that: only hype. I can remember the same kind of hype around Chizik's recruits about how we were getting more size and speed and all it got us was a 5-19 record in 2 seasons.
    To get this out of the way, Chizik sucks.

Now, to be fair towards Chizik, he mostly dealt with McCarney's players. His recruits mostly haven't had the chance to work their way through the system yet. At oldest his earliest recruits would be juniors right now, in some cases sophomores, redshirt sophomores, or redshirt freshmen. As much as I dislike Chizik, I'm not sure it's necessarily fair to be criticizing him for his recruiting when they're only barely coming into age...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 81

Chizik went with something like four (?) juco linemen his first class because he knew he'd need an improved line to be competitive. This is nothing new, PR is thinking the same thing. What someone needs to figure out is how to be competitive in our league without outstanding line play. Pretty tough challenge...

Recruit
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I thought I read somewhere that Brandon Scherff was being recruited by ISU as a D-lineman and everyone else was offering him to be OL.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

Games are won from tackle to tackle. Simple as that.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 169

Quote Originally Posted by Chizit View Post
    Games are won from tackle to tackle. Simple as that.
    ^^^^^^ This

I think Rhoads and his staff's first recruiting victory was keeping almost everyone from last year (outside of graduating seniors obvs.) I think the guys feel a sense of being cheated by Chizik and want nothing more to prove him wrong and show they can win in the big 12.

Line play affects everything on down the line in the game. If you don't have blocking nothing you are trying to set up on O is going to work, on D if you have no pressure and are never in the backfield then the LB's and DB's are put on an island. It just doesn't work the other way around consistently enough. You can have 4 of the best DB's in the world, but they aren't going to cause coverage sacks all game. You can have Walter Payton in the backfield, but even he can make 11 guys miss.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    To get this out of the way, Chizik sucks.

Now, to be fair towards Chizik, he mostly dealt with McCarney's players. His recruits mostly haven't had the chance to work their way through the system yet. At oldest his earliest recruits would be juniors right now, in some cases sophomores, redshirt sophomores, or redshirt freshmen. As much as I dislike Chizik, I'm not sure it's necessarily fair to be criticizing him for his recruiting when they're only barely coming into age...
    I'd love to find all these posts by people over the past 2 years about what a great coach and recruiter GC was and then see how many of them are writing posts just like this. Look, even in a crappy season at least Mac could get you 4 wins and beat UNI and other various MAC teams we played which Chiz could not. There is no doubt now Chiz was not what Clone fans thought he would be but to pin some of that on Mac is a little unfair too because some of our top performers over those poor seasons were his guys that some here praised their names (Meyer, Blythe, Bowen, etc.)

Point is every year people get all excited about our recruiting classes whether it was Mac's or Gene's or now Rhoad's. Some of Mac's "weaker" classes produced some diamonds in the rough while some of his top classes bombed and I'm sure the same will happen with Rhoads too because that's just how it's always going to be when you recruit to Iowa State. This is why I don't get excited about recruiting until we see them on the field. Perfect example: Remember all the hype around Sed Johnson last year because he was a 4 star? I hope he pans out but you can't say many here weren't a little disappointed after all the high expectations some had of him.

Go Cubs Go!

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 833
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I'd love to find all these posts by people over the past 2 years about what a great coach and recruiter GC was and then see how many of them are writing posts just like this. Look, even in a crappy season at least Mac could get you 4 wins and beat UNI and other various MAC teams we played which Chiz could not. There is no doubt now Chiz was not what Clone fans thought he would be but to pin some of that on Mac is a little unfair too because some of our top performers over those poor seasons were his guys that some here praised their names (Meyer, Blythe, Bowen, etc.)

Point is every year people get all excited about our recruiting classes whether it was Mac's or Gene's or now Rhoad's. Some of Mac's "weaker" classes produced some diamonds in the rough while some of his top classes bombed and I'm sure the same will happen with Rhoads too because that's just how it's always going to be when you recruit to Iowa State. This is why I don't get excited about recruiting until we see them on the field. Perfect example: Remember all the hype around Sed Johnson last year because he was a 4 star? I hope he pans out but you can't say many here weren't a little disappointed after all the high expectations some had of him.
    I guess I don't see what's wrong about getting excited by recruiting classes, no matter who recruited them.