Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It's our turn

Regarding the season ticket plan and the Iowa game, it seems to me that it sort of like receiving your credit card statement in the mail. Nearly all of us on this and other Cyclone message boards claim to want 'national' programs with coaches and facilities to match. Well, we have to pay for those.

I was one of the loudest proponents of replacing Dan McCarney. I also saw the necessity of replacing Wayne Morgan. It has been a dream of mine since I became a Cyclone fan to see the football stadium bowled in. Well, all of those things cost money and renewing my season tickets is just one small way that I can contribute to making those things happen. I don't enjoy spending extra money on anything, but ISU athletics is my major hobby.

The bottom line is that we have an AD who is true to his word. He said that mediocrity is unacceptable at ISU and WM and DM now know that he meant what he said. Now it is our turn as fans. We can post all day on message boards, call radio stations, or bombard our AD with emails and suggestions. At the end of the day, we the fans need to support our programs. JP is asking all of us to step up to the plate via purchasing season tickets for FB. We tried the old model under BVD and DM. I am glad we are no longer under that regime. JP will either go down as the greatest AD in ISU history or the biggest failure. I am glad that we have an AD who is willing to put himself in the line of fire and take chances in order to make ISU better.

Last edited by URBCLONE; 01-17-2007 at 11:03 AM.
    URBCLONE

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: It's our turn

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    Regarding the season ticket plan and the Iowa game, it seems to me that it sort of like receiving your credit card statement in the mail. Nearly all of us on this and other Cyclone message boards claim to want 'national' programs with coaches and facilities to match. Well, we have to pay for those.

I was one of the loudest proponents of replacing Dan McCarney. I also saw the necessity of replacing Wayne Morgan. It has been a dream of mine since I became a Cyclone fan to see the football stadium bowled in. Well, all of those things cost money and renewing my season tickets is just one small way that I can contribute to making those things happen. I don't enjoy spending extra money on anything, but ISU athletics is my major hobby.

The bottom line is that we have an AD who is true to his word. He said that mediocrity is unacceptable at ISU and WM and DM now know that he meant what he said. Now it is our turn as fans. We can post all day on message boards, call radio stations, or bombard our AD with emails and suggestions. At the end of the day, we the fans need to support our programs. JP is asking all of us to step up to the plate via purchasing season tickets for FB. We tried the old model under BVD and DM. I am glad we are no longer under that regime. JP will either go down as the greatest AD in ISU history or the biggest failure. I am glad that we have an AD who is willing to put himself in the line of fire and take chances in order to make ISU better.
    I disagree with your characterization of Pollard. He may go down as the greatest AD in ISU history but if he fails that will be on us, not him.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91

I disagree with your characterization of Pollard. He may go down as the greatest AD in ISU history but if he fails that will be on us, not him.
    Really? What if he gets all of his facilities built and Chizik ends up being a god-awful head coach? I don't think that will happen, but it's not like if we pump cash into the athletic department it's a home run and all will be well. Look at Alabama.

Some people really put Pollard on a pedestal and think he can do no wrong.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by CyFarmer View Post
    If it fails, it's on us, Jamie, Gene, his staff and the players.

Everyone shares both success and failure.

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Really? What if he gets all of his facilities built and Chizik ends up being a god-awful head coach? I don't think that will happen, but it's not like if we pump cash into the athletic department it's a home run and all will be well. Look at Alabama.

Umm...What has he done wrong so far?

Even if Chizik doesn't perform, most of us can agree that Jamie picked the best candidate out there. It would be a different story if Brian Kelly or some other no-namer was hired and didn't get results.

Jamie did his job so I don't see why people are questioning him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 627
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 137

I AM one of those "Put Pollard On A Pedestal" fans! My first football coach was Clay Stapleton and the Single Wing Offense with Dwight Nichols and Dave Hoppmann at Tailback. In retrospect re Athletic Directors I would say most were just bad, and didnt want to take the football program to the next level of winning conference championships!

At least with Jamie Pollard we may actually get to the next level if we are willing to foot the bill aka come up with the money or put the money where our mouths are!

The reason that Texas and Oklahoma win more championships is simple, both schools have the money to buy the best coaches in the country and the money to build the best athletic facilities in the country.

If you want to run with the big boys you are going to have to foot the bill and put the money where your mouth is, its just that simple guys.

There's a new sheriff in town and he's taking no prisioners. I for one am more than ready for the next level and being second fiddle to eiu!!!

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Well up to this point, JP has shown that he will get rid of horrible and merely bad coaches. So I assume if Chizik proves to be a failed experiment, he will be shown the door also.

Isn't it nice to have expectations??? They actually lead to results, instead of us being told that this is the best we can hope for like the last 12 years.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 70

It is put up or shut up time for ISU fans. There are many who sit back and complain about why we can't do this, and why we can't do that. The time to do something is NOW!!! Show your support for the next level!

Go Cyclones!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    I AM one of those "Put Pollard On A Pedestal" fans! My first football coach was Clay Stapleton and the Single Wing Offense with Dwight Nichols and Dave Hoppmann at Tailback. In retrospect re Athletic Directors I would say most were just bad, and didnt want to take the football program to the next level of winning conference championships!
    Gene Smith was not bad... he took the program to the next level...It may not have been to conference championships, but I think a big 12 championship is at least 10 years away if not 20.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

It is definitely possible that Chizik fails. He'll get a minimum of 3 to 5 years to prove himself as a head coach. During that time, we'll be traveling down the path of improving our facilities. Improvements we can use to sell the next coach on coming to Ames.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,083
    Given: 575

Great analogy. I don't believe, though, that Pollard has a chance of going down as the worst AD. Being afraid to fail leads to failure, being willing to fail leads to success. We are all wanting Iowa State on the college football map. We have an AD who will try everything to do that. And I agree with the other posts, Iowa State has all the ingredients except the money, and that is on us as fans.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 475
    Given: 325

I'm dying for 10 years from now when Pollard goes to the Regents to ask for more money to expand/renovate the Jack b/c 55,000 isn't big enough to hold all the Cyclone fans (and hopefull championship banners)

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

man, lets not have a fear of success. look at it like this. you are investing in the future of isu athletics, of which you get in on the ground floor. each person here that buys a ticket is contributing to building the foundation of success. RISK IS DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL TO REWARD. great things are accomplished by people who do things that nobody else thinks they can do.

when this all works out, 20 years from now the only way your kids are going to isu games is because their parents had the foresight to be season ticket holders, because there is a waiting list of people who want isu football season tickets. make it happen.

Last edited by dsouth; 01-17-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

couldn't agree more with URBCLONE! Everybody wants to be the best but doesn't want to spend anything extra to get it. Great post!

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I live in the Quad Cities and we can't get games on TV OR radio.
    Mr. Pollard is got to do something for ISu fans in areas like ours before i give a dime or buy a season ticket.

It is a 3hr. drive to Ames and 3 hrs. back or a motel room ,plus gas,parking AND an outragous ticket price!

I use to do what I could to get to 1 or 2 game each fall..No more at the new prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even the Iowa fans laugh at the lack of coverage we get in the QC.