Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6
    Well... I just clicked the CN link and I see Bates is listed as 3 stars. Last time I was there he was listed as a 1 (assuming he wasn't ranked yet). Either way... I was thinking he was a huge recruit and was roughly 4 stars. Does anybody know a lot about him think that 3 stars is acurate? Just curious

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 0
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbronco7sc &#064; Jun 20 2006, 05&#58;09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Well... I just clicked the CN link and I see Bates is listed as 3 stars. Last time I was there he was listed as a 1 (assuming he wasn&#39;t ranked yet). Either way... I was thinking he was a huge recruit and was roughly 4 stars. Does anybody know a lot about him think that 3 stars is acurate? Just curious [/b][/quote]

Austen Arnaud was initially a top 150 recruit, and ended up at 2 stars from Scout, so I don&#39;t think you can place too much emphasis on star rankings. They shouldn&#39;t be totally disregarded, but scout usually underrates players, rivals overrates a lot of players, so I usually consider them somewhere in between. I think 3 sounds like it&#39;s about right because Arnaud was a four (I believe) prior to the star droppage (for no discernable reason) and it sounds like most people consider Arnaud a bit better at this point than Bates. But Bates is very good, is an excellent ambassador for ISU to other recruits, and probably has a great chance to compete with Arnaud for the QB spot when Meyer leaves.

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 990
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2
    Is there any truth to the rumor that when a four star goes to ISU, then the services tend to drop him down a star or two?

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    I dont know about dropping of the stars, but rivals has his interested schools as arizona st, notre dame, nebraska and usc. if he is good enough to want to play for those school and actually lists them, ill take him on my team anyday, regardless of the popularity contest from the recruiting services.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zdorr40 &#064; Jun 20 2006, 05&#58;40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Is there any truth to the rumor that when a four star goes to ISU, then the services tend to drop him down a star or two? [/b][/quote]

It tends to get a little overblown, but it happens a little bit. Arnaud is an excellent example of this, as he was a 3 star recruit last year on Scout, had a better senior season, and dropped a star to a 2 star. This is somewhat due to the fact that he committed early, cutting off a lot of offers and press he would have gotten had he kept his recruiting open for a while, but him committing to ISU has something to do with it.

If USC or Notre Dame evaluates a kid and offers him, that will make that prospect&#39;s star rating go up many times. Look at Bernstine. He&#39;s gone from a top player in Iowa, to the best player in the state, to the best player at the Scout combine in IC, to being recruited all over the nation and his star rating is skyrocketing up to four or five stars. If he would have accepted an early invitation to ISU as opposed to gaining interest from Notre Dame, would this be happening?