Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 478

If I was AD.......

How about this scenario. I don't know what the mix is for season tickets but lets assume it's something like this.

30K tickets sold
    20,000 @ $260 = 5.2 million
    10,000 @ $99 = 990,000

Total 6.2 million

2007 (pollard plan)
    20,000 @ $350 = 7 million
    15,000 @ $150 = 2.25 million

Total 9.25 million

2007 (my plan)

40,000 @ $200 = 8 million
    10,000 @ $150 = 1.5 million

Total 9.5 million

I think if you offered good tickets at $200 and marketed the heck out of them you would fill every seat for every game. You would get a bunch of new fans and then after a successful season you could gradually raise ticket prices because there would be a demand for the product. You would also see increases in concessions, parking, merchandise, etc.

You would also see more donations to the Cyclone and Gridiron clubs. I know that I've donated to the Cyclone Club for the last 10 years but this year I won't because of the increase in ticket/parking prices.

I think our problem is that we need a bigger fan base and raising ticket prices during down times doesn't seem to be the best way to do this. I think offering cheap tickets is the best way to get new fans in the door and this is evident by the $99 tickets last year.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with Pollard's plan but what is wrong with mine? Let the beatings begin..

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: If I was AD.......

The only thing wrong with your plan is - you're not the AD, nor (I'm assuming) do you work for him.

It's not a bad plan, though.

Rookie
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If I were AD I would stop going on Marty and Miller, although Pollard did show how foolish they are.

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I agree completely. Well, not completely.

Honestly, the only issue I have with the hike in ticket prices is that at 33%, I think he's running off too many people. Really, I think he would've been wiser selling ISU on it's own merits - namely one of the hottest young coaches.

Your plan makes all kinds of sense, but it's risky as well. You're looking at a 10K increase and if you don't get it, you're cutting out your own legs. I think a more balanced approach would've been in order. Maybe a $50 hike. A little more moderate parking fee for donors. Incremental changes.

Look back at the thread of how excited people were when Chizik was hired. People were jumping on the NCC bandwagon left and right (so they claim). I bet alot of that is tempered now. Anyway, 90% of the people here aren't the financial problem. It's the new comers that we need. My biggest fear will ALL of this is that JP might be shutting a good number out. He's looking for quite the investment right out of the gate.

Here's the other comparison I'd like to make. A person couldn't start off for remotely the way I did. Late 90's I join NCC Varsity. $50 gets me good seats and parking. I get the 1/2 price (2:1) tickets at some crazy amount like $180.

Today, you have to be NCC Cardinal plus $50 just to be guaranteed parking. That's (+500 over me right there). The ticket price is near double, if not more, what it was not all that long ago. And everything around it has gone up as well. I know my liquor bill is higher than it was (that might not be just inflation) Now I realize there are necessary changes, costs increase and such - I absolutely do. But even knowing that - It's a hell of alot more expensive to get in the door at JTS anmyore. And I imagine there are younger fans who struggle with that, and plenty of older fans who got their start same as me.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthCy View Post
    If I were AD I would stop going on Marty and Miller, although Pollard did show how foolish they are.
    I hope he gets a weekly slot. That was the highlight of my day, without question!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

I'm glad I nor anyone else on this board is AD. We would've hired Jeter (or not fired Morgan at all), hired Harbaugh (or let Dan stay), etc.

Pollard has been making all the right moves so far - it's hard for me to doubt him. I'm not blindly following them man - I do see the clear risks - I also see Pollard as a marketing maven that knows how to get it done.

And, he made M&M look like fools. Mainly Marty - who completely took a U-turn on the situation in the matter of one commercial break.

Priceless.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

No, no, no, on

My choice was Turgeon down at Witchita St (not sure I would've waited the one year that JP did) and I wanted the switch and was all over Chizik.

Now, not in a million years would I have got either. But that's not really the point ......

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    No, no, no, on

My choice was Turgeon down at Witchita St (not sure I would've waited the one year that JP did) and I wanted the switch and was all over Chizik.

Now, not in a million years would I have got either. But that's not really the point ......
    Well, if your shooting high Why not bring Timmy Floyd back and why not Jimmy Johnson again. If your not going to get them anyway, go huge.

"I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

I wonder if the Pollard brain trust ever considered a two- or three-year commitment to football season tickets, with a gradual increase each year. For example, this year season tickets will be $290, then $320 and then $350, and that's only if you commit to three years right now! And, that would require a gradual increase in your NCC donation...something like that. This way, it would have been easier to budget from one year to the next and not surprise people with these huge one-year hikes!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    I wonder if the Pollard brain trust ever considered a two- or three-year commitment to football season tickets, with a gradual increase each year. For example, this year season tickets will be $290, then $320 and then $350, and that's only if you commit to three years right now! And, that would require a gradual increase in your NCC donation...something like that. This way, it would have been easier to budget from one year to the next and not surprise people with these huge one-year hikes!
    I think that would be an excellent option.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think that the ticket demand is quite as elastic as you believe it to be. We have had cheap tickets for quite some time now, and not had high enough demand to fill up the stadium. While the higher prices might hurt demand a bit, I think JP is counting on there being a significant number of fans who will be there relatively independent of the price. Many of those fans that don't get season tickets will end up buying single game tickets.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 423

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with Pollard's plan but what is wrong with mine? Let the beatings begin..
    Just to play devils advocate: under your plan what you made extra in sales, you would have to spend on marketing. Increase in marketing, increase in advertising, and then increase in labor to get that all done.

On a serious note I'm sure they did analysis that looked similar to what you did in great detail. It's not like they just pull a number out of a hat.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    Just to play devils advocate: under your plan what you made extra in sales, you would have to spend on marketing. Increase in marketing, increase in advertising, and then increase in labor to get that all done.

On a serious note I'm sure they did analysis that looked similar to what you did in great detail. It's not like they just pull a number out of a hat.

You right I'm sure they considered everything and have a lot more data than I. It would be nice to see a sellout for every game though.

Rookie
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Smile Re: If I was AD.......

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    How about this scenario. I don't know what the mix is for season tickets but lets assume it's something like this.

30K tickets sold
    20,000 @ $260 = 5.2 million
    10,000 @ $99 = 990,000

Total 6.2 million

2007 (pollard plan)
    20,000 @ $350 = 7 million
    15,000 @ $150 = 2.25 million

Total 9.25 million

2007 (my plan)

40,000 @ $200 = 8 million
    10,000 @ $150 = 1.5 million

Total 9.5 million

I think if you offered good tickets at $200 and marketed the heck out of them you would fill every seat for every game. You would get a bunch of new fans and then after a successful season you could gradually raise ticket prices because there would be a demand for the product. You would also see increases in concessions, parking, merchandise, etc.

You would also see more donations to the Cyclone and Gridiron clubs. I know that I've donated to the Cyclone Club for the last 10 years but this year I won't because of the increase in ticket/parking prices.

I think our problem is that we need a bigger fan base and raising ticket prices during down times doesn't seem to be the best way to do this. I think offering cheap tickets is the best way to get new fans in the door and this is evident by the $99 tickets last year.

No beatings, but I think you are forgetting one thing. There will be no single game tickets available for Iowa only.

With the Pollard plan, I think you could add an average of 12,000 seats at $50 per for the remaining 6 games. That would add another $3.6 million. Then the Pollard plan would be worth $12.85 million.

Now you can probably beat me to death for my assumptions, but those are my thoughts anyway.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I don't think that the ticket demand is quite as elastic as you believe it to be. We have had cheap tickets for quite some time now, and not had high enough demand to fill up the stadium.
    You're probably right on this one. I was just thinking how many more tickets we sold last year with the $99 package and those were not so good seats and no coaching change. I'd like to see what % of those $99 seats will renew this year.