Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 296

Cry babies..

It is getting really old listening to ISU fans complain about paying 50 dollars a season to park in one of the nicest parking facilities for D1 football.

They have 5500 spots to park. Lets say they get 4000 people to buy spots...

thats $200,000 extra raised for the athletic department? I do not see anything wrong with making everyone pitch in a little bit to get us where we want to be.

Go out to eat ONE less time a year and you have it basically paid for. It's not a huge deal.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Cry babies..

Couldn't have said it better myself....

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 564
    Given: 502

just be a poor student like me and walk for 30 minutes or ride your bike!

@RandomGeoFacts

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah...it's too bad that parking in the grass lots is now more expensive than ponying up the $50 (assuming you don't count the initial NCC donation).

Pay the $50 now and park on the concrete, or pay $105 and enjoy the grass.

(Also, think of all the cash we're going to get from obnoxious Hawk fans who come to tailgate. Wouldn't you rather be away from them?)

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'm really sick of people telling other people how to spend their money.

It's not just a simple matter of $50. It's ANOTHER $50.

For years ISU donors had pretty much the lone perk of NCC membership being parking. That's actually why I joined the NCC.

Last year JP raised the ante - $50 Varsity or $100 Century isn't enough - you have to be $500 Cardinal to get in, $250 you roll the dice. Ok fine, I up and get in. This year I up a little more to guaratee a spot - and to generally increase my donation because I like what's happened. Then out of the blue another $50 gets laid down. Now pretty much, under JP's plan, parking for many has gone from a $50-$100 proposition, to $550.

And that's on top of a near 3 digit increase in season ticket prices. For me, it's only 2, so my net increase not even adding in NCC is $230. Not exactly tragic - but again that amounts to a 3rd ticket just two years ago and is before a $250 hike in NCC. How about that donor who has 4 or 6 tickets? My friends who have families of 4, 4, 4? They just got jacked for $500. At that point for alot of people, every $50 bucks adds up. Especially when that alternative is another $55.

So I suggest if people vent about not liking a perk going away and more money coming out of their pocket - and do so in a decent, respectful manner - others who don't have such issues SHUT THE HELL UP and let it be.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 01-17-2007 at 10:02 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

DaddyMac- couldn't have said it better myself!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 176

I think it's rather foolish to call our fans crybabies or tell them to shut up just because you may not agree with them.

Yeah - it's no secret I support what the AD's office is doing and expect fans to own up to the challenge. What I don't expect is all fans to agree with it, sing it's praises, etc. Nor do I expect all fans to be able to handle the economic adjustments.

For the most part this passionate debate has been civil and enjoyable. It would be great if we could keep it that way.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 25

As I stated in an earlier thread, it is a matter of priorities. For those of you who have tight budgets, I suggest deciding what your priorities are and then spend the money there. I am not telling you where to spend your money, I am simply saying if ISU Football is a priority for you, then you can easily find a sacrifice elsewhere to offset the increase in cost if you operate under a proper budget (which you should if you are that strapped) and don't just spend willy nilly.

One less dinner, one less beer, one less movie....these are simple sacrifices to make IF and only IF you want to prioritize ISU Football. IF you prefer to spend money on IPods, text messaging, beer and stippers then spend it there. It is YOUR choice, but there is a choice.

I am lucky that I can afford the increase and not get pinched. I understand this may have clouded my perspective and I respect everyone's opinions and positions, but I just have to believe that most of you with tight budgets can make it happen pretty easily with a little planning (especially when you have gotten tickets in the past). The increase is significant from a percentage perspective, but if you look at the actual dollars, it really doesn't amount to more than you would spend out for a few dinners or to buy that must have I Phone, Wii, or PS3.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    As I stated in an earlier thread, it is a matter of priorities. For those of you who have tight budgets, I suggest deciding what your priorities are and then spend the money there. I am not telling you where to spend your money, I am simply saying if ISU Football is a priority for you, then you can easily find a sacrifice elsewhere to offset the increase in cost if you operate under a proper budget (which you should if you are that strapped) and don't just spend willy nilly.

One less dinner, one less beer, one less movie....these are simple sacrifices to make IF and only IF you want to prioritize ISU Football. IF you prefer to spend money on IPods, text messaging, beer and stippers then spend it there. It is YOUR choice, but there is a choice.

I am lucky that I can afford the increase and not get pinched. I understand this may have clouded my perspective and I respect everyone's opinions and positions, but I just have to believe that most of you with tight budgets can make it happen pretty easily with a little planning (especially when you have gotten tickets in the past). The increase is significant from a percentage perspective, but if you look at the actual dollars, it really doesn't amount to more than you would spend out for a few dinners or to buy that must have I Phone, Wii, or PS3.

Good post. Also, someone stated that free parking was the primary reason they joined the NCC. Huh? The primary reason should be to support what we all believe is a bright future for Cyclone athletics. I realize I am probably taking his statement out of context, but I just want to reiterate what the priority should be here. If you can't swing both, NCC members should drop their donation level and buy season tickets - just my opinion.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

I think the whole problem with this is we are not a good football team. Its easy to raise prices when you come off of back to back new years day bowls, but we were one of the worst football teams in D1 last year. All that being said....we have some cheap prices for watching iowa, UNI, OU, K-STATE, CU, TEXAS at home. That is a hell of a deal. Now the following year might be tough to raise prices if we are a 4 win team and have no good games on the sched...

Long story short...Just pony up.

Last edited by HandSanitizer; 01-17-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    ... or tell them to shut up just because you may not agree with them.
    The only reason I do so is because it's a matter of telling people how to spend their money.

I also get more than irritated at people telling others how to cheer - I gave the example of the jokers down the row from me who rip on the other fans around us for not standing the whole game. It drives me nuts and it's beyond pointless.

Most people can swing another $50, event he $230 in my particular case. But people need to be sensitive that on top of $90 ticket increases X times over, $50 parking might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I know it comes rather close to me - at least this year and my financial predictament. And it's EXTREMELY frustrating and a rather scary thought. "I might not be able to afford tickets this year"??? Most aren't in that position and reeally need to think about that for a minute....

I really don't care if people lay into one another about things like X's and O's, Monday morning quarterbacking, or Steve Alford's hair salon bill. But person's money is a very, very personnal matter and I won't stand for such ridicule or to tell people how to spend it by just "not going out to dinner" once more.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I'm the one who said that.

And when I was 27 and getting single game tickets a couple times a year, the free parking (obviously it's not free) to go with the Varisty program and season ticket packages was a major step up. Right there I went from maybe $100 year (3 games @ 30 and parking) to over $250. Now, through that beginning, I'm beyond Varsity, looking at (trying to stay at) Cardinal and have two full price season tickets. The Cardinal was pretty much simply to pay for parking because my tickets are still in the Century/Varsity section - and that was up to me. But regardless, my bill this year is looking to be near $1300 for effectively is $700 worth of tickets. So you are looking a little out of context.

To your last point. Why should I forgo a Cardinal membership, drop to Century and get a 3rd season ticket? To what end?

Last edited by DaddyMac; 01-17-2007 at 11:22 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post

To your last point. Why should I forgo a Cardinal membership, drop to Century and get a 3rd season ticket? To what end?
    Not trying to start a fight here, so calm down. I was merely saying that if someone has an NCC membership, but is thinking about A) not getting season tickets, or B)Not renewing them - due to the higher cost, then that person could compromise and lower their donation level for NCC to help subsidize their season ticket purchase. i was not referring to people who have the capacity or desire to maintain both. I was not saying for you personally to get an extra ticket - that doesn't even make sense. I was referring to people where a trade-off may be necessary to make it work.

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I don't know what the prices are at other schools but go ask an Iowa alumn what they pay for season tickets and parking, go ask a Notre Dame alumn, go ask a Texas alumn, go ask all the school what they pay for their tickets and parking. Is ISU comparable to those schools now? NO! That is what everyone for the most part wants them headed towards though. If you want to play with the big boys you have to pay with the big boys. It's like entering a nascar race with a 1980 Caprice Classic. The ISU alumn and fans are going to have to fork out money to get to where we all want to be. It's the fact of life.

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What do you think the odds will be of them accommodating the $250 donor level parking requests?