Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 50

Bose Knows?

I curious what folks think about the Bose system.
    Is it the best thing on the market?
    Good but over priced and can do better for the money?
    Sold to yuppies so they can show how sophisticated they are?

All truisms are false. All of them.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Bose Knows?

Which system?

For the most part, I would but BOSE under the category of "Good, but over priced and can do better for the money".

If you're a yuppy trying to show how sophisticated you are, I'd go with B&O.

Prospect
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Bose makes a good product. I have the lifestyle 18. Not a lot of cumbersome wiring and basically invisible in your room. I don't think you'll find anything that sounds better for less and I compared several in the marketplace when I bought mine. with that said, sure you can find something out there that sounds good for less.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 335

Here is my opinion:

If you have a Bose system and you like it than that's what's important.

Now about what I think of them:

I think they are 100% about name and design. I could put together a $500 system that would KILL a $3,000 Bose system but it wouldn't look as pretty.

A couple things you'll notice about Bose.

In stores they almost always put their systems away from everything else so that you can't compare.

You rarely see good audio mags do reviews on Bose products. I don't remember the magazine name but they did a review of a Bose product a long time ago and Bose sued them. Everyone is scared to criticize them now.

Last edited by dmclone; 04-02-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I want to stress that I'm not against anyone buying a Bose system. Sometimes they are limited in space. For example, I have a TV upstairs and I hated the TV speakers so I bought a cheap Sony soundbar. Now I know that it's not going to give me great sound but I wanted something that would fit below the TV and not run any wires.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 67

No highs, no lows, must be Bose. I think that Bose is a lot of hype and marketing. As dmclone mentioned, they will typically be setup in a different part of the store so you can't compare them directly to other systems. They also carefully pick the demo material the systems play. Their choices are clips that really hide the weaknesses of the systems.

You will also notice that in addition to the major home theater and AV mags not ever reviewing the stuff, finding detailed technical specifications is impossible.

If space is a concern, there are plenty of high end speaker manufacturers that make sub and sat systems. (5 small speakers and a sub, basically the same configuration as the Bose systems). For the money of a Bose system, there are a lot of options out there that in my opinion will do a lot better.

As for best thing on the market, not even close. Get out of Best Buy and head to a dedicated high end home theater store and you can see some stuff that will totally blow you away. I would recommend Audio Video Logic in Urbandale. We are talking individual speakers that cost as much as a car, and total systems worth more than my house. They make a movie theater sound like crap in comparison.

That said, if you are in the market, head on over to avsforum.com. There is a ton of info over there on all things home theater, and the members really know their stuff.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I look at it like Sony. You can always do better for the price, but you have to be willing to do some research. Sony, like Bose, is generally a good product. Most cheaper competitors are hit or miss. Some people would rather pay a premium and not get burned, others will spend some time looking around to find something comparable for less money. I've got a Bose setup, and I really like it, but I'm sure I could have done better if I was willing to look around. On the other hand, I didn't want to pay for a Sony LCD TV, so I did my research and found a Samsung that rated better for a lot less money.

You just have to decide what your priority is.

Rookie
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This could end up in the cave. Everyone seems to have an opinion about Bose, yet most of the people ripping on Bose don't own anything from Bose - in my experience. They probably aren't the absolute best, but they look good, and if you have some disposable income they do the job with the least amount of fuss. I have an acoustimass 6 with a bigger bose center speaker, have had it for about 8 years and it still works great, easy to set up, very portable which is what I needed at the time when moving from college to apartments, etc. In our new house I am looking at wall and ceiling speakers, not sure what brand yet, but I have different needs now and acoustimass really isn't a great match for my new basement. I bought a bose wave radio for my home office and it sounds really good, is easy to move to the kitchen or great room, and just works.
    There's no perfect system or speakers, you have to figure out your requirements and budget and then narrow it down from there.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 34

Bose is a marketing company, not a audio company.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree with Audio Video Logic. Another good place to go is Audio Labs. They actually have some Bose in house that they use to compare to other speakers. I think you'll be surprised what you hear.

As far as people not knowing what they are talking about, that's probably true but I think most people have heard Bose speakers. I'm far from an audiophile but it really doesn't take one to hear the difference.

As far as comparing Sony to Bose I don't think there is a real comparison. Sony may charge an extra $200-$300 for their products because of the Sony name but they produce a lot of good middle of the road products. I look at Sony kind of like Honda. There may be a few other models out there that are better but chances are that your going to get a lot of bang for your buck. BTW-I don;t currently own any Sony A/V equipment besdies a PS3 so I'm not a Sony Fanboy.

I look at Bose more like a Ferrari kit car.

That's home audio. As far as car audio I find them hit/miss. I've had some cars where the Bose system sounded great. On the other hand I had a 350Z with a Bose that sounded so bad that they actual recalled it.

I've heard a lot of good things about their wave radios and also those noise canceling head phones.

Last edited by dmclone; 04-02-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

I view Bose sort of like I view Apple.

Yeah it's good stuff, but it's mostly hype and marketing, and you're going to overpay for what you get.

If you're lazy or just don't care about having the best value or the best product, Bose is fine.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 67

I have listened to other people's Bose systems before, and I listened to systems when I was shopping for my own. Overall, for the money, it just doesn't measure up. Go to a specialty store and see what you can get for that price and you won't look back.

That said, I have owned their headphones and I have enjoyed those. I would consider my opinions to be home audio only. I haven't had much experience in the car audio side to have an opinion there.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,639
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 569
    Given: 130

Who uses the term yuppie anymore? What is this 1985?

Bose is great. It's just more expensive than most people are willing to pay so they have to downgrade it.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

I bought computer speakers at Best Buy. I had a choice of a $89 dollar system (can't remember the brand, probably JBL or something like that), and a $99 Bose System. I was able to listen to both and Bose blew the $89 system away, so I went with that. I've also had similar experiences with home audio as well.

I am not saying Bose is the absoulte best in all cases, but this was a case in which I was willing to pay $10 for a much better sound quality.

If you're looking for the absolute best system you can get, I'd recommend going to a specialty store as recommended above. If you like the Bose system, how it sounds, and can afford to buy it, then go with that.

OR, just do what I do: get the product that gives you the most marginal utility.

When buying speakers I always listen to them in a store first. If online it ends up being cheaper then, I'll order. I never buy speakers without listening to them as many brands go on reputation and sometimes they'll slack on the product...

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    Bose is great. It's just more expensive than most people are willing to pay so they have to downgrade it.

Give me an example of a Bose system and I'll give you an example of a similar system (non-Bose) that will give you better sound quality for 1/2 the price. I'm talking Home A/V gear not headphones, computer speakers, etc.

Money has very little to do with it. The people that spend a lot of money on A/V gear don't buy Bose. Take a look at people with real home theaters and see how many have a Bose systems.

Last edited by dmclone; 04-02-2009 at 01:54 PM.