Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,104
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Question Garage Organization Ideas & Advice?

I have a fairly large 2-car unfinished (framed & insulated, but no drywall yet) garage that is slowly turning into a logistical & organizational nightmare, so it needs to be dealt with this spring/summer. I'm gathing ideas for how to go about things right now, so thought I'd try to get some ideas from some of you that may have already gone through this.

The 1st thing I need to do is finish & cover the walls, but I'm wonderring if I should definitely go with drywall or are there other wall-covering alternatives I should consider that work really well in garages?

After the walls are finished, I'll move on to the organization part. Can I get some input/tips/likes/dislikes/advice from some of you out there that have recently finished thier garages and are happy with how they're set up? I have a lot of sports equipment (bikes, golf clubs, snowboards, fishing poles, etc.), tools and lawn equip, so try to keep that in mind with any ideas shared.

Any plans, pictures, etc. are appreciated too - thanks in advance for anyone willing to contribute!

- 的知 not a spin my wheels type of guy." - Coach Paul Rhoads

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 951
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 9

Re: Garage Organization Ideas & Advice?

Move to a place with a bigger garage!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 99

I really like my shelves that hang from the ceiling for things you don't use too often.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

Drywall is probably the cheapest alternative, but I would also consider partical board - it will stand up to bangs and bruises better.

One thing to keep in mind when you are organizing is if you have 3 or 4 feet of clearance or more over you garage doors when they are open - utilize that space for some storage. You can get some pretty decent cubic footage if your garage is high enough.

Say 5 feet of clearance by a 7 foot long and 16 foot wide area = 560 cubic feet os storage that otherwise will just be empty.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by nfrine View Post
    Move to a place with a bigger garage!
    Awesome Idea!!! Moderator, please close this thread as it is no longer needed b/c I have the answer I was looking for.

Seriously though, I have an oversized garage with plenty of room - just need to finish & organize it. If you don't want to contribute any helpful info, move along to another thread please.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyeah View Post
    Drywall is probably the cheapest alternative, but I would also consider partical board - it will stand up to bangs and bruises better.

One thing to keep in mind when you are organizing is if you have 3 or 4 feet of clearance or more over you garage doors when they are open - utilize that space for some storage. You can get some pretty decent cubic footage if your garage is high enough.

Say 5 feet of clearance by a 7 foot long and 16 foot wide area = 560 cubic feet os storage that otherwise will just be empty.
    Thats what we've done - all the scrap or whatver that's been ripped out of the house has gone "above" the garage if it's in good shape. You never know when, you're going to need it. I've thrown old doors up there too, as they make excellent tables when I have the sawhorses out.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the input. I do have high ceilings, so I am planning to take advantage of that. Is there good shelving out there to mount to ceilings out there, or is it just as good to custom build using 2x's & plywood?

Thumbs Up

I concur. I have 20' wide selves that are 3' tall and 2' deep above my door. This is where I keep Chriistmas lights, tools I don't use regularly, and much of my camping equipment. I actually continued these shelves around 90% of the rest of the garage.

You know what, Stewie, if you don't like it, go on the internet and complain. -Brian Griffin

Somebody's gotta go back and get a ----load of dimes. -Taggart

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 99

Quote Originally Posted by Jonecy View Post
    Thanks for the input. I do have high ceilings, so I am planning to take advantage of that. Is there good shelving out there to mount to ceilings on out there, or is it just as good to custom build using 2x's & plywood?
    The ones I'm talking about are metal with a wire mesh shelf so you can see what's up there. They adjust up and down and you can connect several of them too. I got mine at Menards.

Thumbs Up

Thanks for the input. I do have high ceilings, so I am planning to take advantage of that. Is there good shelving out there to mount to ceilings out there, or is it just as good to custom build using 2x's & plywood?
    2x4's and plywood or OSB. if you make them 2' deep, it's just one cut down the middle of the sheet. Also, I decided what size of plastic tubs to put my junk in, and built the shelves to accomodate them.

You know what, Stewie, if you don't like it, go on the internet and complain. -Brian Griffin

Somebody's gotta go back and get a ----load of dimes. -Taggart

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cycloin View Post
    I concur. I have 20' wide selves that are 3' tall and 2' deep above my door. This is where I keep Chriistmas lights, tools I don't use regularly, and much of my camping equipment. I actually continued these shelves around 90% of the rest of the garage.
    How did you build it so you can access all of that area? Can you actually crawl on this shelving above the garage door if you have to?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

I built mine because I am a cheap bastard. They do make some that are pretty good. There is or was a store in Urbandale that was all about garage organization - swing by there and take a look at the productc for ideas.

I also put particle board above the rafter joists of the garage and made a little entry point and had a ton of storage up there.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 321

My parents just use plywood and store winter tires and tool sets he uses infrequently up there (not all kinds of clearance - maybe 6 feet at the most at the very peak and the roof slopes quickly)

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    The ones I'm talking about are metal with a wire mesh shelf so you can see what's up there. They adjust up and down and you can connect several of them too. I got mine at Menards.
    I do like the idea of being able to see what's up there without having to go through everything....thanks for the tip. Were these shelves pretty expensive?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'd just lay 4x8 plywood across the rafters and store stuff up on top of that.