Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7

Question about home insurance claims

We use State Farm for our home/hazard insurance. A while back we had a hail storm, and among other things, State Farm offered to replace a few storm windows, screens, and their frames.

Well it turns out that the frames we have aren't manufactured anymore, so our replacements will not match the rest of our windows.

Since I can't find matching replacements, my goal is to get State Farm to replace all of the frames/screens/storm windows.

I called State Farm real quick and talked to them about this...the guy said the policy didn't cover matching frames. I'm going to ask them where my policy says that, and look through the policy myself.

In the meantime, does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this? Do I have any chance?? Thanks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 30

Re: Question about home insurance claims

They should only cover the damaged ones, if you want them all to match, the other windows will be on your dime.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

I was a home claims adjuster a couple of summers ago for storm damage with another company.

In general they will only replace the damaged items individually.

However, Iowa has a law for siding that requires them to replace the line of sight so if you were to stand back away from the damaged siding they would replace all siding as you look at it from a 90 degree angle from left to right. But that I believe will only apply to any siding damage you have and that is an Iowa specific thing.

On the windows, you are probably S.O.L. on having them replace any that wasn't directly damaged.

Also, chances are what you are looking through isn't the actually the policy but the binder. If you want an actual copy of the policy you might want to ask for one from your agent. The policy won't specifically state it doesn't cover matching windows but it will probably say something along the lines that it only covers functionality and not cosmetics or aesthetics. Since the functionality of your other windows wasn't damaged they won't be covered to match your other windows. You can try to appeal it and fight it and hope you get lucky and just give in to you, but chances are it won't make a difference.

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Why would your insurance cover items that didn't get damaged? I suppose if you feel you're not getting your money's worth out of State Farm you could just pay for all of the windows out of pocket.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreg View Post
    We use State Farm for our home/hazard insurance. A while back we had a hail storm, and among other things, State Farm offered to replace a few storm windows, screens, and their frames.

Well it turns out that the frames we have aren't manufactured anymore, so our replacements will not match the rest of our windows.

Since I can't find matching replacements, my goal is to get State Farm to replace all of the frames/screens/storm windows.

I called State Farm real quick and talked to them about this...the guy said the policy didn't cover matching frames. I'm going to ask them where my policy says that, and look through the policy myself.

In the meantime, does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this? Do I have any chance?? Thanks
    They will not pay for windows that weren't damaged nor should they.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 347
    Given: 626

A buddy of mine (insured through Farm Bureau), had one of his two garage doors damaged from backing out of his garage with the door closed. The replacement door that was available did not match the door that wasn't damaged.

FB decided to do the right thing and replaced both garage doors... even the one that wasn't damaged. So there is precedent in getting things matched and replaced for items that were not damaged.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    A buddy of mine (insured through Farm Bureau), had one of his two garage doors damaged from backing out of his garage with the door closed. The replacement door that was available did not match the door that wasn't damaged.

FB decided to do the right thing and replaced both garage doors... even the one that wasn't damaged. So there is precedent in getting things matched and replaced for items that were not damaged.
    How is that "the right thing"? You insure your home from damage, not from the possibility of colors not matching. That's all well and good of FB to replace them both, but to expect or assume your insurance agency to cover things that don't get damaged would be silly. Seems like it would set an awful precedent for FB to replace things just because the homeowner doesn't like how something looks.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have been an insurance adjuster for over 20 years and get this all the time. The policy covers "direct physical damage" to covered property. The direct physical damage would be the screens/windows that had the actual hail damage to them. The others that don't match the new ones did not sustain "direct physical damage."

GO CYCLONES!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 831
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44

While you are probably out of luck getting them to pay for it, they may have a sweetheart deal with the window company and if they do you should see if they can get them to get you their discount. Mark up on windows can be huge. And if they guy installing the damaged windows is there already you may get a good rate on installation of the others as well. Try to get them to leverage their buying power on your behalf even you have to foot the bill.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,005
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 28

You should get a good sum for you're roof. I had a hail storm a few years ago and we got $8,000 for a few damaged screens and a few holes in the siding. Look around your gutters, if you have any black residue that the life of your roof right there. You should get a large check for this. PM if you have any questions.

Starter
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the info. It's not like I absolutely expect them to replace everything, nor am I being rude about it on the phone, I am just of the opinion that it never hurts to ask. Maybe I'll get lucky, or maybe at least I can get a good deal like tec71 said.

You should get a good sum for you're roof. I had a hail storm a few years ago and we got $8,000 for a few damaged screens and a few holes in the siding. Look around your gutters, if you have any black residue that the life of your roof right there. You should get a large check for this. PM if you have any questions.
    We got money for a roof, gutters, re-sealing the deck, some minor dents in the AC, and a few storm windows and screens. Just seeing what else I can get covered

Last edited by MrGreg; 03-31-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,118
    Given: 586

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreg View Post
    Thanks for all the info. It's not like I absolutely expect them to replace everything, nor am I being rude about it on the phone, I am just of the opinion that it never hurts to ask. Maybe I'll get lucky, or maybe at least I can get a good deal like tec71 said.

We got money for a roof, gutters, re-sealing the deck, some minor dents in the AC, and a few storm windows and screens. Just seeing what else I can get covered
    While it is smart to ask, and if you decided to make yourself a persistent pain in the ***, there is a chance that they will cave, you will eventually pay it all back in premiums.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

that is why Farm Bureau's AM Best financial stability rating dropped from an A- to a B+ b/c they do stuff like this. they are hurting financially!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JPOP View Post
    that is why Farm Bureau's AM Best financial stability rating dropped from an A- to a B+ b/c they do stuff like this. they are hurting financially!
    Beat me to it. What did they lose in the last quarter of 2008? $16 million?

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Addict
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160

My advice... don't try to get too much out of your insurance... they'll drop you.

I once made two claims in one calendar year... and was dropped. Basically I was told that if you can afford to fix it yourself, do it. It won't be worth getting dropped or having your premiums get jacked way up.