Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Directors Cup

Playing Stanford last night got me thinking about where we were at in the Director's Cup standings so I checked. 49th!! Unfortunately, we are exactly 1 point behind UNI, but that's before the Men's and Women's basketball tournaments.

National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics - National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics

I remember when JP gave a list of things he wanted to accomplish and one was related to Director's Cup standings, but I can't seem to remember. I think it was top 50.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 116

Re: Directors Cup

On a somewhat related note, the Wartburg Knights are 6th in the nation in the D3 directors cup right now after winning national titles in W Indoor track and wrestling, along with a top 10 finish in football.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Rookie
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

To me, this is the test of our department- not our two big revenue sports (yes, I understand the importance of success in them).

We have been pitiful in the Directors Cup for quite some time. We will have a shot at the Top 45 this year and that is a good start. Our track and field programs need to improve and our major revenue sources need to pick it up as well.

While I will never use this as an excuse, you look at the budgets of the schools in the top 15 and then look at ours, we really do well and UNI is extraordinary. Look at the schools below us, Alabama??? Then look at K-State, man, it would be tough being a fan there.

UNI has a great department across the board. I have never been a Panther fan nor will I be. Having said that, they have something in place that is a great model for schools their size. In addition, their facilities are really, really nice. I tip my cap to them. I tip my cap to our athletes as well.

Pro
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

I'm not sure how that works, but the way I read that it isn't the overall directors cup standings, that is just the winter sports standings.

I think those might add to the other season sports for the overall director cup ranking that J.P. is focusing on with his goal.

However, 49th for winter sports is excellent news. Especially considering we don't computer is about half of the sports that is tallied into this such as fencing or rifle. The largest problem with using that as a good gage of our athletic dept. is that it includes so many sports that your typical public university doesn't compete in at a D1 level. Things we lack include things as crew (rowing), lacrosse, rifle, mens hockey, womens hockey, etc, etc.

We are experiencing some serious steps forward dept wide when you stop focussing so hard on the revenue sports. The Wrestling team is in the top 5 again this year, women's basketball making the elite 8, Volleyball made elite 8 (I think), Gymnastics finished last in the big 12 but was still rated in the top 25 for at least part of the season not sure where they ended up. Overall the Athletics dept has had a lot of solid showings this year from all the sports that aren't the ones that make the front line of the sports page or coverage on sports center.

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

Walk On
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

That's what I initially thought too, but it is the running total that is updated periodically. If you look at the right it includes winter and fall totals which add up to the total on the far left column. I went back and looked at the prior releases to confirm.

Regardless, the non-rev sports have improved considerably especially the newly successful sports like Volleyball and Gymnastics.

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Mowilly View Post
    To me, this is the test of our department- not our two big revenue sports (yes, I understand the importance of success in them).
    While these things are nice, the only sports that likely matter to a majority of Cyclone fans are football and men's basketball, and to a lesser extent, wrestling (and maybe women's basketball). The evaluation of Pollard will be, and should be, weighted heavily towards these sports.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by josier View Post
    That's what I initially thought too, but it is the running total that is updated periodically. If you look at the right it includes winter and fall totals which add up to the total on the far left column. I went back and looked at the prior releases to confirm.

Regardless, the non-rev sports have improved considerably especially the newly successful sports like Volleyball and Gymnastics.
    Good catch, thanks for pointing that out.

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
    While these things are nice, the only sports that likely matter to a majority of Cyclone fans are football and men's basketball, and to a lesser extent, wrestling (and maybe women's basketball). The evaluation of Pollard will be, and should be, weighted heavily towards these sports.
    Agreed. Football and basketball are obviously the two most high-profile sports and the two highest revenue-generating sports. These , right or wrong, will be what Pollard's success (or lack thereof) is judged on.

Fact of the matter is that we could suck at every other sport we have, but if we consistently make the NCAA tournament and consistently go to bowl games, money will continue to pour in and Pollard will keep his job.

Starter
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

7 Texas
    18 Nebraska
    22 Texas A&M
    27 Missouri
    32 Texas Tech
    39 Oklahoma State
    43 Colorado
    49 Iowa State
    58 Oklahoma
    62 Kansas
    81 Baylor (Tex.)
    113 Kansas State

I believe JP had a goal of getting into the top half of this list.....We are close and I believe it wasnt too long ago we couldn't move off of the bottom.

Rookie
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

My concern is about Iowa State and success. No question, we need to acheve in the two major sports, I alluded to that in my post and we know why that is important. Overall are we doing it right? Is Iowa State doing it right?

The answer is yes- we are graduating kids and becoming more competitive across the board!

I don't care what people think of Jamie and his performance. I care what people think about the experience of our student athletes and I care about what the student athlete thinks of their own experience. Succes enhances the experience.

Fans get more than four years (unlike our student athletes) and most of our fans will be around when JP is long gone.

Is ISU performing better? The answer is yes!

That ain't gonna make our fans feel good when talking sports at a party but it ain't like we have had scoreboard too often anyway.

Recruit
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Man I can't believe that anyone really cares about this. Directors Cup??? Next time you're at the water cooler, drop that on your Hawk friends to make sure they know who's boss. You people sound like shills for the AD. Directors Cup...... give me a break

Our football and basketball program collectively may be at an all time low historically and most fans care about those two sports and nothing else.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by MohawkCy88 View Post
    Man I can't believe that anyone really cares about this. Directors Cup??? Next time you're at the water cooler, drop that on your Hawk friends to make sure they know who's boss. You people sound like shills for the AD. Directors Cup...... give me a break

Our football and basketball program collectively may be at an all time low historically and most fans care about those two sports and nothing else.
    Yeah, who cares where the athletic department ranks overall nationally. You're right, every school should just drop every sport but the two main ones, and move on. THEN we could have a realistic rating.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Giving it a go
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    Yeah, who cares where the athletic department ranks overall nationally. You're right, every school should just drop every sport but the two main ones, and move on. THEN we could have a realistic rating.
    If I am reading your post correctly, you are more reasonable as a Hawk fan than some of the Clone fans.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Starter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Benny34 View Post
    7 Texas
    18 Nebraska
    22 Texas A&M
    27 Missouri
    32 Texas Tech
    39 Oklahoma State
    43 Colorado
    49 Iowa State
    58 Oklahoma
    62 Kansas
    81 Baylor (Tex.)
    113 Kansas State

I believe JP had a goal of getting into the top half of this list.....We are close and I believe it wasnt too long ago we couldn't move off of the bottom.
    Kansas and Oklahoma will probably blow by us once men's and women's basketball is counted.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 66

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    Kansas and Oklahoma will probably blow by us once men's and women's basketball is counted.
    OU will probably also get a nice bump from Women's gymnastics, unless ISU gets their act together at regionals...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy