Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

Back to Tradition

To begin, I do believe that Greg McDermott will succeed, and that Jamie Pollard will prove to be a good athletic director. However, I was just thinking hypothetically last week of what Iowa State could have done a few years back, or could do in the future. It started last weekend when I saw Fred Hoiberg in Minneapolis and remembered he worked in the Timberwolves front office. I later wondered if he would be a good fit as an Athletic Director at Iowa State. Then it came to me that Jeff Hornacek was a candidate for the Chicago Bulls last time around and wondered if he'd be a good fit as the Mens Basketball Coach at Iowa State. Like I said, these are two hypothetical, possibly far-fetched ideas that just came to my mind one day but I really do wonder what people would think of Fred Hoiberg and Jeff Hornacek back in Ames.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,471
    Given: 1,255

Re: Back to Tradition

Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    To begin, I do believe that Greg McDermott will succeed, and that Jamie Pollard will prove to be a good athletic director. However, I was just thinking hypothetically last week of what Iowa State could have done a few years back, or could do in the future. It started last weekend when I saw Fred Hoiberg in Minneapolis and remembered he worked in the Timberwolves front office. I later wondered if he would be a good fit as an Athletic Director at Iowa State. Then it came to me that Jeff Hornacek was a candidate for the Chicago Bulls last time around and wondered if he'd be a good fit as the Mens Basketball Coach at Iowa State. Like I said, these are two hypothetical, possibly far-fetched ideas that just came to my mind one day but I really do wonder what people would think of Fred Hoiberg and Jeff Hornacek back in Ames.
    It would be interesting.

Why not Hoiberg as an assistant AD right now? It's not like he's the head guy in Minnesota or anything.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    It would be interesting.

Why not Hoiberg as an assistant AD right now? It's not like he's the head guy in Minnesota or anything.
    There's actually talk of him becoming the head guy soon. Although McHale seems to have been nearly untouchable during his tenure (despite being the worst GM in the history of the NBA), word on the street it that Glenn Taylor's patience is wearing thin with him.

On a side note, I have some very good friends who are tight with Fred (all the way back to Ames high days) that say he'd like to return to Ames someday in one capacity or the other. Being that he has no coaching experience, but front-office experience he'd be more fit for an AD position than a coaching position.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,010
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 309

It would be interesting.

I believe, that with McHale becoming Timberwolves head coach, he had to give up GM duties.

I think Fred is considered GM, but not 100% sure on this.

EDIT - Still listed as asst GM

Last edited by fccy; 03-30-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isunorth View Post
    There's actually talk of him becoming the head guy soon. Although McHale seems to have been nearly untouchable during his tenure (despite being the worst GM in the history of the NBA), word on the street it that Glenn Taylor's patience is wearing thin with him.

On a side note, I have some very good friends who are tight with Fred (all the way back to Ames high days) that say he'd like to return to Ames someday in one capacity or the other. Being that he has no coaching experience, but front-office experience he'd be more fit for an AD position than a coaching position.
    I've heard that about the heir apparent idea. Maybe we should get him before it's too late.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

I've heard that about the heir apparent idea. Maybe we should get him before it's too late.
    Fred grew up around Iowa State Tradition, became Iowa State Tradition, and would continue Iowa State Tradition!

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know what NBA GMs get paid, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's more than assistant AD at ISU. I'm guessing if he took an assistant AD job that it would be with the expectation of being the head guy in the foreseeable future. Not sure how we'd pull that off with Pollard knowing full well is he grooming someone to take his position.

Not that I think money is what drives Fred. In fact, I think quite the opposite. (Although he does drive a sweet Maserati )

He's just a very talented guy that knows he has a lot of options. We'd have to offer something big to get him out of Minneapolis.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know what NBA GMs get paid, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's more than assistant AD at ISU. I'm guessing if he took an assistant AD job that it would be with the expectation of being the head guy in the foreseeable future. Not sure how we'd pull that off with Pollard knowing full well is he grooming someone to take his position.

Not that I think money is what drives Fred. In fact, I think quite the opposite. (Although he does drive a sweet Maserati )

He's just a very talented guy that knows he has a lot of options. We'd have to offer something big to get him out of Minneapolis.
    I don't think you're out on the thickest limb there.

Maybe he already has his money from his playing days. Maybe not, but maybe it is something that could work.

Obviously, I'm pretty definite on this. I have no idea, but it sounds interesting.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

It will never happen while Jamie Pollard is our AD. Jamie is not going to hire someone who would be a very popular choice to replace him the instant that Dr. Geoffrey decides enough is enough.

I love the idea of having a charismatic leader like Fred Hoiberg or Dan McCarney as our AD. We need an AD who can motivate and inspire people -- in other words, a leader, not an administrative bureaucrat like we have now. But it won't happen until Dr. Geoffrey pulls the trigger.

Last edited by MontyBurns; 04-01-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

He is already "The Mayor" of Ames, why not the AD of Iowa State? A little far-fetched at the moment, but I could see it happening in our lifetimes.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Erik4Cy View Post
    He is already "The Mayor" of Ames, why not the AD of Iowa State? A little far-fetched at the moment, but I could see it happening in our lifetimes.
    I'd bet all the money in my pocket (not much ) that he's the next AD after Pollard. The only way I see it not happening is if he leaves the front office and start coaching. In which case I would see him as the next coach after McD. I have very good sources that say Fred really wants to get back to Ames and ISU in some capacity.

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 78

Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    Like I said, these are two hypothetical, possibly far-fetched ideas that just came to my mind one day but I really do wonder what people would think of Fred Hoiberg and Jeff Hornacek back in Ames.
    Maybe Fred would love to locate back in Ames someday, but don't hold your breath for Hornacek. Everytime ISU invites him back for an event, he wants all his expenses paid for...

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 113

I'd bet all the money in my pocket (not much ) that he's the next AD after Pollard. The only way I see it not happening is if he leaves the front office and start coaching. In which case I would see him as the next coach after McD. I have very good sources that say Fred really wants to get back to Ames and ISU in some capacity.
    Fred gets back to quite a few football games I know, see him with the kids quite a bit, they sit in the same section. He loves Ames and ISU and really is a class act. I hope he comes back to ISU as a coach or an AD. But then I would really like to see Danny Mac back at ISU in some capacity someday.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 2

Hornacek would never come back as coach. Besides, good players don't always make good coaches (see: Wayne Gretzky).

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog View Post
    Fred gets back to quite a few football games I know, see him with the kids quite a bit, they sit in the same section. He loves Ames and ISU and really is a class act. I hope he comes back to ISU as a coach or an AD. But then I would really like to see Danny Mac back at ISU in some capacity someday.
    Fred Hoiberg as AD with Dan McCarney on his staff to make appearances and give speeches at key Cyclone Club fundraising events would be a pretty awesome combination.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.