Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 13

NFL Draft 2009

I watch a lot of Sportscenter and listen to Mel Kiper a lot about the upcoming draft and everything always said is that a certain player will go in a certain position because of the needs of that NFL team. What I always wonder though is, take needs of the team away, and what player would actually go numbers 1 - 5 because they are the best player available and ready to step in right away to play at the next level.

So, my question to all of you is: take needs of the team away and what players should go numbers 1 - 5 on the mere basis of them being the "best" player available? Be serious and lets here everybody's ideas!

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: NFL Draft 2009

I think Curry, Smith, Crabtree and Orapko are the 4 best talents in the draft... not sure of what order, but those guys are all freaks in terms of talent, agility, strength, etc. You look at them, watch them, and you know they're football players.

Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

Top 5 talents A.Curry, J.Smith,M. Crabtree, E.Monroe and B. Orapko
    Top 5 picks assuming Cutler isn't traded maybe 1. M.Stafford 2. J. Smith 3. A. Curry 4. E. Monroe 5. Either M.Crabtree or B.Orapko depending on if the Browns trade Braylon Edwards

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

1. Jason Smith - OT Baylor
    2. Michael Crabtree - WR - Texas Tch
    3. Brian Orakpo - DE - Texas
    4. Eugene Monroe - OT - Virginia
    5. Aaron Curry - OLB/DE - Wake Forest

I don't really think Aaron Curry is THAT great... those in between guys don't work out all the time. A few have (Merriman, John Abraham) but for everyone that has worked out, there are 5 or 10 that haven't.

Rookie
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonegrad07 View Post

I don't really think Aaron Curry is THAT great... those in between guys don't work out all the time. A few have (Merriman, John Abraham) but for everyone that has worked out, there are 5 or 10 that haven't.
    Just like Gholsten last year outta OSU! He is a workout animal but sounds like the jets r regreting that pick....could change though with a new defensive scheme!

GO RAMS!!!

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Orakpo will be a bust...good for show.

Monroe, J. Smith, Crabtree, Curry, A. Smith

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Detroit Lions - Mathew Stafford (4th overall) I personally feel having the leagues worst record entitles you to drafting the best player. Some NFL GMs don't feel that way. They draft quarterbacks. A look around the Bay Area shows us Al Davis and the Raiders opted for the QB (Jamarcus Russell) over the best prospect in the 2007 draft and maybe best WR prospect ever (Calvin Johnson). With our own 49ers in 2005, as much as I wanted otherwise, McNolan wanted a face for the franchise. Lions do the same here, passing on the best player (Aaron Curry) for a QB. Stafford is the soup du jour.

St Louis Rams - Jason Smith Best overall player There's a few ways this pick could go. Most people tend to feel Aaron Curry is the #1 player in the draft, so he could certainly be the pick. This is also where Michael Crabtree starts to enter the discussion, but there are too many question marks for him here. QB is also a darkhorse here, but with Orlando Pace at the end of a great career, OT has to be the pick.

Kansas City Chiefs - Aaron Curry, Best defensive player (2nd overall)This is a no-brainer pick, if they keep it. You have to be pleased when the best player in the draft falls to you at #3. Curry becomes the Chiefs version of Patrick Willis. There could be some interest in this pick from other teams.

Seattle Seahawks - Eugene Monroe 3rd best player This is a tough pick to project. The Seahawks hold a lot of cards here. There are a handful of players that are worth taking here, but none really perfectly meet up with their most pressing needs. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle is a hotspot for some trade activity. They could move up to get at Aaron Curry to replace Julian Peterson, or move down and get a target that fits need/value better. If they swap with KC, who could add the 2nd rounder they lack, the Chiefs could take Orakpo to fill their need for a pass rush (and transition to 3-4). Again, Michael Crabtree would have to be a consideration if the Seahawks keep the #4 pick, although they look fine with T.J., Burleson and Branch healthy.

Cleveland Browns - Brian Orakapo, 2nd best defensive player (5th overall) Michael Crabtree is a consideration again with the rumors of the Browns shopping Braylon Edwards. I can't see that happening unless a deal for Edwards actually goes down prior to draft day. To me, the Browns have to grab a piece for their 3-4 defense. Need meets value here.

This is my opinion... so hammer me if you wish

Last edited by Dave19642006; 03-30-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

I really think that you are going to see a bunch of trades in regards to the draft. I think Jacksonville would like to trade down in the draft if they can. Then if the Browns can trade Edwards and the Broncos trade Cutler it will be an interesting top 10 in the draft

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hurdleisu24 View Post
    I really think that you are going to see a bunch of trades in regards to the draft. I think Jacksonville would like to trade down in the draft if they can. Then if the Browns can trade Edwards and the Broncos trade Cutler it will be an interesting top 10 in the draft
    I sort of agree. I feel like everyone wants to trade down, but I haven't heard of anyone wanting to trade up so that could be a cog. At the same time, I haven't been following this too much.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 13

The Lions are definately trying to trade their #1 pick but everything I have read has stated that there are no takers yet. It's probably b/c of the guaranteed money that comes with the #1 pick and so many talented players on the trading block.

IMO, I think the Lions should take another WR!!! It has definately worked for them so far!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Crabtree is the REAL deal.