Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 21

Coach Paul Rhoads (Live in studio) Sound~Off tonight!

He'll be on shortly Keith & Andy just said...
    Even Bill Fennelly will speak live (via phone call)

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 181

Re: Coach Paul Rhoads (Live in studio) Sound~Off tonight!

are they going to have a hawk meltdown w/ all the transfers?

Not that I think they should take away from BF and the cyclone women...

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 135

wow.. wants to see glenn beck ******* by a polar bear on live tv.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Man, I hope Rhoads is successful. Chizik reminded me of some young kid out of college that got a position he wasn't ready for. Rhoads seems to have a realistic plan on how to move forward.

Someone should ask coach if he is still trying to recruit for this season.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Paul seems like he has his "stuff" together. I like the choices he made for the coaching staff and has an optimistic view on Cyclone football. It's a start to a new era and I can't wait to see how things progress. He must also have some great things to offer the players as there was only one transfer that I know of during this transition. Rhoads impressed me last night and I hope for the best for him, his staff, and the dedicated players.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Not sold on Rhoads. All people keep talking about is the fact he's an Iowan. Are we really that closed of a community that we really only accept those from here?

Rhoads acts like he has his **** together because that's what he's getting paid to do.

He's making a lot of promises and I hope the team takes on the image he's projecting. I don't care too much about Ws and Ls this year, but if the team isn't more physical, disciplined, and fundamental, then I will have a big problem. If he fullfills these, then I think he wins a fanbase over pretty quickly....

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 805
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 69

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    Not sold on Rhoads. All people keep talking about is the fact he's an Iowan. Are we really that closed of a community that we really only accept those from here?

Rhoads acts like he has his **** together because that's what he's getting paid to do.

He's making a lot of promises and I hope the team takes on the image he's projecting. I don't care too much about Ws and Ls this year, but if the team isn't more physical, disciplined, and fundamental, then I will have a big problem. If he fullfills these, then I think he wins a fanbase over pretty quickly....
    I am not sold on him being a great head coach, but I am not going to throw rocks at the guy either. He needs to given a chance to prove what he is building will work. If he can have a defense that doesn't look like a junior high team in terms of exicution, that would be a huge improvement.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I am not sold on him being a great head coach, but I am not going to throw rocks at the guy either. He needs to given a chance to prove what he is building will work. If he can have a defense that doesn't look like a junior high team in terms of exicution, that would be a huge improvement.
    I agree. While it's nice to see someone who wants to be in this position, it seems to be enough for almost everyone the fact he's from Iowa. I just think that mentality is a reason why we landed McDermott and it hasn't exactly translated into success.

It's all kind of funny how it turned out. We dropped McCarney to try to go to the next level, but now we hire someone who "reminds people of McCarney". It's like now we just want to get back to the level of winning 40% of our games, and going to a bowl game sometimes. I get that's an upgrade over the past few years, but for as long as the North isn't exactly stellar, I want us to be able to be competitive within it.

Like I said before, I think it will take a couple of years at least to get this program to where PR can get it, and I'll be patient for those years. I could just see this exploding in our face, because all people like to point out is the fact he's an Iowan. This is all good when we aren't playing, no one is complaining, etc. We'll see how it all works out on Saturdays when times get a little rough.

When I played ball, we always talked about how you measure a team based on how they react and what they do when times are bad, not good. When times are good, it's easy. I'm not saying times are good, but PR is def. in a honeymoon-phase right now and eventually that will wear off.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 6

PeeWee Herman could come in and coach this better than the previous regime.

question is ...how much better

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

What came back to get McCarney was a lack of recruiting and some poor gameday plans, in particular, really sitting on any lead.

If Rhoads can improve on those two things in particular, I think it'll be fine if they compare him to McCarney.

Recruit
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Rhoads is already way ahead of Chizik, simply by looking at his coaching hires. He had a plan:

1. DC and OC -- get legit guys who can compete at this level. As opposed to GC hiring 2 underqualified cronies who's career trajectories weren't nearly as good as his. Taking the time to hire Burnham is an example of Rhoads sticking to his plan.

2. Other assistants -- get guys w/ coaching and recruiting experience in the Big 12 region. For instance, I love the fact that he raided Rice, a Texas school.

3. Get guys with Iowa ties. Some people are pooh poohing this but it's important. Contrast that to Rhoads first D-line hire who left after 2 weeks when a job was offered at Mississipi. Many of the other hires have some hooks here.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by clonehome View Post
    Rhoads is already way ahead of Chizik, simply by looking at his coaching hires. He had a plan:

1. DC and OC -- get legit guys who can compete at this level. As opposed to GC hiring 2 underqualified cronies who's career trajectories weren't nearly as good as his. Taking the time to hire Burnham is an example of Rhoads sticking to his plan.

2. Other assistants -- get guys w/ coaching and recruiting experience in the Big 12 region. For instance, I love the fact that he raided Rice, a Texas school.

3. Get guys with Iowa ties. Some people are pooh poohing this but it's important. Contrast that to Rhoads first D-line hire who left after 2 weeks when a job was offered at Mississipi. Many of the other hires have some hooks here.
    1 & 2 are what makes Rhoads look like a better coach to me than Chizik while he was here. I am not too concerned about 3 though.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Benny34 View Post
    1 & 2 are what makes Rhoads look like a better coach to me than Chizik while he was here. I am not too concerned about 3 though.
    #1 is the biggest reason I am excited about Rhoads. I'm not certain that Herman and Wally will have success here, but you know that they have had success somewhere. Chiz's guys were suspect hires, but I (and many of us) went with it because Chizik seemed to be such a great hire. Wally's experience and Herman's rep as an up and coming OC really make me feel Paul will be free to run his team as he sees fit.

Like I said, I am not anointing CPR, Herman, and Wally as the saviors just yet, but after the Chizik debacle, I really feel better now than I did then (hindsight is 20/20).

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 20

I don't care too much about Ws and Ls this year, but if the team isn't more physical, disciplined, and fundamental, then I will have a big problem. If he fullfills these, then I think he wins a fanbase over pretty quickly....
    It's easy to say this now, but at the end of the season, no one really judges a coach on anything other than the Ws and Ls. Although, it won't take many to beat last year.