Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 84

Des Moines Marathon

Ok guys, who here has done it? I've never had the desire to run in a marathon but have "decided" to give it a whirl this year. Is it lame to only run the half-marathon? Is the full marathon suicide? Is it wise running a marathon the day after a full day of tailgating (ISU has a home game against Baylor the day before)?

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

Re: Des Moines Marathon

for your first marathon, go up to MN and do Grandma's Marathon, or another one of the big ones. More people, more handouts along the route, nice view of the lakes, etc.

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

I am strongly considering the DM Marathon as well. Probably the half. Ok, who am I kidding it will be just the half.

I'd most likely go alcohol free (uncharted waters) for the tailgate/game.

Anyone who has done the DM Marathon or any of them I could also use some pointers as to what to do, what not to, etc. Thanks.

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,099
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 0

I'd do a 5 or 10 k. That is my limit.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 143

I've done the half a couple times, once in pretty good shape and once with little to no training and the biggest difference was not in my time but in the way I felt the days following. I haven't done any others, but there was plenty of entertainment and runners in the DM marathon to keep me interested the whole way.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 107

I'm interested in doing the half, but the $50 fee makes it hard for me to justify, when I'm on a student budget and I'm donating, getting 2 season tickets, 80/35, etc all taking up my entertainment funds. I do however plan on working up to doing a 13 mile run by the end of this summer. I run between 3 and 5 miles 4-5 times per week, so I could probably go out and do it, and absolutely kill myself, but I'd rather work up to it, and be somewhat competent in doing so.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,171
    Given: 602

I jogged a quarter mile with my son today. That is my personal record from the last ten years or so. I'm thinking no on the marathon idea.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

The Des Moines marathon isn't that exciting to be honest. I haven't done it, but I work with many runners and they aren't the hugest fan. Chicago or Minneapolis will be better.

You could always do the half. You wouldn't kill yourself and I can guarentee you've been challenged. I've only done some 5ks and 10ks, but that's what I know.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have done the Des Moines Marathon before. The actual event was good, last two miles or so were tough. The toughest part is the training, running continuously for over 3 hours and working you mileage up. The training gets boring. I started training 6 weeks prior, with a 10k base. In the fall, prior to the marathon, you lose daylight, so its harder and harder to get longer runs in after work. I believe I was up to 22 miles 2 weeks out from the race, then tapered runs off. You can work your way up in the spring with the Drake Half marathon, then Dam to Dam. I like doing these events every year. I would rather do triathlons, Olympic size, which have more variety than running a complete marathon, and are less abusive on feet, knees, etc.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 339

Quote Originally Posted by crash_zone View Post
    for your first marathon, go up to MN and do Grandma's Marathon, or another one of the big ones. More people, more handouts along the route, nice view of the lakes, etc.
    I agree with this one. I did Grandma's full marathon and it was a good event.

Having said that, I'm not a real fan of running the marathon. I did it once just to say I did it but the training itself is a killer. I spent a good portion of a summer training for this event and it really burnt me out. After I did the marathon I never really got back to where I was before because it wasn't fun anymore. I had a lot more fun doing events like Dam to Dam where the training is a lot less intense.

Your results may vary and keep in mind that I'm a cow that runs 10 minute miles.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,303
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 84

Yeah, I'm not going to try and set records, just doing it to do it. You bring up a good point, dmclone, about being burnt out after the event. I think because of that I might stick to the half-marathon. I love beer and fried foods too much to stop running altogether!

Rookie
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 19

I have done a couple of halfs (Drake and Dam to Dam) and really enjoy them. I would love to do a whole marathon, but work and 2 (soon to be 3) children under 4 don't give me enough time to properly train for a full marathon. Drake and Dam to Dam are great events in which you can use as workouts for your training. I usually train for Dam to Dam and use Drake as a workout (nice easy pace, don't kill myself).

Best advice I can give to runners. Before every workout or race always take a deuce. There is nothing worse then being in the middle of a run with no restroom around and getting the poop pains.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 339

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cy View Post
    Yeah, I'm not going to try and set records, just doing it to do it. You bring up a good point, dmclone, about being burnt out after the event. I think because of that I might stick to the half-marathon. I love beer and fried foods too much to stop running altogether!
    I can't imagine tailgating the day before a marathon. I've never had any problems with leg pain or issues after a half marathon but I can tell you that the ride home from Duluth to Des Moines after running a marathon was hell. Cramps every few minutes and just feeling like crap. It took me about 4 hours to finish the marathon and when I stopped I immediately felt bad.

As far as training, the longest I did was a 20 mile run but I was still doing probably 40 miles a week on average, which eats a lot of your time. Duluth is perfect timing wise because you can use Drake 1/2 and Dam to Dam for some of your long runs.

The other downer is that you get used to eating whatever you want during training so once the marathon is over and you quit running 40 miles a week you'll gain a bunch of weight if you're not careful.

Last edited by dmclone; 03-30-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    The Des Moines marathon isn't that exciting to be honest. I haven't done it, but I work with many runners and they aren't the hugest fan. Chicago or Minneapolis will be better.

You could always do the half. You wouldn't kill yourself and I can guarentee you've been challenged. I've only done some 5ks and 10ks, but that's what I know.
    I've signed on to do the Chicago Marathon this year. It's my first and probably only marathon, so I figured I'd make it count. It also buys me until mid-October to get ready. I'm excited to run the 10k at Midnight Madness this year since I'm already training that distance.

I'm hoping I'm built up to the point that I can at least walk after the marathon. My wife, who clearly hates me, booked a week long trip to Vegas the week after the run. We might even end up flying out the same day.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

My rule on drinking the day before big workouts/competitions: One drink, one glass of water. If you're not going for a time, you'll be fine.