Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Disturbing comments by Fennelly

Was listening to Fennelly's call in show last night and a caller asked him directly about his comments he made after the Okie State loss on Saturday night. For those of you who don't know, he stated that maybe its time for a new coach to come in and give the program a new look. The caller asked night asked him to elaborate, and he said he stood by his comments and he thinks that 12 years at one place is a long time and it might be time for a new direction in the program. He said he will evaluate after the season. This is not good folks, it really sounds like he might be moving on. A coach does not make those comments in the middle of the season unless they really mean it. It effects recruiting and his current team. Let's hope he decides to stay but as of now it does not sound good.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

Re: Disturbing comments by Fennelly

Wow, I didn't hear that.

Fennelly was on Cotlar this morning a little after 7 but I didn't get to catch it all. I heard about 10 minutes of it and they didn't mention this at all.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 136

Fennelly has had a few comments this year to the press that have seemed a bit out of place for him.
    This is pure speculation, but it may just be that working for JP is not like anything these guys had before. I mean do we have any coaches left from the BV days at all other than Fennelly.
    I'm not trying to mock JP, but once you get used to a boss running things a certain way, it is often hard to stay and work for your new one regardless of how well you like them.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I only caught a little of the show, but didn't hear that.

What I did hear was his love of ISU and enthusiasm for his work. I think BF is just frustrated right now. The team is slumping and it's one of those things that a coach just can't fix. I did hear the spot where there's doing whatever they can, notes, stats, video - to try an motivate the players.

Bill also comes off as one of those guys who'll lay down on the tracks for his players. I think some of his self loathing is intended to deflect negative attention to the kids.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56

With his throat problems and his coaching a long time I wonder if he would be looking to get into the administration side of things. He seems like the kind of guy that would be a great assistant AD.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    With his throat problems and his coaching a long time I wonder if he would be looking to get into the administration side of things. He seems like the kind of guy that would be a great assistant AD.
    Agreed. If BF wants to step down, it would be a good move by JP to keep him at ISU in some capacity. I wouldn't blame him a bit if he wanted something a little more low key, and low stress. That said, I hope he decides to stay. He's the best thing to happen to ISU womens b-ball since Wild Bill.

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 30

It may not be due to the boss but rather just frustration due to the lackluster play during the conference season. Ask anyone who has stayed in one job position/place for 10+ years and they will all admit to getting burned out at times, especially when they are becoming frustrated on a daily basis due the actions or rather inactions of their employees.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I really think that the McCarney firing severed his relationship with Pollard. McCarney and Fennelly came to ISU at the same time and were best friends. Fennelly was in tears when interviewed on television after Dan's announcement. Fennelly is probably very angry that his best friend was fired and I really don't know if he thinks he can work for Pollard anymore. If you look at Fennelly on the sidelines this year, even when we were winning all those games early, he looked miserable.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 241

Let's be honest. Iowa State has had lackluster play for about 3 years now under Bill. He might be getting frustrated if he thought this team was the one to pull ISU back to the top of the big 12.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by C.John View Post
    It may not be due to the boss but rather just frustration due to the lackluster play during the conference season. Ask anyone who has stayed in one job position/place for 10+ years and they will all admit to getting burned out at times, especially when they are becoming frustrated on a daily basis due the actions or rather inactions of their employees.
    Great points. Look at Bill Cowher for a perfect example. Granted an NFL team is much different than a women's college basketball program - yet stress, burnout, etc exist regardless.

Hopefully BF is just having a rough couple weeks and the team will get back on track. I really like the guy and hope we don't lose him.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

If Bill doesn't realize why Dan left, well then, he's a fool.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, the reasons Dan left and the reasons Bill is giving are pretty much the same. In college athletics 12 years is a lifetime at one school and it's natural for him to wonder if a new coach wouldn't breathe some life into a program that hasn't had the same level of success it was having earlier in his career.

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Maybe Bill has lost the fire. Look at what Brenda Freese (sp) did for Maryland. Sometimes, you need someone to re-energize things.

I'd still rather have Bill around though.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

Well, since we are all speculating, here's my psycho-analysis...

For the past 5 years, ISU has been playing a finesse-type, perimeter-oriented game, with minimal to non-existant inside presence and physical play. In only one of those 5 years was this scheme successful enough to get ISU to the top part of the Big 12. The finesse game has been BF's style pretty much since he came to ISU.

The finesse style worked very well for the first part of BF's tenure at ISU, because the game was less physical then, and ISU had a few players like Angie Welle who could infuse enough physical play into the game to compliment the finesse style. However, over the last several years, the Big 12 and other major conferences have taken a marked turn towards significantly more physical play. BF has tried to make the finesse style work in a physical conference, and he hasn't been able to do it consistently.

I'm sure that's been very frustrating and stressful for him, and coupled with his throat problems, could very well be pushing him towards burnout. That said, I think BF is at a crossroads in his time at ISU. If he wants to be successful in the Big 12, I think he's going to have to make a major adjustment in his game style. If he wants to stick with finesse-style ball, I think for his own sanity, he's going to have to move to a school in a less-physical conference where his present style of play will have a better chance of succeeding.

I think BF is a great, bright coach and I'd hate to see him leave ISU. I hope he decides to stay and give the physical game a try. Things often go in cycles, and the Big 12 may once again come around to the less-physical style of play, but I just don't see that happening for quite awhile.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 01-16-2007 at 02:46 PM.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Women's basketball has changed in the last few years, at least the officiating has. The officials used to call every "pattycake" foul there was. Now, they don't seem to call much of anything. This really has hurt our team as they've always been a big 3-pt shooting team. Lyndsey Medders is a great point guard, but she's slightly built and is just getting bumped and held and wore out during the game. We're getting fouled inside all the time and since we're not strong enough to finish the shot and there's no foul called, it's tough to score. It sounds like the whole team is out of sync and frustrated. It's just an ugly game anymore with officials that just stand there and swallow their whistles.