Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Before any panic attacks about the Iowa game...

I love the Pollard strategy on this one. First, it will help sell season tickets, secondly, it will keep the Iowa fans from buying up all the tickets for a game in Ames, and third it will give Pollard a chance to package the left over seats with other games. Minnesota did the same for the Iowa game, they packaged the tickets with the North Dakota game so both were sell outs. This is not only smart, it's great marketing. Everyone needs to lighten up and look at the positives here.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Before any panic attacks about the Iowa game...

Quote Originally Posted by letsgostate View Post
    I love the Pollard strategy on this one. First, it will help sell season tickets, secondly, it will keep the Iowa fans from buying up all the tickets for a game in Ames, and third it will give Pollard a chance to package the left over seats with other games. Minnesota did the same for the Iowa game, they packaged the tickets with the North Dakota game so both were sell outs. This is not only smart, it's great marketing. Everyone needs to lighten up and look at the positives here.
    Agreed. The Iowa game will be a sell-out one way or another. Whatever tickets are remaining during the week, can be offered to NCC members on a first come first serve basis.

This just gives Cyclone fans time to adjust to the new changes and budget for the additional ticket cost.

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 947
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 26

I also support Jamie Pollard One Hundred Percent with the season ticket format.

Go Jamie I'm ready for the next level! More than ready!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'll give you the possibility of it selling more season tickets. It's a possibility. I don't personally think it will, at least to the degree to justify leaving thousands of empty seats which JP claims he's willing to do. We'll see, but I'll admit it could work out.

Just a question?

How did Iowa get all the tickets in 2005?

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I think its smart and Pollard knows what he is doing.

Has the man failed us yet? Absolutely not. I don't like the price increase but come on everybody knew it was coming.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 95

I completely agree with the Pollard decision on the Iowa game but then to turn around and raise prices by $90 a ticket doesn't make much sense.

How about make the announcement about the Iowa game and then leave the prices the same? I think if prices would have stayed the same you would have seen a big increase even after a disappointing year. I think adding $90 to each ticket is a pretty big increase and will hurt the average pocketbook. Coming up with $700(2 tickets) during this time of the year is a challenge for a lot of people.

Think about all those fans last year that got season tickets for the first time. If you were one of those fans would you want to renew?

So far Pollard has been right on most things so I'll assume everything will be ok but no matter what you are going to lose some fans when you make a decision like this.

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 326
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree with the fact the at a later date, package deals will be available with the Iowa game. Many schools do this to elevate attendance at games that would not be as well attended.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Although, I know that an increase is needed and people need to step up I start to wonder if this isn't too aggressive. I agree with those that are doubting the large group of first time season ticket holders that took advantage of the $99 and $150 end sections for the first time and started bringing there kids and getting a touch of the excitement of Cyclone athletics. You are going to scare a large bunch right back out of the market with this aggression and to those who do pay it I think that the NCC goal of 10% is going to suffer. You have to agree with the fact that die hards may not back down, but a good percentage are not going to pay the extra that immediately with blind faith that Chizik can put together a product worthy of the there money this early in the game. I will pay and am a die hard, but I will be very surprised if season ticket sales don't take a hit.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Pollard has a plan........he will follow the plan...........you can buy in or not......the "Jack will be packed" with or with out you.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by loboclone View Post
    Pollard has a plan........he will follow the plan...........you can buy in or not......the "Jack will be packed" with or with out you.
    You mean like last year? I don't know what games you went to but I was at all of them.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    You mean like last year? I don't know what games you went to but I was at all of them.
    I was refering to marketing tickets and packaging..........he will sell tickets beyond season ticket sales.....either discounted or package non conference games.......I didn't attend any home games last year but buy 4 season tickets and contibute to NCC........I did attend 2 away games last year.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by loboclone View Post
    I was refering to marketing tickets and packaging..........he will sell tickets beyond season ticket sales.....either discounted or package non conference games.......I didn't attend any home games last year but buy 4 season tickets and contibute to NCC........I did attend 2 away games last year.
    Oh I didn't realize you were talking about the special packages. Yeah those will all be sold. I'm thinking those are the way to go.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm curious how other cyclone fans would feel if this strategy sold 15,000 season tickets to Iowa fans (I'm not expecting this). Would you do it every year accepting 15,000 empty seats for every other game, as long as the ticket revenue still comes into the athletic department?

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

That would be an interesting discussion.

Namely because after "money woes" on the ISU fan gripe list is "Lack of attendance/fan support". We already hear it in regards to Parquet season ticket holders in basketball.

The scenario you lay out helps one, not the other. Given those circumstances, soon we'll be hearing about how having 15K empty seats week after week, save one game, will negatively impact recruiting, etc.

Doesn't matter - he's not doing this to keep Iowa (Nebraska) fans out as much as to simply generate more revenue. ISU has already kept Iowa out, at least at the ticket window.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

I think its a sound strategy. As you said, Iowa fans aren't going to buy season tickets, it would kill them. Who would buy Iowa season tickets to see us play IC?

The big thing in IMO is that as JP said, people need to get out of their comfort zone. In the past, its been so easy for so many people to just say, "I'll go to the ISU-Iowa game this year" and that's it. Some of those people won't be going to the game this year, but some will buy season tickets. Yes, it will cost them more, but then again they'll have tickets to every single other game this year. With tickets to all games in hand, they may go to more games which would be great. They may not be able to make all the games, but still I think the strategy is sound because some won't go, but it will be incentive for some to buy the season tickets. Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't include the Nebraska game too.